Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom Walker super show proves he can make step up at Bolton Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers boss Neil Lennon would have no problem picking young winger Tom Walker again at Ipswich Town tonight after his impressive full debut against Millwall.

The 19-year-old Salfordian stepped into the team when Saidy Janko was uncomfortable in the warm-up at the weekend.

But Lennon was pleased with his response and says the youth team graduate has the right temperament to deal with senior football on a more regular basis.

The Whites manager told The Bolton News: “I thought he was great for his debut. He was thrown in at the last minute because of the injury to Saidy.

“He grew into the game. We have been itching to get him in and that will have done him the world of good.

“He has got over that barrier now of 'Can I play in the first team? Can I play 90 minutes, Can I play in a winning team?

"Hopefully, that will be a weight off his shoulders.”

Lennon has high hopes for the teenager who has joined ex-youth team-mate Zach Clough in the senior ranks and says he too could earn an improved contract in time.

Lennon said: “I think he signed a professional contract not so long ago so we have got him tied up.

“We may, if things keep going well, look to improve his contract as you do with all younger players.”

Walker’s involvement on Saturday came after Janko was withdrawn pre-match.

The Manchester United loanee is awaiting scan results on his long-standing back problem and is unlikely to travel to Ipswich but Lennon hopes he may be available for the trip to Wigan at the weekend.

The Whites boss added: “He has had his scan but we haven't had results back yet. I don't think it is major.

“It is a neurological problem that can be resolved. That's the impression we get unless there is something more sinister that comes in off the scan.

"And he has had this problem before; not just with Bolton. It is not just the Bolton jinx. He will be doubtful for Ipswich but he should be okay for weekend."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum