Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

another library in a run down area to be closed...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

places such as heaton, Lostock and Edgeworth are full of people with the ability to protest... hence why nothing ever happens in those areas...

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/local/9776970.Fury_as_old_library_put_up_for_sale/#commentsList

will be sold to the highest bidder...

mosque then?

also this comment off the site, I have to agree with it...

''When you hear the words "community centre" it usually means "madrassa"
or "islamic school with prayer room!" This sort of community centre is
not there to serve the whole community, only the part that's islamic!
''

mark my words...its boltons latest mosque!

people moan about these libraries closing down but how many people actually us them? i use my local library but am often the only one in there.

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

I have to say it's symptomatic of the wonderful outlook in Cameron's BS (that's Big society by the way, not what it should really be standing for). If anywhere in Bolton needed this facility it was that area. Unfortunately as we see the government and council cuts taking affect we will see more of this. The areas that can afford least to lose facilities such as this are also the ones with the least amount of people who can be bothered to vote, write to their MP or happen to have a councillor in their social circle. Can anyone see this happening in Lostock or Bromley Cross? Of course not.

Bolton Councillors will do the same as they have always done at times like this, blame the central government cuts, throw their hands up in mock despair and all the while only going in to the town hall to work three days a week because they're doing work for at least one other private company on the side and sticking to their thirty five working weeks a year policy.

I doubt their golf clubs or tennis clubs are in any immediate danger of closing down. Or that the kids of councillors are going to be missing out in this way. They can afford to buy all the books that their own children will ever need.

The consequences of deprived areas losing these projects and vital lifelines are wide ranging and nothing short of disastrous quite frankly. Kids in deprived areas left with time on their hands have only one route to follow and we see the consequences far too frequently with children left un-motivated, disenfranchised and disaffected to the point where criminality and just not giving a toss are the logical steps to come.

Short sighted, storing up problems for the future and getting everything Arris about face. That might just well be Bolton Council's new mission statement.

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

not-so-plain-jayne wrote:people moan about these libraries closing down but how many people actually us them? i use my local library but am often the only one in there.

Not quite the point I'm sorry to say. The first step is to actually have the facility there for use. Then you get people to manage it and make it fit for the needs of the community in which it is placed. I come from a dirt poor family and without my local library I'd never gone on to get the education that I did. I spent hours in there and loved every minute. It was a life line.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Marvelous new council facilities in Breightmet and Deane also Castle Hill but I think the library there has closed. But for children in Tonge Moor clamouring for books to read these can now be got from the UCan centre where there are also computers for use by the general public.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

TheHateCamel wrote:I have to say it's symptomatic of the wonderful outlook in Cameron's BS (that's Big society by the way, not what it should really be standing for). If anywhere in Bolton needed this facility it was that area. Unfortunately as we see the government and council cuts taking affect we will see more of this. The areas that can afford least to lose facilities such as this are also the ones with the least amount of people who can be bothered to vote, write to their MP or happen to have a councillor in their social circle. Can anyone see this happening in Lostock or Bromley Cross? Of course not.

Bolton Councillors will do the same as they have always done at times like this, blame the central government cuts, throw their hands up in mock despair and all the while only going in to the town hall to work three days a week because they're doing work for at least one other private company on the side and sticking to their thirty five working weeks a year policy.

I doubt their golf clubs or tennis clubs are in any immediate danger of closing down. Or that the kids of councillors are going to be missing out in this way. They can afford to buy all the books that their own children will ever need.

The consequences of deprived areas losing these projects and vital lifelines are wide ranging and nothing short of disastrous quite frankly. Kids in deprived areas left with time on their hands have only one route to follow and we see the consequences far too frequently with children left un-motivated, disenfranchised and disaffected to the point where criminality and just not giving a toss are the logical steps to come.

Short sighted, storing up problems for the future and getting everything Arris about face. That might just well be Bolton Council's new mission statement.

Such drivel.

Who owns the golf clubs?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TheHateCamel wrote:

Not quite the point I'm sorry to say. The first step is to actually have the facility there for use. Then you get people to manage it and make it fit for the needs of the community in which it is placed.

I don't agree. There's no point spending money on a library if no bugger is using it, the money can be better spent elsewhere.

How often do you actually use a library yourself - I use two libraries and both are well equipt and modern, they are already fit for the needs of the community. The simple fact is you can get virtually anything on the internet these days so people won't use libraries even if you spend millions on them.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:
TheHateCamel wrote:

Not quite the point I'm sorry to say. The first step is to actually have the facility there for use. Then you get people to manage it and make it fit for the needs of the community in which it is placed.

I don't agree. There's no point spending money on a library if no bugger is using it, the money can be better spent elsewhere.

How often do you actually use a library yourself - I use two libraries and both are well equipt and modern, they are already fit for the needs of the community. The simple fact is you can get virtually anything on the internet these days so people won't use libraries even if you spend millions on them.

agrees, as usual

Who is your picture? I recognise her, but can't get remember the name

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lyric Todkill wrote:

Who is your picture? I recognise her, but can't get remember the name

Jennifer Carpenter, actress who plays Debra Morgan in Dexter.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum