Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Opening day fixtures: Four to remember

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A look back on some of the more memorable opening day fixtures involving Bolton Wanderers

On the eve of 2015/16 fixture release day, bwfc.co.uk looks back over four memorable opening day fixtures involving Bolton Wanderers from down the years.

The full Sky Bet 2015/16 Bolton Wanderers fixture list will be announced across the club's media platforms from 9am on Wednesday 17 June.

2011/12: QPR 0-4 BOLTON WANDERERS

Wanderers topped the pile after matchday one of the 2011/12 Premier League season following a comprehensive victory at Loftus Road.

Gary Cahill opened the scoring with a sublime curling effort from distance just before the interval and Bolton were out of sight after an impressive second-half showing. A Danny Gabbidon own goal, Ivan Klasnic and Fabrice Muamba ensured Bolton’s best opening day result for a decade.

2004/05: BOLTON WANDERERS 4-1 CHARLTON

Bolton flew out of the traps at the start of the 2004/05 campaign, and found themselves two goals up after just 30 minutes of play against Alan Curbishley’s side.

Jay Jay Okocha was the star of the show, as he and Henrik Pedersen helped themselves to a brace-a-piece. The Nigerian’s thumping 30-yard free kick was the pick of the goals, whilst Kevin Lisbie did net a consolation for the Addicks.

2001/02: LEICESTER 0-5 BOLTON WANDERERS

Nobody saw this one coming. Back in the big time after a three-year exile from England’s top tier, Sam Allardyce’s men swept aside Leicester at Filbert Street.

Bolton were four up by half time after a brace from Kevin Nolan and goals from Michael Ricketts and Per Frandsen. A fifth came shortly after the interval, with Frandsen once again on target in front of 2,000 delirious away supporters.

1998/99: CRYSTAL PALACE 2-2 BOLTON WANDERERS

A first season back in the Football League following relegation from the Premier League the previous season almost saw Bolton open with defeat at Selhurst Park in a topsy-turvy game.

Dean Holdsworth opened the scoring only for Matt Jansen and Sasa Curcic, one soon-to-be and one former Bolton players, to put Palace in front. But Arnar Gunnlaugsson hadn’t read the script and came off the bench to net a late equalizer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Remember the Leicester game well. I had not so long since passed my driving test and bagged myself a 1989 vauxhall Nova so me and two mates decided we would go down in the car. We took the scenic route down to Derbyshire and was planning on jumping on the motorway for the final stretch. Just before the motorway slip road I was going round a bend and a car pulled out of a junction, giving me no option but to swerve, consequently slamming into a kerb. The car flew upwards, there was shit flying everywhere, and when the car settled I looked up to find I was on the opposite side of the road with traffic coming at me exiting the motorway. This was my first road trip and to say I shit myself would be an understatement. After pushing the car into a lay by as best we could. I had to walk into Alfreton town centre and got the police to get me a pickup truck which took us to the garage where I left my car, got a lift off a random chap to the train station to get a train to Leicester. Glad I made it to the game because I would have been gutted to miss such an epic performance. One o the best games I've ever been to. 

After getting the train back to Alfreton and getting the mechanic to come and open the garage up to get my car again as it was well after they'd closed when I got back there, we drove back home saying we'll look back on this day in the future and laugh. I couldn't see it at the time because I was about £300 lighter. Good job I'd booked a week off work and got my holiday pay or I'd have been well and truly fucked. It was an experience, one I look back on fondly now.

I went to the palace game on the coach and when we reached London the coach crashed into a car and this couple looked mortified stood at the side of the road with a coach full of irate Bolton fans in danger of missing the game letting them know in no uncertain terms what they thought. Poor sods, not even sure if it was their fault. Anyway, got to the game 2 minutes before kick off. Alls well that ends well and all that.

Moral of the story - never travel to a game in the same vehicle as me or you might just regret it Very Happy

Bwfc1958 wrote:Moral of the story - never travel to a game in the same vehicle as me or you might just regret it Very Happy
Smile

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Leicester, best I've ever seen us play on opening day at any level.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum