Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dobbie confident Wanderers can get out of the mire

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stephen Dobbie had a sinking feeling at Blackpool last season – but insists the outlook is much brighter at Wanderers.

Though the Scottish striker spent much of last year away from Bloomfield Road, playing down the coast at Fleetwood Town, he agreed the writing was on the wall for the relegation-bound Tangerines from an early stage.

Wanderers are four points better off than their Lancastrian neighbours but Dobbie, who arrived at Bolton on a free transfer this summer, insists there is much more reason for optimism.

“I don’t think we’ve reached that stage yet,” he told The Bolton News. “There are plenty of games left to go, so all the mathematics don’t really come into it.

“We feel we’ve got the quality to get out of trouble, and then some on top of that, but it doesn’t just happen for you, it takes hard work.

“I think the players feel they’ve got something to prove after Tuesday night; it was certainly a long way home from Ipswich.

“But the boys know we can get out of this. We need to get our heads down, try to get the win on Saturday, and then get over the international break.”

Dobbie has started just once for Wanderers in the league this season, his main contribution being a goal off the bench against Nottingham Forest.

The well-travelled 32-year-old has mainly been seen in cameos off the substitutes’ bench and is hankering for more game time – but accepts there is a bigger picture as the team strive for any sort of positive result against Bristol City tomorrow.

“I haven’t played as much as I’d have liked,” he admitted. “But I’m old enough now to bite my tongue and get on with it. However we win at the moment, that’s all that really matters.”

Though frustrations are starting to boil over among fans, with poor results merely magnifying financial and ownership issues off the field, Dobbie nevertheless expects a supportive atmosphere tomorrow, based on previous experiences.

Tuesday’s defeat at Portman Road was accompanied by a flood of criticism, ramping up the pressure on the Bristol City result considerably.

Dobbie says the players must handle the criticism like men.

“Of course, none of the players like reading things you’re doing wrong – who would?

“But I feel that the fans are still behind us. You see them at home games and even when they’re going long distances like Ipswich on Tuesday night – they want to see their team win. We need to make sure that happens.

“The fans have been patient, so it really comes down to the players now,” he said. “I’m sure there are a lot of frustrated people out there. There certainly is within the club. Nobody likes losing games.

“I don’t think the home form has been that bad it’s just getting the win, because there have been quite a few draws. We need to get one over the line and give ourselves something to be positive about.

“I think we were unlucky against Leeds United. Prince getting sent off killed the momentum a little bit.

“But you draw a line under all that now. It can’t help you. We need a win on Saturday and then push on.”

* Dobbie was speaking at Johnson Fold Primary School, where he and Dorian Dervite helped pupils from Year 6 in a project organised by the Bolton Wanderers Community Trust, entitled Wartime Wanderers.

Source

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

One after the other they all trot up and tell us " Wanderers can get out of the mire." Next week it'll be someone else just uttering platitudes they know they're never going to fulfill.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum