Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

London

+9
gloswhite
Fabians Right Peg
finlaymcdanger
Sluffy
Norpig
Bwfc1958
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
BoltonTillIDie
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1London Empty London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:36

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm in London for the bank holiday weekend, just me and the Mrs. Never been to London before! What are your recommendations on where to go to?

2London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Natural History Museum is a must.

3London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:43

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Where to start? Loads of fascinating places to visit. I have been loads of times but I could never live there. Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Leicester Square, Oxford Street, Pettycoat Lane, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Regents Park. There really is something for everyone and if you like the theatre then head for the West End where there are plenty of quality productions to choose from.

4London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:49

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I had planned on the British Museum and London zoo, will now add the natural history museum to the list too. Fancied having a look at that big market too (forgot the name) il have a look at west end theatre and see what's on

5London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I had planned on the British Museum and London zoo, will now add the natural history museum to the list too.  Fancied having a look at that big market too (forgot the name) il have a look at west end theatre and see what's on

I would take a rain check on London Zoo. You will have to be guided by the weather beforehand.

6London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:59

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good shout RT, didn't think of that.

7London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:03

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Think RT has covered most of it there bar the London eye, Tower Bridge and Downing street. I've been quite a few times and it's a shocking place to drive around. Traffic's horrendous and you really need to have your wits about you because people cut you up all over the place. Taxi drivers think they are king of the road and don't really give a shit about you as long as they get to where they're going. Once you're on foot it's a great place to visit. 

Last time I went the mrs was at some do she was invited to at the houses of Parliament so we parked on an underground car park just over the road. From there you can cover a fair bit on foot. Houses of Parliament (obviously), London Eye and the Thames, Downing Street, Trafalgar square, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace were all close by. Oxford Street is like Manchester city centre on speed. 100 people on either side of the road waiting for the green man and when he lights up, everyone charges towards each other like it's the fucking  battle of Hastings. Oh, and make sure you pay the congestion charge if you're driving.

8London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:08

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I lived in Haringey for a brief spell n the early eighties and we used to get the underground into central London. Back then it was a really vibrant cosmopolitan place but that was a long time ago. Best to stick to the main tourist destinations and you will not go far wrong.

9London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:11

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Opted to get the train rather than drive. Got returns for about £80 for 2 of us, saves the stress and hassle of getting there and parking etc.

10London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

St Pauls is great, we went to Greenwich as well and saw the meridian line and went on a boat trip down the Thames to get there. Tower of London was good as well if you like your history

11London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:16

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Opted to get the train rather than drive.  Got returns for about £80 for 2 of us, saves the stress and hassle of getting there and parking etc.  
That sounds cheap BTID. I thought it cost more than that to go one way so an 80 quid return ticket is not bad at all.

12London Empty Re: London Thu Apr 28 2016, 23:55

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Booked about a month and half ago with virgin. It was amazing the differences in prices for the sake of a train 30 mins earlier/later. Also found booking as singles was much better

13London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 01:35

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It all depends really on what you like.

If it is the touristy stuff then most of it as been covered above.

I would suggest though that you take one of those open top bus tours of the sites, just to give you both a feel for the city.

The museums are free and massive, you could spend days in them if that is your thing but equally get bored with them if it not!  

The Natural History, Science and Victoria and Albert Museums are all close to each other (the first two are self explanatory with the V and A being a bit more 'quirky' and more 'arty' (for instance they are currently doing an exhibition on the history of underware!).

I suggest you check out the web sites of all the places you may wish to go to anyway - not only the museums.

The British Museum and the Imperial War Museums are a bit more out of the way to get to.

As 58 says above the House of Parliament/Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square (The National Gallery on Trafalgar Square - and free to get in) Downing Street (and The Cenotaph) and Buckingham Palace are all within reasonable walking distance of each other, with the London Eye, and the London aquarium just the other side of the Thames to Big Ben.

You may like to have a look around Harrods and/or have a walk down Oxford Street / Regent Street (they are cut across each other) for shopping.  I used to take my daughter to Westfields (Shepard's Bush on the Central Line) then when she had done the shops there caught the train back and got off at Marble Arch and walk down Oxford Street, turn right on to Regent Street doing Hamleys Toy Store and Abercrombie and Fitch (just off parallel on Saville Row), leading to Piccadilly Circus and the Ticket Booth at Leicester Square and walk through to end up at Covent Garden.

Some other random suggestions include - Madam Tussauds and the London Planetarium which are together, HMS Belfast, the London Dungeon and The Globe Theatre.

If you want to catch a West End show you may want to check out this place which sells half price show tickets on the morning of the shows BUT you need to get there early AND they may not have tickets for any particular big show you may specifically want to see.

http://www.tkts.co.uk/leicester-square/

Covent Garden is in walkable distance to Regent / Oxford Streets and have wonderful street theatre shows for free (you just put a couple of quid in the 'hat' at the end of them - well worth a visit imo.

St Pauls is on one side of the river to the Tate Modern and if you like that sort of thing is a good way to spend a few hours.

The Tower of London has the Beefeater Tours and you get to see the Crown Jewels. Tower Bridge is next door too.

Personally I would give London Zoo a miss (its not really that easy to get to and imo is now badly showing its age - its not cheap either!) I much prefer Whipsnade Zoo (which is part of the London Zoo set up) but you have to travel out of town to get there.

You could always visit Wembley and do the Tour there perhaps?

I suggest that you keep in mind that there are pickpockets targeting the tourists so take basic precautions particularly on the underground.

Whatever you end up doing have a wonderful time!

PS The big market you were thinking of - do you mean Camden perhaps?

14London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 04:16

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

London is the best place in the world but it has to be about your own experience of the place.

Make an effort to do the touristy stuff because it typically doesn't disappoint and I think Stuffy's advice above is Pheonominal.

Veerswami for a fancy curry is the best and The Crown and Sceptre (Great Titchfiled St.) and DeHems (Chinatown off Shaftesbury Ave. (Orangeboom!)) for beers were always my fave in W1.
The Dukes Head in Putney (please go there) was always my favorite pub. It's where they usually start the boat race (opposite Craven Park) and is a top quality proper pub. Always loved that place.
Make the most of it and don't just stay wherever your hotel is. London is my favorite place on earth.

15London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 06:36

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If your looking for some good places to eat not on the expensive side, try Browns near Covent Garden. Cheap night out is the comedy store at the back of Piccadilly, they used to do a 'who's line is it anyway' sort of night, think that used to be Thursday's and you could see the likes of Paul Merton etc.

Natural history museum is a must as Boncey said, out of all the touristy spots the Tower of London for the crown jewels and I quite liked HMS Belfast.

Speakers corner in hyde park is always good for a laugh. take a box and you can spout off about how bad a season we have had.

16London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 09:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

BTID, there is so much to see ! If you use Trafalgar Square as a starting point, you can go in any direction to find a well known landmark, and of course the Square itself has the Tate, Admiralty Arch, St Martin's in the Field, etc.
I'm assuming you will be travelling by underground most of the time, and would say that if you get it wrong, its bloody expensive. ! There seems to be 3 ways you can pay for the same trip, and a zonal pricing system that only the Londoners understand.

1 Buy a ticket from the machine (most expensive)
2 Buy an Oyster card, (which requires queuing up initially, and paying a deposit)
3 Paying directly with your bank card, (if it is the )))) type.)

I found that the bank card the easiest and cheapest to use. You place it on the Oyster reader, and it automatically takes your location and stores it. When you reach your destination, swipe to get out, and it calculates the cost, and debits you account accordingly.
Thought I would mention it as the cost can be twice as much if using a ticket, and queuing for tickets can be a pain, (usually caused by bloody tourists ! Very Happy )

17London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 09:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Transport Museum looks good!
Have a mooch around the ground floor of Harrods and get yourself a real branded plastic shopper from the gift section. Very Happy

18London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 09:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Museum of Brands,Packaging and Advertising,is a little gem. You'll find it on Lancaster Road in Notting Hill. Over £7 to get in but well worth it for the nostalgia.
Probably better for people with long memories though.

19London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 19:28

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
Have a mooch around the ground floor of Harrods and get yourself a real branded plastic shopper from the gift section. Very Happy

Great place, they even sell fake snow, I bought a ginger bread man last time I was in there.

20London Empty Re: London Fri Apr 29 2016, 23:14

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm late on this one- only just seen it. Give Westminster Abbey a miss -it's £20 a head to get in. That's £40 for a couple. That's outrageous when the National Gallery (which for me is the best thing in London) is free

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum