Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ground Control to Major Tim.

+7
whatsgoingon
rammywhite
Reebok Trotter
gloswhite
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:10 am

As you're all probably aware by now (as it's been all over the news for days,) a new name will be added to the list of British people lucky enough to have travelled into space shortly.

In about a hour, Major Tim Peake will blast off from Baikonur in a Soyuz rocket and then spend the next 6 months doing science stuff on-board the ISS.

The jammy bastard - I'd give my right arm to do what he's doing.

Good luck, Tim.

2Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 am

What a hero, good luck to him. 

Good interactive article on the BBC the other day to coincide with it, worth a read -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-c1dffc35-fe53-492d-a4bf-752a22bd1ebc

3Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:08 am

Successful launch - Phew!

Just got to complete full separation and enter orbit now.

Fingers crossed.

4Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:22 am

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Great stuff to watch- but I wonder what it's meant to achieve. There's been blokes up there for years and it would be good know if they've actually achieved anything- apart from the fact that we can put stuff into orbit

5Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:30 am

Non-stick frying pans and improved techniques for performing heart surgery.

Which, if nothing else, has a nice symmetry to it.

Very Happy

6Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:31 am

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:Non-stick frying pans and improved techniques for conducting heart surgery.

Very Happy
You mean the rocket is made of Teflon and Christian Barnard is up there?

7Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 am

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Brilliant. Glad they blasted off safely. Just hope he makes it to the space station now. He's apparently doing experiments on himself to test the effects on the human body for prolonged amounts of time in space in preparation for sending people to Mars. Good luck to him.

8Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:10 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Non-stick frying pans and improved techniques for performing heart surgery.

Very Happy
I think they're also doing some research into head trauma. 
He's up there for 6 months,but,like bread,I'd give anything to be up there,if only for a day.
There would,of course,be the real danger of me having an accident,and ending up floating off into the galaxy,never to be heard from again.
Ground Control to Major Tim. Deco2

9Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:23 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Successful launch - Phew!

Just got to complete full separation and enter orbit now.

Fingers crossed.

10Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:40 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:As you're all probably aware by now (as it's been all over the news for days,) a new name will be added to the list of British people lucky enough to have travelled into space shortly.

In about a hour, Major Tim Peake will blast off from Baikonur in a Soyuz rocket and then spend the next 6 months doing science stuff on-board the ISS.

The jammy bastard - I'd give my right arm to do what he's doing.

Good luck, Tim.
I was listening to the radio in the car and following a bunch of colleagues piling on the accolades and telling us what a great guy Tim is, Adrian Chiles summarised the Brits in Space sojourn by mentioning Tim is now in a unique group including the other three Brit pilots and weirdly Dr John Wilkins who wrote about the possibility of space travel back in the 1660s.
Bit of a spurious link I thought, not just because Wilkins didn't actually go into space in the 1600s but also because he was far more famous for other stuff including, being married to Oliver Cromwell's sister, proposing decimal measurement i.e. the forerunner of the metric system, being Bishop of Exeter, co-founder of the Royal Society and author of a bunch of philosophical works.

That's like grouping Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona, Pele and Ugg the first caveman to blow air into a pig's bladder.

11Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:10 am

Big day tomorrow - Tim's coming home.

On a danger scale of one to ten, if getting up there was an eight, coming down again is a twelve.

The Russians don't ponce about with soft landings in water, they do it on land and I read somewhere that the actual touchdown bit is akin to being strapped inside a washing machine which has been rolled off a cliff.

Good luck to him.

12Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:49 am

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Apparently the launch, and landing, are the most dangerous. Not something I would like to do. Good luck to him.

13Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:04 am

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fingers crossed he makes a safe return to terra firma.

14Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:29 am

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:Fingers crossed he makes a safe return to terra firma.
Agreed- but the Russians will probably deport him as an English hooligan on their soil

15Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 am

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

rammywhite wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Fingers crossed he makes a safe return to terra firma.
Agreed- but the Russians will probably deport him as an English hooligan on their soil
I believe the Russian space ultras have been running amok across the galaxy while he's been up there 

Ground Control to Major Tim. 4262c010

16Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Welcome home Tim. Insert vaguely relevant Brucie reference here>
Ground Control to Major Tim. Eb2df489940452f4a5d126194d65cbd2

17Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 am

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Time to send that Cnut geldof up there on a one way only ticket.

18Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:25 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's down safely. 

Well done Tim.Ground Control to Major Tim. 0083

19Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

if anyone deserves a knighthood it's Tim, not all these entertainers like Brucie (sorry Boncey  Very Happy)

20Ground Control to Major Tim. Empty Re: Ground Control to Major Tim. Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:18 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No offence taken Mr Pig. I agree with you.

I'm sure there'd be quite a few on here offering to send Brucie into space though. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum