Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon: Bolton Wanderers boss questions his role

+7
scottjames30
doffcocker
JAH
luckyPeterpiper
Bolton Nuts
karlypants
Norpig
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sounds like he's ready to jack it in...

Manager Neil Lennon admits Bolton's miserable run of one win from 20 league games has left him questioning whether or not he is the right man to turn around their on-field fortunes.

Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Hull City saw Bolton slip five points from safety at the bottom of the Championship table.

The result came two days after the club received a winding-up petition.

When asked if he is still the right man to lead the club, Lennon said: "Maybe not. I don't know. I think I am."

Talking to BBC Radio Manchester, the former Celtic boss continued: "But it is a results-driven business at the end of the day, so one win in 20 is not great reading."

Lennon's Trotters have lost 10 of their 20 Championship matches this season and went out of the League Cup in the first round to League One side Burton Albion.

The Northern Irishman has described Tuesday's trip to Charlton, who sit one place and one point above the relegation spots, as a "six-pointer".

"We have to treat it as a cup tie. It is a game they are capable of winning," said Lennon, who replaced Dougie Freedman as boss in October 2014.

"We have to recover from this and we need find a recipe for creating chances, because we have plenty of the ball but are wasteful in the final third."

Bolton's struggles on the field have been compounded by off-field uncertainty.

Wanderers face administration and a 12-point deduction if money can not be raised or new owners do not come in to pay an unpaid tax bill of about £600,000.

There are understood to be four parties interested in taking over the club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Norpig on Sat Dec 12 2015, 22:26; edited 1 time in total

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

am i getting better KP?  Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:am i getting better KP?  Very Happy
:biggrin:

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

you've tidied it up again? I thought it looked ok  Razz

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:you've tidied it up again? I thought it looked ok  Razz
It must be the OCD mate. Laughing

Bolton Nuts

Admin

karlypants wrote:
Who wrote the article?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It was on BBC Sport. Personally I don't read too much into it because I think Neil's not the sort to just throw in the towel. If he was going to do that he'd have gone by now. I think the interviewer just caught him at a bad moment, he was bound to be feeling a bit down after today's performance and he's probably more than a little tired and stressed given what's been going on all season. I think he needs a good night's sleep and once he gets that he'll bounce back and dig in again. In essence I think he had a crap day at the office, the sort you cure by stopping off at the pub on the way home but the reporter got to Neil before he had reached the bar. He'll feel better tomorrow I'm sure. I'm not playing down the seriousness of the overall situation, I just don't think Neil is generally as down and self-doubting as this interview makes him look.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:
karlypants wrote:
Who wrote the article?
Me. Very Happy

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sack him now! It's not like we have any money to pay him compensation and he'd be just as stupid to try. Get rid now and let's start the turnaround process.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

And who do we bring in JAH? Who's going to be stupid enough to take on the job as things stand? I want Neil to stay, in fact if I was taking over I'd make my first order of business a meeting with him to ensure he knew that and that he'd be backed with funds in the next window in order to rebuild where it's most needed, on the field.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:And who do we bring in JAH? Who's going to be stupid enough to take on the job as things stand? I want Neil to stay, in fact if I was taking over I'd make my first order of business a meeting with him to ensure he knew that and that he'd be backed with funds in the next window in order to rebuild where it's most needed, on the field.
I agree with this.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

JAH wrote:Sack him now! It's not like we have any money to pay him compensation and he'd be just as stupid to try. Get rid now and let's start the turnaround process.
Oh, one other thing JAH. If we did sack him now he'd become a preferred creditor even above HMRC as his compo would be a footballing debt and they have to be paid in full if we wish to exit the now seemingly certain administration at a later date so that would only add to the problems we already have.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

What we need....sorry have to do is to start at the very bottom. We wouldn't get him but the character we need is Nicola Cortese. Look him up Pete. Cortese was instrumental in setting up the conveyor belt of players that Southampton now have in place.

What they did was set up the coaching staff to play in a certain way and that way was set with the kids. We're talking about school boys and every coach in every age group all the way up to the first team. Hence why you can put an under 18 left back at Southampton in the first team and that player will know his role exactly as the under 21 and the first team player knows his job role. It's simple teaching and is evident in the fact that teams keep buyer their left back, eg Luke Shaw and then Nathaniel and they immediately have a ready made replacement.

It's brilliant planning and organisation. Play in exactly the same way from the kids up to the first team and any player can play in the same position in any team because their job is the same.

The man I would persuade to become director of football would be Cortese. But you'll respond with no way he'd come to Bolton and you'd be right. But you don't need the man in order to copy the set up. It doesn't matter who is in charge of the first team if every coach in every age group is playing the same style, then you don't need a big name manager. You set the coaches up first in the younger age groups (these will be our future 1st team managers), you put a coach in charge of the first team and you really focus on putting the plan in place.

The reason I use Southampton as an example is they were down in division 2 and they put this plan together. They didn't have the academy we have so had to build a purpose built one in the new forest. Yes they had a rich benefactor but this process is the same that Barcelona uses to great effect.

The problem is the coaches in the uk are too dumb to see that this way works for sustainability in a competitive league such as the Premier, but it does work and works very effectively.

In answer to your question I would put Jimmy back in charge and poss hire Nobby and SKD under this remit. We need to start preparing for League 1 now and Neil Lennon is not and will not be capable of doing that. He'll be long gone by that time. Better to sack him now when we have no money to pay him compo than wait for us to be taken over.

From what I understand of what's been going on at Euxton is that the step up from U21 to first team is too big. That's because they play in different styles. Isn't that bonkers. Why would you play a different style for the U18 and U21's than the first team? But there are a lot of this questions about bwfc lately.

Christ, every club in the country would like a Cortese figure in charge. They don't grow on trees, they're not cheap and they can't apply the same principles to every club in the country. Southampton had a brilliant academy long before he showed up.

Last edited by bwfc1874 on Sun Dec 13 2015, 11:59; edited 1 time in total

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think we could go through fifty managers before certain fans realised our real problems are a lot deeper.

Just looking through some of the comments on Facebook about Lennon and how he "has to go", as though he's gone from being the best thing to happen to the club since Allardyce to a complete liability in the space of twelve months.

He's not doing anything differently now tactically to what he was doing this time last year when he completely rejuvenated the team. Why is it only now - other factors have taken their toll, and we're bottom of the league - that people start questioning every minor decision?

It makes you realise the whole football management thing is just farcical. New manager comes in and it's "everybody knows what their role in the team is now....they're all playing with a smile on their face....they're all playing with a bit of passion..." and twelve months later it's "there's just no effort...no commitment...no direction...tactically clueless, he's gotta go" yada yada yada.

I'd like to say we'll just keep going through all the same shit, same cycle, with the same fans repeating the same cliches for years and years but we're way past the point where we can be fussy about managers unless something big happens pronto.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He needs to go then if he doubts himself.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

scottjames30 wrote:He needs to go then if he doubts himself.
If he really doubts himself then I might agree with you Scott but my opinion (and it is just an opinion) is that the reporter caught him at a low moment. We've all had a bad day at work or in our lives where we don't know how we're going to cope and/or deal with things. As I said on my first post in this thread I think it's analogous to a man getting through a lousy day at the office, the sort you deal with by stopping off for a beer on the way home or by spending some time with a good mate who'll let you vent a bit of steam and pat you on the back. Neil was caught by the reporter before he could do any of that and it's little wonder he might have spoken unguardedly. The stress he's been under this last few months would take a toll on anyone. He probably needed to get home, have a wee dram or two and get a good night's sleep. I bet he's already bounced back from last night if he got that and he's ready to roll up his sleeves and dig in again because that's the kind of man he is. Hell, he got death threats and bullets in the post while he was at Celtic and if they weren't enough to faze him then I doubt this is.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:He needs to go then if he doubts himself.
If he really doubts himself then I might agree with you Scott but my opinion (and it is just an opinion) is that the reporter caught him at a low moment. We've all had a bad day at work or in our lives where we don't know how we're going to cope and/or deal with things. As I said on my first post in this thread I think it's analogous to a man getting through a lousy day at the office, the sort you deal with by stopping off for a beer on the way home or by spending some time with a good mate who'll let you vent a bit of steam and pat you on the back. Neil was caught by the reporter before he could do any of that and it's little wonder he might have spoken unguardedly. The stress he's been under this last few months would take a toll on anyone. He probably needed to get home, have a wee dram or two and get a good night's sleep. I bet he's already bounced back from last night if he got that and he's ready to roll up his sleeves and dig in again because that's the kind of man he is. Hell, he got death threats and bullets in the post while he was at Celtic and if they weren't enough to faze him then I doubt this is.
Quite right. He does actually say that he thinks he is the best man for the job.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I think we could go through fifty managers before certain fans realised our real problems are a lot deeper.

Just looking through some of the comments on Facebook about Lennon and how he "has to go", as though he's gone from being the best thing to happen to the club since Allardyce to a complete liability in the space of twelve months.

He's not doing anything differently now tactically to what he was doing this time last year when he completely rejuvenated the team. Why is it only now - other factors have taken their toll, and we're bottom of the league - that people start questioning every minor decision?

It makes you realise the whole football management thing is just farcical. New manager comes in and it's "everybody knows what their role in the team is now....they're all playing with a smile on their face....they're all playing with a bit of passion..." and twelve months later it's "there's just no effort...no commitment...no direction...tactically clueless, he's gotta go" yada yada yada.

I'd like to say we'll just keep going through all the same shit, same cycle, with the same fans repeating the same cliches for years and years but we're way past the point where we can be fussy about managers unless something big happens pronto.

:clap:

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon unsure whether he’s still the right man to lead Wanderers to Championship survival

As Wanderers’ crisis deepened at the weekend, Neil Lennon admitted he might not be the man to lead the club away from danger.

A 1-0 defeat at Hull City leaves the Whites five points adrift of safety going into a seemingly pivotal game at Charlton Athletic tomorrow night.

Lennon must do without striker Shola Ameobi, who limped off at the KC Stadium with a groin injury, and potentially Gary Madine, who was unavailable through illness.

Though Wanderers’ troubles off the field have taken precedence in recent weeks, the Northern Irishman has been unable to improve results on it, and was left questioning himself after the final whistle on Humberside.

Asked if he was the person to change Bolton’s fortunes, he said: “Maybe not, I don’t know. I think I am but it is a results driven business.

“One win in 20 is not good reading from my point of view.”

Lennon could not shed any positive light on the club’s financial position, with no tangible progress made in the takeover effort, and no guarantees still given to staff that they will receive their salaries in December.

“It’s as you were,” he told The Bolton News. “From what I gather we will not be paid this month.

“Trevor is endeavouring to find finances. It is tough but we are hoping there might be a resolution.

“We might be paid further on down the line. But with Christmas coming up it is not ideal but that is the harsh reality of where we find ourselves.

“People are relying on that sort of money, it is their livelihood. Christmas of all time is going to be tough but Trevor is confident that something can get done.”

Captain Darren Pratley is a doubt for tomorrow’s game at The Valley having been withdrawn at half time with concussion, caused when team-mate Neil Danns blasted a free-kick at the back of his head.

That incident summed up a quite dreadful afternoon, played in dreary conditions on the east coast in which Wanderers lacked any attacking threat.

“I thought the game was there for us but we lacked that oomph up front. But that has been the case for quite a while,” Lennon added. “Madine is ill and pulled out of training yesterday. Maybe we missed him.

“There is enough out there. I am satisfied rather than pleased with the performance but the result is still a negative."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum