Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sir Bradley Wiggins breaks world record!

+6
wanderlust
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
BoltonTillIDie
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Because Wiggins didn't hit his target doesn't mean he's not worthy of the world record. I'm sure many people set themselves targets and don't achieve them. I don't understand the hate you appear to have for Wiggins. He's done well and at the moment is worthy of his titles, but as we all know records are there to be broken and more than likely will be broken at some point.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:
Yes your right - I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about after following cycling for over thirty years.

Probably best if I just spout off on things I know fuck all about.

Just like you have.

I know what I'm talking about because Bradley Wiggins' record is in black and white.

It's not in ifs and buts.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Cycling Weekly wrote:When he passed Dowsett’s distance with just under two minutes to go, it was a case of how much more ground he could cover. Rather than collapse on the floor, as other Hour Record riders have done, Wiggins hopped on a road bike for a victory lap of the velodrome, waving to the huge, sell-out crowd.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sir-bradley-wiggins-smashes-hour-record-with-54-526km-175594

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sir Bradley will love this......

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Plenty of top sportsman have failed to deliver, just because you are faster than another doesn't guarantee victory, everything needs to come together on the day to become an Olympic champion.

Martin failed to be at his best on that day, Wiggins delivered he's in the record books Olympic Champion. another unfortunate soul is Mark Cavendish he must be gutted, just not to be, for him.

Look at Paula Radcliffe the fastest female marathon runner by a country mile, she didn't get it right in Olympic year so someone took the title not the Champions fault she got it right.

So the fact that someone was faster the year before and the year after does not mean he would automatically win, many factors come to bear form being just one of them.

As for a world record, it is just that, the fastest man ever to complete that distance in that time, it matters not a jot that someone else may have the ability to beat it, that is the evolution of the event all records are there to be broken.
The previous guy said he rode to a speed to get him the record, and he may be able to do better, then prove it, who's to say that Wiggo cant improve on his own record.

The guy who wins on the day that matters takes the plaudits, That guy was Bradley Wiggins.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I give up.

All I tried to do was give people a bit of an insight into the sport - yet because of it I'm accused of actually hating Wiggins!

Christ I've never hated anybody in real life - and I've had my fair amount of shit dumped on me over the years - so why the fuck anybody should think I hate someone I've never even met is beyond my comprehension!

If anybody cares to read back what I've actually said, nowhere do I critise Wiggins for what he's achieved - phrases like 'fair play to him he can only beat those there on the day' or words to that effect I've used countless times.

All I've actually have said that his luck was in, in that he's been at the right place at the right time and better cyclists have either been injured or had to obey team orders - which ended their respective chances of beating him - which they would (and have!!!) when they have not been injured or team orders were lifted.

God I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known all this shit was going to happen.

I wonder how many on here even bothered to go and see Wiggins and a world class cycling field when they cycled passed the bottom of their street in the Tour of Yorkshire a few weeks ago?

And the funny thing is, is this so called Wiggins hater was the one who flagged the race up and encouraged everybody to go and see Bradley and the rest of them - free day out, something different, take the family, you might enjoy it, etc, etc - and the response I got back was basically fuck all.

I won't trouble the forum with my views on cycling from now on - as it seems most of you have a far great depth of knowledge and expertise in it than I have anyway.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hey Sluffy

Given that my grandad was a top Brit cyclist and I was compelled to do a 100 miles a day (once a week) as a 9 year old I feel I should weigh in here.
Every sport is projected according to it's commercial potential because those who pay for it want their ROI.
That may not be the view of the close followers who analyse in greater depth and in noting the "why's" come to a different conclusion - and would present it differently.
Therein lies the anomaly.
However as BTID says, it's who wins on the day - and maybe they were planning for that all along?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a debate Sluffy.  You're far more knowledgable than I am with cycling but I do respect what he has done and deserves his records.

Last edited by BoltonTillIDie on Wed Jun 10 2015, 12:15; edited 1 time in total

Sluffy wrote:I give up.

All I tried to do was give people a bit of an insight into the sport - yet because of it I'm accused of actually hating Wiggins!

Christ I've never hated anybody in real life - and I've had my fair amount of shit dumped on me over the years - so why the fuck anybody should think I hate someone I've never even met is beyond my comprehension!

If anybody cares to read back what I've actually said, nowhere do I critise Wiggins for what he's achieved - phrases like 'fair play to him he can only beat those there on the day' or words to that effect I've used countless times.

All I've actually have said that his luck was in, in that he's been at the right place at the right time and better cyclists have either been injured or had to obey team orders - which ended their respective chances of beating him - which they would (and have!!!) when they have not been injured or team orders were lifted.

God I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known all this shit was going to happen.

I wonder how many on here even bothered to go and see Wiggins and a world class cycling field when they cycled passed the bottom of their street in the Tour of Yorkshire a few weeks ago?

And the funny thing is, is this so called Wiggins hater was the one who flagged the race up and encouraged everybody to go and see Bradley and the rest of them - free day out, something different, take the family, you might enjoy it, etc, etc - and the response I got back was basically fuck all.

I won't trouble the forum with my views on cycling from now on - as it seems most of you have a far great depth of knowledge and expertise in it than I have anyway.

I think you make some fair points, and see where you're coming from.

Don't be a baby about it though, keep posting your thoughts on cycling and it's a good read for someone like me who hasn't got a clue.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When it comes to sport we all have our own opinions. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of professional cycling to comment on any individuals but I did enjoy seeing Wiggo win the Tour de France and the Olympics.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I know bugger all about the sport cycling , but what I do know is that I used to cycle everywhere at one time and Bradley Wiggins is a world record holder, an Olympic champion and a former Tour de France winner.

Which means he was cycling against a lot of other people to win them races and it takes a lot of graft to do it.

Some folk in this country always try to find a downer on our triumphant sportsmen/women. He's just broken a world record for goodness sake.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Copper Dragon wrote:I know bugger all about the sport cycling.

At least we agree on one thing.

Sluffy wrote:

Sir Bradley Wiggins breaks world record! - Page 2 9k=

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy, how old are you? :rofl:

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:

Meeow  Very Happy

Boggersbelief wrote:Sluffy, how old are you? :rofl:
don't do it boggers

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Acting like a child that had its candy taken away. Wiggins is top dog, end of

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bump!

Just thought I would let people know that Wiggins record has now been broken by a Belgium cyclist called Victor Camenaerts.

He sort of cheated a little bit in that he broke the record at altitude, which is easier than at sea level because the atmosphere is that much thinner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47955952

There's not actually been too many attempts on the record since Wiggins set it, so it has stood longer than I predicted at the time of this thread.

For the record since Wiggins won the Tour de France and Olympic gold in 2012 and set the record in 2015 he's won nothing of note and has since retired from cycling.

Chris Froome (who was the better cyclist than Wiggins in 2012 - but was prohibited to challenge him being on the same team) has since won the Tour four times as well as the Tours of Italy and Spain.

Seems I did know a little bit about cycling after all!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still gutted that my grandad's Land's End to John O'Groats tandem record was broken. Although they did it the other way round and not because they thought it would be all downhill.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

According to Bradley Wiggins:

The whole country is obsessed with celebrity and the problem is that we are getting mixed up between people who have achieved amazing things and plastic celebrities who have achieved nothing at all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bradley-wiggins-the-most-complex-man-ive-ever-met-pr7sh7lt0

Was he right?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum