Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers players told to stay and fight or leave

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have issued an ultimatum to any players contracted beyond this summer – if you don't have the stomach to fight in League One next season then leave.

Ahead of taking on table-topping Middlesbrough tomorrow, interim manager Jimmy Phillips and his squad met with new chairman Ken Anderson this week.

And the message was clear. The Whites will look to move on anyone who doesn't want to be there, all they have to do is say the word.

“A number of players are out of contract and we had a meeting the other day with the chairman,” revealed Phillips, who will remain in charge at the Macron Stadium until a permanent successor to Neil Lennon is announced.

“He was certainly throwing it out to players that if they didn't feel their future was at Bolton Wanderers as a League One club next season, even though they're contracted to it, then obviously they must come forward.

"So it's up to the individual players what they want to do and I think things will certainly start to shape up between now and the end of the season.

“It appears that with our relegation to League One the new board are putting plans in place quickly, and that needs to happen because we all want this season to end as positively as it can be but also we need to start building for next season.”

The club will embark upon life in the third tier with a drastically-reduced playing budget, thought to be around the £6m mark, which will mean those out of contract are highly unlikely to be offered new deals, and certainly not with similar salaries being shelled out.

Wanderers' co-owner Ken Anderson has this week stated his aim to have a squad of around 23 or 24, bolstered by a handful of academy graduates stepping up to the first team. A key factor in achieving this within that budget will be getting the squad's high earners off the books.

And in his short time at the helm Phillips has seen cause for optimism in a few younger players, hopeful that their development can continue in the bottom half of league football.

“I think Rob Holding's done fantastically well and Zach Clough burst onto the scene with a great run of goalscoring in his games,” said Phillips. “Unfortunately we've had to play Zach slightly out of position due to the imbalance in the squad that we have.

“Also, Josh Vela's done well when he's been around the first team and Niall Maher's played a couple of games at right-back and he's been quite steady.

“So I think with a lot of these lads we'll see how we go in League One next season but there's certainly a good deal of athleticism in a lot of these players.”

Source

Another rehashed story from earlier on in the week - slow news day obviously.

And to be honest, I'm getting a bit pissed off with the toadying spunk-buckets at the BN recycling this bollocks without addressing the real issue.

Tough talking and tub-thumping empty rhetoric's great but it's not worth a carrot in the real world.

I'd rather hear what Sinister Bob Hope actually plans to do to address the issue of being lumbered with a prohibitive wage bill for next season, beyond basically issuing the players with empty threats (which is all we've heard so far).

If you threaten them but they tell you to get fucked because they've all got cast iron contracts, then what...?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i suspect the likes of Mavies will be happy to sit and collect his wages until the bitter end but you would hope that their inflated ego's wouldn't allow them to entertain league 1 football and they would ask for a move.
Can't see it happening but we can live in hope, they know they will never get a wage like they do now and will have to be prised out of the club kicking and screaming

I did read somewhere that the Chairman had a real go at them but not sure how true that is.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's obvious that the talk with the players re contracts was unproductive otherwise there would be some actual news. 
Seems to me that this week was critical and that the business plan is being redrafted right now to take into account next season's salary requirements - and therefore borrowing requirements - which I suspect they have grossly underestimated.

If they think the majority of the high earners are going to walk away from easy street they are living in cloud cuckoo land wherever that is.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum