Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newspaper bull? - Bolton set Fee at £3.5 million for Mark Davies

+11
CEF
doffcocker
Lofty_Love
terenceanne
chipbutty
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
largehat
Born to be a wanderer
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I actually don't think 3.5 mill is bad..

Ream-2.5
Wheater-2.5
Eagles-1.5
Sordell-3.5

All add more to the team than Mark does (ok we don't actually know about Sordell yet but he certainly does look better than MD)

8-10 million mark is a ridiculous price to expect him to be sold, he had a relatively bad season for a relegated side..

I would say 4 million + add-ons would be fair for him, so if we get 3.5 million with add ons I won't mind too much.

Of course Im going to think its a wind up, nobody in their right mind would argue that Okocha wasn't a good player for us. Bolton fan or not.

I never said that Nolan wasn't a good player did I? My point is he wasn't as good as Okocha. I wouldn't be too certain Nolan would of kept us up, he scored some great goals for us but I never really saw his all round contribution as spectacular.

As I said Borgetti was talented, but he never played as well for us as he did for Mexico (partly Sam's fault yes) but you say you rate him higher than Okocha, despite him only making 19 appearances for us?

Okocha wasn't playing every week, he was 32 and we didn't offer him a contract, he wasn't expecting to be picked up by a bigger club was he? The difference between him and Stubbs is blatant.

It's your opinion, which your entitled to, I'm just pointing out that your argument is flawed. Of course he's glorified now, but how often do you see a player that is as entertaining as him at Bolton? Fans everywhere loved him and that's a big reason why he's legend. I'd rather watch him skin opponents and score wonder goals, than see a 10 minute cameo from borgetti, that's my opinion clearly yours is different.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Mark Davies is like a Taarabt.

Very gifted, but doesn't show it often enough.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What i don't understand is why you either have to be brilliant or the worst player ever.

people with brains understand there is something in between that, and generally thats where all our players land.

very particular skills or all rounders with average ability in all areas.

Mark Davies one skill is his ability to get the ball in the whole, turn and run at defenders, he's very good at it.

The other areas of his game leave a lot to be desired, so the perfect spot for him would be just behind a striker, allowing to do what he does best. Having him as a lynchpin midfielder in a 4-4-2 negates everything he can do.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mark Davies had the highest pass completion rate at the club this season. He's not a one trick pony Hipster. I'd put him around the same ability level and valuation as someone like Tom Cleverley.

Lofty Love - none of the four players you mention were proven performers at PL level and other factors suppressed their fees.

Ream - unknown quantity from a tinpot league, overseas player too, and a defender so not possible to compare.

Wheater and Eagles - both in the last year of their contracts and also not central midfielders so difficult to compare.

Sordell - had never kicked a ball at the highest level, and we don't really know if this was a good value signing or not. Even if he turns out to be a bargain, it doesn't oblige us to sell one of our better players at a bargain price. Perhaps Davies is worth £15m if Jordan Henderson is worth £20m?

When employed in the right system Mark Davies can play for a top 6 club. He is pretty young, English and has 4 years of PL experience.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not saying he's a one trick pony, I'm saying his one specific skill or "stand out" skill if you like is his ability to turn and run.

IMO the other areas of his game are just average. He's a good passer of the ball but rarely splits the defence with a pass or goes long so it doesn't surprise me his pass completion is high.

I think Tim Ream is an elite passer of the ball at our level, he has the ability to pick a pass, short, medium or long and will only get better at it.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

largehat wrote:Mark Davies had the highest pass completion rate at the club this season. He's not a one trick pony Hipster. I'd put him around the same ability level and valuation as someone like Tom Cleverley.

Perhaps Davies is worth £15m if Jordan Henderson is worth £20m?

Most of those were backward or sideways passes, he made very few forward passes, especially to the strikers.

How many assists does he have? like 3 all season? not fantastic if you going to be arguing that its his passing ability that makes him good.

Tom Cleverley!? no chance. No one even mentioned Davies for best player of the season, or as a player who could win us a game, he has never been an integral part to our team, he has not had a great season for us, he hasn't had a poor one, but it hasn't been good.

Next year we will have Holden back to make passes in midfield (ones that actually mean something), sell Mark Davies for 3.5-4.5 mill + add ons and get a strong experienced championship midfielder in.

ideally of course id like to keep him and still spend money, but if we do need to sell someone, I don't mind it being Davies.

And Jordan Henderson isn't worth 20 mill and he has proved it, if someone is stupid enough to pay 8-10 mill for M.Davies then I won't complain, but his worth realistically is around 4 mill + 2 mill in add ons.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Sorry LH I am not sure I can agree on you about Davies being on par with Cleverley, not sure sparky is quite that good yet.

Anywho Coyle has insisted Mark isn't going anywhere:-

I don’t worry about other clubs because I brought those players in to play for Bolton Wanderers,” he told The Bolton News.

“I’m under no pressure to sell our best young players. We’re building a team for the future and we thought we could do it on the back of staying in the Premier League. We didn’t do that, and it’s horrible. As a manager I’ve got to accept I’m the one who puts them out there and brings them to the club, so I’ll take it on board

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lofty_Love wrote:
Most of those were backward or sideways passes, he made very few forward passes, especially to the strikers.

How many assists does he have? like 3 all season? not fantastic if you going to be arguing that its his passing ability that makes him good.

Tom Cleverley!? no chance. No one even mentioned Davies for best player of the season, or as a player who could win us a game, he has never been an integral part to our team, he has not had a great season for us, he hasn't had a poor one, but it hasn't been good.

Next year we will have Holden back to make passes in midfield (ones that actually mean something), sell Mark Davies for 3.5-4.5 mill + add ons and get a strong experienced championship midfielder in.

ideally of course id like to keep him and still spend money, but if we do need to sell someone, I don't mind it being Davies.

And Jordan Henderson isn't worth 20 mill and he has proved it, if someone is stupid enough to pay 8-10 mill for M.Davies then I won't complain, but his worth realistically is around 4 mill + 2 mill in add ons.

All I said about his passing was that he had the best pass completion rate in the team last season. I didn't say he was Jan Molby. I was replying to Hipster who suggested his only strength was being able to run with the ball.

I know Jordan Henderson isn't worth £20m but nothing pisses me off more than people saying 'Player X was worth Y so Player Z must be worth A'. You can illustrate any player is worth any amount if you use that type of logic. Stuart Holden was a nominal fee... therefore we should be letting Mark Davies go on a free because Holden is better. I'd rather we focussed on the actual player instead of making irrelevant comparisons in transfer value.

Which is why I compare him to Cleverley, because he's never gone for a fee, I believe they are similar in terms of ability and role.

I said £7m for Davies earlier in the thread. You say £4m + £2m add-ons. We're not actually a million miles away are we?

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

JJ Okocha scored 2 vital goals in 2003 v WHU and the Free Kick v Boro to make it 2-0.His hat trick v Villa 2005 that got us to the Carling Cup Final was magnificent.The Free Kick v Villa was rated as one of the best all time free kicks outside of his boot.The guy was pure class.Natasha is just trying to get a rise out of people.Change the batteries in your rampant Rabbit love.Mark Davies won us 3 pens on the run in Wolves,Villa,WBA.Thats cos he gets in around the box.The equaliser v Stoke albeit with a rebound but you got to be in it to win it.With better forward play Sordell,N,gog he with Holden will help bring us back up.Nolan better than JJ.LOL.I am a great admirer of Nolan as he uses what he has got to 100%.Borgetti LMFAO.Mark Davies we have a young player who is quality.Anyone who would sell him for £3.5 mill is a complete knobhead.We have a good nucleus of young talent and experience we need to get rid of Zat Shyte, thaats for sure.Maybe if WHU go up he will go there.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Born to be a wanderer, excellent post, very well said.

Natasha, it is indeed "time to change the batteries in your Rampant Rabbit love."

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Too many times I've seen Mavies with the oppertunity to turn into space and move forward...but instead he passes it sideways for Ricketts or Ream etc to then hoof it up field. It may be a confidence thing..... but he needs to take responsibility as a play maker. A season in the Championship will tell, otherwise he's an also ran for me.

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

This is like Groundhog Year. I remember the 'JJ is Crap' nonesense like it was yesterday.

he was without doubt the most talented footballer to ever pull on a BWFC shirt.

he made the Pele top 100. Enough said!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CEF wrote:This is like Groundhog Year. I remember the 'JJ is Crap' nonesense like it was yesterday.

he was without doubt the most talented footballer to ever pull on a BWFC shirt.

he made the Pele top 100. Enough said!!

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player overall, but if you take his Bolton career in isolation he flattered to deceive.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
CEF wrote:This is like Groundhog Year. I remember the 'JJ is Crap' nonesense like it was yesterday.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player overall, but if you take his Bolton career in isolation he flattered to deceive.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
He was average, nothing more and nothing less.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Okocha did have a terrific throw in don't forget.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Natasha Whittam wrote:
He was average, nothing more and nothing less.

You're just being a prick now. He may have been a world-beater before he signed for Bolton, I am judging him purely on his Bolton career.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Genius.

Last edited by aaron_bwfc on Sat May 19 2012, 19:17; edited 1 time in total

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What do you think the rest of the conversation has been about, his Eintracht Frankfurt career? You are a total weapon if you think you can explain away completely contradicting yourself away with an insult and a big swerve.

Go get some new batteries for your Rampant Rabbit love.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The whole time I have been talking about his Bolton career, why would I talk about anything else? When we say Ngog is crap are we supposed to include his Liverpool career as well?

I suspect you just can't accept I am right, Okocha was ok but nowhere near a Bolton legend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum