Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can Our Players Really Be Motivated?

+5
Angry Dad
gloswhite
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Can Our Players Really Be Motivated? Empty Can Our Players Really Be Motivated? Fri May 04 2012, 13:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Simple question really, when you're earning £20k, £30k or even £40k per week can you ever really be motivated to give 100% for Bolton Wanderers FC?

Let's face it, footballers over the last few years have been very well paid, but there was a time not so long ago where a win bonus meant something to the players.

When you're taking home £40k per week does a win bonus really mean anything? Once you've got your nice house (or two), flash car, and high class hooker on speed-dial, how much cash can you actually spend? Is another £5k for winning a football match going to mean much?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Good question and to be honest it comes down to the individual in question, you come accross players now and again who just love the game and would give there right arm to play for premier leagie teams.

Sadly they have become a dying breed, I think I could only name you a handful of players on our books at the moment who play for us, NRC, Riley, Bogdan, SKD and would go as far to say Ream.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Football will never be competitive until a salary cap is brought in.

Players are entitled from an early age, get 10-12 thousand a week before they even make it to the fist team bench.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It begs the question why do we support these overpaid ponces? Surely we have better things to do?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Apparently not

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Not by this numpty.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that so many of these players are out of contract in the summer. I get the feeling many of them feel "Well I won't be here next year so who gives a ****".
They don't look motivated. This is why you see little clubs in the league get results against teams many divisions higher, because the small club's players are all so motivated and want to win. Whereas when we play the big clubs we get slaughtered because the players don't give a shit. This is why players like Grant Holt is doing so well, he gives a crap.
What we should do is sign all the best players out of league 2 and give them their chance to play in the Premiership. They'd give everything. I'd rather have a league 2 player giving his all than some of our shower who couldn't give a shiny one.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

For me this article sums up how bad of a motivator Coyle actually is, I mean I know Ian Holloway can be a bit of a prick sometimes on tv but there is a guy who can motivate players, the football blackpool play though they got relegated is a joy to watch at times.

Barking out the orders on the touchline, actually telling players what position to be in and bollocking them when they make a fuck up, unlike coyle who I have never once seen shout at a player or give tactical advice out to other players during a game.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:For me this article sums up how bad of a motivator Coyle actually is, I mean I know Ian Holloway can be a bit of a prick sometimes on tv but there is a guy who can motivate players, the football blackpool play though they got relegated is a joy to watch at times.

Barking out the orders on the touchline, actually telling players what position to be in and bollocking them when they make a fuck up, unlike coyle who I have never once seen shout at a player or give tactical advice out to other players during a game.

It comes down to good/bad management skills. It doesn't matter whether you're a footballer or an office manager, the softly-softly approach to management almost never works. People need an authority figure. Holloway is that man. You can probably have a joke with him, but step out of line and you get a smack in the face.

It wouldn't surprise me if it came out over the Summer that Nigel Reo-Coker was actually picking the team.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

aaron_bwfc wrote:

You must be blind then Aaron. What a ridiculous comment. What do you think he is doing when he is shouting on the touchline? Asking them for the time?

Didn't Coyle give a BBC post match interview after the Villa game where he said he "bollocked" the players at half time? I suppose your answer will be that he made that up, because it's the only alternative you have other than to accept you're wrong.

I can accept fair criticism of Coyle, of any of the players, but I'm rapidly getting tired of every thread on this forum ending up as being about Coyle.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I can accept fair criticism of Coyle, of any of the players, but I'm rapidly getting tired of every thread on this forum ending up as being about Coyle.

It's a Bolton forum and Coyle is the manager, what do you expect us to talk about?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

largehat wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:

You must be blind then Aaron. What a ridiculous comment. What do you think he is doing when he is shouting on the touchline? Asking them for the time?

Didn't Coyle give a BBC post match interview after the Villa game where he said he "bollocked" the players at half time? I suppose your answer will be that he made that up, because it's the only alternative you have other than to accept you're wrong.

Thing is, though, Coyle is to other other extreme to what Megson was.

Megson had no man-management and his public relations with fans, pres etc was virtually non-existant. If you had been told off by him I assume you would take it like water off a ducks back knowing that his time was limited - due to fans.

Coyle, on the other hand is too much PR with fans, TV (how many times, since Coyle came to the 'Bok has Bolton been on Soccer AM???) and he seems to be too pally with the players so being told off by hime would be like just mouthing off as the player(s) involved would then be pally with Coyle again moments later.

If anything Holloway is a decent manager in his man-mangement skills, and to be fair, i do like his post-match interviews - he holds no punches and tells it the way it actually is, whether it upsets the refs, or United, or not.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I fancy Blackpool to replace us in the PL.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's the point, he doesn't shout at them, I sit about 20 yards away from coyle at the reebok and the only things I frequently hear him shout is ''come on boys'', claps his hand and waves his arms about. He leaves the shouting and orders, if you want to call them orders to his assistants.

Yes he did say and i'm not saying I don't believe him because I do but how many times over the course of his reign here has he actually done that? I wouldn't say a lot given some of our performances.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The question shuldn't be 'Can our players be motivated', but 'Can our manager motivate our players? The answer is 'No'

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The character of individual players is part of it, but there are other factors. It's unlikely we'll ever be able to sign established stars, but it's a team game and many teams have upset the odds (including ourselves in the past) by creating a culture whereby the whole is greater than the constituent parts. When that happens, it exceeds the players expectations (and ours) and that it a great motivator.

We have a crop of young players about to come through and I just hope they've got the character to put the work in and build partnerships all over the pitch. If they do, they might just surprise themselves.

Whether or not OC can create the culture to get the best out of everyone is another question, but so far he's shown that he is gearing up to working with a group of younger signings and academy players to create something new for the long term future of the club. He's stuck to his guns on this as evidenced by his buying and has resisted splashing out on established players - and it may be at the expense of our prem status in the near future - but maybe, just maybe he's got a plan to clear out the high paid players with "attitude" and throw what limited resources we have behind the youngsters. Such a show of confidence in them may well produce a highly motivated team of the future. We'll see.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The character of individual players is part of it, but there are other factors. It's unlikely we'll ever be able to sign established stars, but it's a team game and many teams have upset the odds (including ourselves in the past) by creating a culture whereby the whole is greater than the constituent parts. When that happens, it exceeds the players expectations (and ours) and that it a great motivator.

We have a crop of young players about to come through and I just hope they've got the character to put the work in and build partnerships all over the pitch. If they do, they might just surprise themselves.

Whether or not OC can create the culture to get the best out of everyone is another question, but so far he's shown that he is gearing up to working with a group of younger signings and academy players to create something new for the long term future of the club. He's stuck to his guns on this as evidenced by his buying and has resisted splashing out on established players - and it may be at the expense of our prem status in the near future - but maybe, just maybe he's got a plan to clear out the high paid players with "attitude" and throw what limited resources we have behind the youngsters. Such a show of confidence in them may well produce a highly motivated team of the future. We'll see.

Where's the evidence that any of these young players you speak of are going to come through? How many has Coyle given a chance in the first team?

This myth that Coyle is building for the future is starting to piss me off. I don't see a single player at this club, other than Holden, that will be anything but average in the Championship.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Wander, are you saying that OC is actually de-motivating the current team by placing the emphasis on up and coming players ?. There could be some truth in that, because he doesn't seem to have a clue about getting the older ones in the right mind-set. I would have thought that his remit was to ensure our stay in a lucrative PL. I believe he's got the balance wrong, and is trying to do too much too soon, and has, (pardon the pun), taken his eye off the ball. As a result we have become less than mediocre, with no future assured. All-in-all, a piss poor performance overall .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum