Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gartsides thoughts on the new season Part 2 NEW

+12
Born to be a wanderer
rammywhite
Hipster_Nebula
bwfc71
Numpty 28723
Reebok_Rebel
chipbutty
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Harold77
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Note the bit in red!

Bolton Wanderers Chairman Phil Gartside has been speaking to the official website.

In a wide ranging interview, he outlined his hopes for the new season, the challenges of the 2011/12 campaign and the unprecedented events the club faced.

He confirmed that owner Eddie Davies remains 100 percent committed to backing the Wanderers, with the club having no significant bank debt.

Part one of the interview is published today, part two will follow later in the week.

Phil, do you envisage a busy summer in preparation of the 2012/13 campaign?

"Since the season finished, we have had a very active couple of weeks. We had a bit to do as regards the squad and now that's done, we start the next phase.

"Going into 2012/13, we pretty much have the same squad that we were planning to have in the Barclays Premier League, bar one, and that is exciting, as we are mixing youth with experience.

"All our younger players are on long-term contracts and if anything did change, it would be what we wanted to change and not be driven by outside interests. It will be our choice.

"Owen's plan will be backed - whatever he wants to do he will get to do it.

"We will be looking once again to bring players in on loan, and this has been very successful for us in the past couple of seasons, and the opportunity in the Championship is greater because you are not restricted to just two.

"We have enough goodwill with the teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City and we will be working hard to utilise that.

Although a way off, what are your thoughts for next season?

"We have a real chance I believe and I am looking forward to that, but nobody at our club is making the mistake of underestimating the Championship.

"You have some big clubs in the league with traditional followings, such as Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest who, let's not forget, have secured two European Cups.

"We know what we want to achieve and we are ambitious, make no mistake, but we also know we are not alone in that ambition.

"West Ham got back under Sam through the play-offs, so everyone can see what it requires to get promoted and, I guess, that's what makes it such a tough league.

What about last season?

"Well, yes, there was disappointment, for me personally as a fan as well as the Chairman, as there was too with all supporters. I am sure it was really hard for a few days as it all sunk in.

"There was a pride that we had been in the Premier League as long as we have and, in my 50-odd years supporting Bolton, those last 11 years spent in the top tier have, all in all, been pretty fantastic.

"But now it is fair to say we have come through what happened at the end of the season and we have a real desire.

"We want to do it all again, to take a place in the top tier, and there is a real positive approach to the new season in and around our club.

"Throughout the campaign there was tremendous backing for the team both at home and on their travels. We had some of the best support I can remember.

"Last season we saw our crowds at the Reebok increasing yet again, this year by over three percent.

"Attendances have increased by over 13 percent in the past four seasons and that was good because it was a clear demonstration that supporters have responded positively to our pricing policy. They helped to shape it through our consultations we undertook with fans.

"We also saw the away support rise by six percent and I have to thank the fans for their backing wherever we have played.

"Looking ahead, we have already sold over 6,000 season tickets and are expecting a particularly busy two to three weeks ahead as we fast approach the early purchase discount deadline.

"We realise that it's still tough economically and that people have hard choices to make, so we have frozen ticket prices again.

Would you say the 2011/12 season was one of the most testing times during your period as chairman of Bolton Wanderers?

"What's gone on has been challenging for us all - people who work at the club and our fans too. We have all had to cope with what was an emotional rollercoaster.

"We started off pre-season with such optimism but we lost key players through injury and then we had those unprecedented experiences.

"During my time in football, I have never had a season like that in terms of injuries and mishaps. We had some serious blows in losing Gary Speed and, when you thought things couldn't get worse, there were the events surrounding Fabrice.

"But we start next season with a clean slate. We have Chung-Yong and Stuart back in the frame and we will be looking to add to that mix too.

"Even though the 2011/12 term only finished two weeks ago, I think you can already sense the optimism amongst the fans moving into next season.

"I was at the service of remembrance last week with Owen and that always reminds you just how much our club means to people and how Bolton Wanderers runs through family's generations. It reinforced how much we strive to be a family club.

"We may not always get that right but we are always trying because we know how much and how important fans are. Players, managers and chairmen come and go but the support always remains.

"We want to take the club forward and begin a new stage, that's the aim and it would be great if we could continue to count on that support, because it is going to be a huge factor.

"If we can have good following home and away it will be a massive boost."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu 31 May - 11:28; edited 1 time in total

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

But then Gartside goes on about making loan signings so it looks like Coyle's plan will be backed as long as it doesn't involve spending much money.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So our future is going to be based on loan signings? What a great plan. We are doomed.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't expect any big money signings. We still haven't seen any return for our signing of Sordell.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Nothing wrong with loaning, were already taking back Ryo and we also still have our choice from the Chelsea loaniees so the fact that they are planning to bring in a few loans was always known.

But the whatever he wants to do he will get to do it. quote just seems a little bit like a .... lie

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

If it looks like a lie and sounds like a lie, it probably is a lie.

Don't forget there are thousands of season tickets to unload yet.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:Nothing wrong with loaning

Loaning players is a short term plan, one that will destroy this club.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gartsides full of shit...

master of spin and doublespeak.

"Going into 2012/13, we pretty much have the same squad that we were
planning to have in the Barclays Premier League, bar one, and that is
exciting, as we are mixing youth with experience.

"All our
younger players are on long-term contracts and if anything did change,
it would be what we wanted to change and not be driven by outside
interests. It will be our choice.''

the above statement, translated in to 'normal' non-bullshit means...

ive already found some potential buyers for lee, Holden and M.Davies, our REAL plan to come back up is not based on the model of keeping the players capable of doing it in the squad, its about selling them for peanuts and bringing in some loans and a few frees the other championship clubs dont want and hope we come up by a miracle, Owen coyle has been praying EXTRA hard, so dont worry...god will get us back to the promised land of the premier league relegation scrap.

the money we make from player sales will ensure myself and the Warburton's leaches and other board members will receive the same, or hopefully even better salary than we did last year...

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Tue 29 May - 10:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I put 'got' instead of god...)

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

write the date down....

I actually agree with natasha! lol!

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

We had a bit to do as regards the squad and now that's done, we start the next phase.

Next phase = Division One.

Gartside, you smug complacent piggy-faced parasite, just fcuk off back to whatever you were doing before you got involved with football because you haven't got a scooby doo, mate.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

write the date down....

I actually agree with natasha! lol!

ditto!!!!affraid

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sometimes i wonder about Bolton fans.

Threads like these are usually the catalyst.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Sometimes i wonder about Bolton fans.

Threads like these are usually the catalyst.

for what?

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I would agree.. if we were still in the Premiership, but were not. If a few loans can help with putting in some performances for us to get us promoted I think that is more important right now, its not like they drain the club of money and we are still brining in young players on contracts to the club and building for the future. We need to get promoted within these next two years or we will probably be stuffed for a while. 2-3 loans won't destroy anything right now, it can only help.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lofty_Love wrote:I would agree.. if we were still in the Premiership, but were not. If a few loans can help with putting in some performances for us to get us promoted I think that is more important right now, its not like they drain the club of money and we are still brining in young players on contracts to the club and building for the future. We need to get promoted within these next two years or we will probably be stuffed for a while. 2-3 loans won't destroy anything right now, it can only help.

do you not fear coming back up though, losing all the loan signings and not having (or refusing to spend) enough cash to keep us in the prem again?

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yes but I would rather that than us not be promoted.

And its not as though loan signings are usually key players in the team. We don't have much, if any money to spend now and we have a tiny squad so I would rather have an extra 3 loans added to the squad (as well as our signings) than no one.

Look considering our financial position, loans are integral. That doesn't mean we're not going to bring in players on a permanent basis too, a center back and defensive midfielder will be the priority.

But we need loan players to pad out the squad, it's either them or more cheap transfers like Pratley, Eagles etc. Given the position of the club we can only go out and spend money on players who are going to bring quality into the first team (or that's what we should be doing at least) obviously you need extra players for the squad. That's where the loan players come in more often than not, because of how good the top teams youth systems are, these players turn out to be excellent for us (Sturridge, Wilshere) and feature far more in the first team.

The club would be foolish not to exploit the loan players that are available, if we don't somebody else will. Look at players like Stephen Caulker at Swansea, on loan from Tottenham all season and was a rock at the back for them, doubt they'll get him permanently but they won't regret signing him. It's short term yes, but it's necessary.

As soon as a relegated team starts relying on loan signings the writing is on the wall if they don't get an immediate return to the Prem. Kean won't go down that route, he will make some top signings to boost his already quality squad.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bolton Hater wrote:As soon as a relegated team starts relying on loan signings the writing is on the wall if they don't get an immediate return to the Prem. Kean won't go down that route, he will make some top signings to boost his already quality squad.

So how are the Blackburn players doing? Oh yeah, forgot, they ALL want to leave whilst Steve Kean is in charge. Even the Venky's admit that the club is in a state of confusion, but do not wish you do anything. Looks like relegation fodder for next season if nothing is done soon!!! The joke is all on Venky's and Kean!!!Laughing Laughing Laughing

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I thought Kean was hanging around United trying to borrow some other Keans- a couple of brothers.

Perhaps they're all related.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum