Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers takeover talk steps up a notch

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Takeover talk at Wanderers has stepped up a notch as reports in Northern Ireland claim a multi-million pound consortium led by top businessman Gerry Carlile is seriously considering a bid for the club.

Although played down for weeks from within the walls of the Macron Stadium, momentum now appears to be gathering behind rumours that the Belfast restaurateur and nightclub owner is in talks with owner Eddie Davies and chairman Phil Gartside.

Carlile was unavailable for comment when approached by The Bolton News but a report in Belfast yesterday quoted a colleague, who backed up suggestions he was currently speaking with the club.

“Gerry is not denying it, which has only added to the speculation,” he said.

“Like all important business deals he is saying nothing until it actually comes off.”

To add further weight to the claim, Carlile is known to be a friend of Wanderers boss Neil Lennon, who has been the sole voice confirming talks were taking place in the background over the last month.

Speaking last week the manager admitted investment would be a significant boost in a summer where he was looking to reinforce his squad.

“I think there are talks ongoing, yes, but whether it materialises or not I cannot say at this stage,” he said. “I’ll leave that to the people behind the scenes.

“It would be welcome, obviously, it would be helpful. But we don’t want to go down the road of throwing millions at it and it not working out.”

Carlile has previously worked as a football agent, representing players such as Niall McGinn, Paddy McCourt and Anthony Stokes.

The structure of the consortium he is said to be fronting is not yet known, nor is the size of the potential investment.

Wanderers have made no secret of their desire to find outside investment and it is claimed they have also spoken to businessmen in Israel.

Last year a group of Thai investors spoke publicly about investing in the club only for their interest to come to nothing.

It seems likely that without added investment, Lennon will have little to spend this summer as he looks to refurbish his first-team squad.

Lifelong fan Davies has bankrolled the club through his company Burnden Leisure since becoming the major shareholder in 2003. Prior to that he had been a non-executive director since 1999.

It has been suggested that Davies would have to write off most or all the money owed to him by Wanderers – some £167million – in order for a deal to go through.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It would be a magnificent gesture if Ed wrote off the debt and a much-needed boost to the finances for rebuilding so I hope it comes off.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just in...

Bolton Wanderers deny takeover talks

Wanderers have categorically denied talks have taken place with an Irish consortium over a potential takeover of the club.

Reports from Northern Ireland over the weekend suggested a multi-million pound consortium, led by businessman Gerry Carlile, was considering a bid for Wanderers.

But in statement to The Bolton News this morning, Wanderers say no such talks have taken place.

The statement said: "In response to an article published in The Bolton News on Monday 11 May, 2015, Bolton Wanderers can categorically deny that any talks between the club and a potential Irish consortium have taken place.

"The club will be making no further comment."

Despite the denial, there have been rumours in recent weeks talks were taking place.

And while the reported interest has now been played down by the club's bosses, manager Neil Lennon has publicly stated it was his belief talks were taking place.

Speaking just last week, Lennon said: “I think there are talks ongoing, yes, but whether it materialises or not I cannot say at this stage. I’ll leave that to the people behind the scenes."

A media report in Northern Ireland on Sunday quoted a source said to be a colleague of Carlile as saying: "Gerry is not denying it, which has only added to the speculation.”

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gartside won't allow it he's planning to sell of our best players this summer for peanuts and force the clubs down the jfdajshgkjsdhjkbdsvnxnjg... 

Sleep

oops sorry nodded off.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You wonder why all the secrecy ..... what difference does it make if we know there are talks or not.

As for the debt...if that can be written off Eddie's long term taxes the deal might get done. If not the money is already gone and will not be recouped in the near future.  Then another 2 mill payoff to get rid of Phil..... and we are golden.

Well, somebody's telling fibs and it's either Lennon or Gartside.

Which one do I trust and believe......?

Hmmm.....?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon probably pitched it to his mate and said "aye go and have a word with Garty I need some money"

then went infront of the media and said "yeah talks have happened"

yeah they probably did.

"Hi is Phil there?"
"Yes?"
"I'm interested in investi...."
"Not interested" 
"hello? Phil? Hello"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum