Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we going down?

+14
scottjames30
doffcocker
Numpty 28723
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
wanderlust
terenceanne
Norpig
Copper Dragon
BoltonTillIDie
Chairmanda
karlypants
Bwfc1958
Boggersbelief
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Mon Oct 19 2015, 21:00

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

So if you don't think Le Fondre is a top striker and even he didn't struggle, it kind of defeats your own argument.

42Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 08:43

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Three things

1) Midfield is poor and doesn't score goals

2) We have an owner seemingly not interested in the club anymore and prepared to let it rot

3) Looking at the goals conceded last Saturday we have players who aren't prepared to fight for the jersey. Wheater could have stopped the first one against Burnley, and why did no one pick up that Burnley player who was allowed to run from the half way line to the edge of our goal area?

I'd say that is a team going down, I'm afraid.

The opposition know we only have one striker and our midfield isn't capable of scoring. 

Question then becomes do we keep with the manager, even if we go down or do people want to take the gamble at Christmas?

43Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 08:43

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

who's slagging off Le Fondre?  Very Happy

44Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 09:23

There are 35 games left, so it's too early to say with any conviction whether or not we will wind up in League One come May but the signs aren't good.

If you believe the rumours, ED's no longer capable of wiping his own arse, let alone overseeing the running of the club and his family have secured power of attorney, hence why the money's dried up.

Gartside's holed up in his bunker, frantically stuffing what's left of the family silver into burlap sacks and preparing for the End of Days.

The club's been up for sale at a knock down price for a while now but nobody's interested (still waiting for the big Allardyce Consortium announcement, by the way), so new money seems unlikely.

If you look at the calibre of players that make up the core of the team, they're simply not good enough and it should be no surprise that we find ourselves propping up the rest of the division.

I honestly take no pleasure from saying that I pointed out the fact that Madine is garbage and he only signed for us because nobody else would employ him before he'd kicked a ball in a Wanderers shirt but the stats don't lie and he is a truly awful striker - it's not a confidence issue with him, it's a talent (or more accurately a lack thereof) problem.

As for Lennon, I've stated all along that I remain to be convinced about his ability to manage at this level but given everything else that's happening at the club and the complete lack of investment, I think that Bill Shankly and Alex Ferguson would struggle to get results out of our lot.

So where does all that leave us?

In a right mess is the simple answer.

Will we go down? Very possibly.

Will someone swoop in and buy the club, thus freeing up much needed transfer funds? Unlikely.

The way it looks, we may well wind up playing in the third division in front of 6000 fans this time next year with a team that makes the one managed by Phil Neal which included the likes of Ray Deakin and Tony Caldwell look like Barcelona in comparison.

Grim.

45Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 09:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:I think we will go down if Lennon is in charge come February. He clearly doesn't know his best team and has resorted to Dougie-like chop and change tactics.

How have the tactics changed? I thought he has dogmatically stuck with the same system for the most part and needs to reconsider as he hasn't got the quality needed to play that way - which is very Dougie-like.

Or do you mean changing the players is a tactic? (as opposed to "squad rotation" or not risking those with knocks?)

Should have said "personnel" not "tactics". Mistakes happen.
OK. So you're saying that having a settled first team with guaranteed places for eleven players would make the difference, even if we stick with the same system?

Personally I think Lennon should change it more if players don't perform and that there should be real competition for places where any squad member regardless of age or experience can earn a place if they work hard enough and prove themselves. Never been a fan of non-competitive selection. I suggested Samazideh might be at least given a run out from the bench weeks ago and he's still scoring for fun and he's still being ignored despite our league position. Surely now it's time for Lennon to put aside some of his prejudices and think creatively? The midfield isn't doing enough for me so he might think about changing the system whilst he's at it.

And I'm not surprised that he "doesn't know his best team" seeing as consistently strong performances from any individual have been notable by their absence. Even the goalie cocked up last week.

46Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 11:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
OK. So you're saying that having a settled first team with guaranteed places for eleven players would make the difference, even if we stick with the same system?

Jay Spearing was our best player at home to Derby, then got sent off and didn't get back in the team until the weekend when again he was our best player until he got injured.

Silva has done nothing yet has started the majority of games since he joined. Dervite is an absolutely awful player but seems to be the first name on the teamsheet most weeks.

All I ask is that the few players who do perform are given a run. You know, like most sane managers would.

PM me if you don't understand what "playing well" means, I guess it all looks the same from your armchair.

47Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 11:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I really didn't think we would at the start of the season but we are so atrocious away from home and can't score for shit it is a possibility. Think we will avoid it by some way though in the end. (Goal difference.)

48Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 12:13

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Jay Spearing was our best player at home to Derby, then got sent off and didn't get back in the team until the weekend when again he was our best player until he got injured.

Silva has done nothing yet has started the majority of games since he joined. Dervite is an absolutely awful player but seems to be the first name on the teamsheet most weeks.

All I ask is that the few players who do perform are given a run. You know, like most sane managers would.

PM me if you don't understand what "playing well" means, I guess it all looks the same from your armchair.
So who are these players that are "playing well" and deserve to start every week?
You're very good at slagging them off so I'd love to know who you actually rate.

49Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 23:29

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's all so predictable. Manager gets driven out, new guy comes in, does great at first, then reality sets in and the booing and chanting starts all over again.

In all fairness, the last four managers have all been either too defensive or moronically attack-minded. Personally, I like that Lennon doesn't seem to be either extreme, and just seems to keep things simple. Tactically, I don't think there's much he could change to improve things. And I don't actually think this lot would suddenly find their feet under a new manager again.

If Clough gets/stays fit and we bring in two or three good loan players I think we'll be fine. Otherwise we're gonna be more than pushing it.

50Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 23:40

I like Lennon and don't want to see him sacked, but why is he not playing Prince? Why was Mavies on the bench Saturday? Why's Heskey starting over Clayton?

Has he fallen out with this players? I just don't see why they're not playing and can't understand what he's doing at the moment.

51Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Tue Oct 20 2015, 23:45

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bwfc1874 wrote:I like Lennon and don't want to see him sacked, but why is he not playing Prince? Why was Mavies on the bench Saturday? Why's Heskey starting over Clayton?

Has he fallen out with this players? I just don't see why they're not playing and can't understand what he's doing at the moment.
Good questions... and I want Lennon to stay.  Prince was a mainstay for weeks... so why? Heskey is not proving himself this season... and Clayton is the future.  But, we're still missing a reliable striker.  Madine has not shown anything this season, hustles, but does not score.  There is no additional money coming in unless we get new ownership.  So for the near future, we need to play the Claytons, Mavies and Princes.  Like you, I don't understand.

52Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Wed Oct 21 2015, 00:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'd like to think there's more to Prince not playing than Lennon not rating him highly enough as he's clearly our best defender.
Surely the reason he's not playing Clayton is to do with physio advice (good or bad).

53Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Wed Oct 21 2015, 08:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think the more likely scenario is that Lennon has fallen out with certain players.

Vela was one of our best players last season but can't get a kick, Spearing looks the only midfielder we've got who might win a fight with a 7 year old girl, and Prince was our best player until one poor game and now he's a bench warmer while the totally useless Dervite is the first name on the teamsheet.

Time for Lennon to go.

54Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Wed Oct 21 2015, 08:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the tide is turning against Lennon now, he doesn't help himself with some strange selections especially last night. The thing that bothers me most is that the players don't look remotely bothered by all this, they should have been going hell for leather last night to turn this around but they just look like they can't be arsed.
If we lose on Saturday then Lennon will be in the firing line for sure.

55Are we going down? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we going down? Wed Oct 21 2015, 10:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think the more likely scenario is that Lennon has fallen out with certain players.

I do get the impression that Lennon has a bit of a temper and a stubborn streak a mile wide - traits which some fans I know thought desirable when he was appointed after Dougie who came across in the media as soft.

I was hearing emotive phrases like "no-nonsense" and "won't take any crap from the prima donnas" being bandied about as if being an angry leprechaun in some way equated to having man-management and strategic skills.

Reminds me of Spearing. Looks like a bulldog, plays like a poodle these days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum