Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The London Olympics 2012

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The London Olympics 2012 Empty The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 12:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thought it might be good to get a topic on the Olympics.

Only 9 days away now!!

Extremely exciting IMO.

What are you looking forward too?

Naturally I'm looking forward to the Basketball. Hoping Luol Deng and our boys can do us proud!

Otherwise I'm obviously anticipating a terrific track and field programme.

2The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 12:54

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am hoping Dai Green, Jessica ennis and Mo Farah are among the medals. The mens 100m should be some event with Tyson Gay hanging onto Usain Bolt's coat-tails.

3The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 13:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm looking forward to the track events, and the football should be half decent. A lot of the Olympics is utter shite though.

4The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 15:37

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

The 100m with Bolt should be a good watch, even only for 9 seconds and the football.

Other than the running and football I can't say i'm really looking forward to anything else.

5The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 15:44

can't wait for them to start, i'm really into the cycling.

6The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:06

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Why should Football, Basketball and even Baseball be part of the games when they have their own "worldwide" premium events.

Plus what about the fringe "sports" such as BMX.........How the hell can you class BMXing as an Olympic event, anyway??? Surely darts should now be part of the tournament, or about AFL, NFL, 10-pin bowling, crown green bowling or even golf!!!!

7The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

well if you put it like that why should anything be in the Olympics.

It's a festival and celebration of all sport.

If you strip it back to it's origins and have a couple of throwing events and the running it'd be over in 24 hours... maybe thats what people would prefer?

8The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:27

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

For me, the Olympics is the premium events for anything to do with athletics (which includes weights, rowing, shooting and track-cycle events) and pool events - of course it needs some sort of bout action such as amateur boxing or wrestling. But also, for me, Olympics are there for the amateurs and not professionals who get paid millions for their sport (i.e. footballers)

9The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:30

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fair enough i can see the loss of romanticism that comes with the myriad of events but i happen to enjoy the "non stop" aspect of it.

10The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can never understand why genuine sports like Squash are not included. Likewise in the mixed martial arts category Tae Kwon Do and Judo are recognised but not Karate.

11The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Naturally I'm looking forward to the Basketball. Hoping Luol Deng and our boys can do us proud!

I presume the yanks will win the basketball, or are there nations to challenge them?

12The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:36

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They've got a tonne of injuries in the front court but they should still win.

only Spain have a realistic chance of posing them a threat.

13The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:47

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I presume the yanks will win the basketball, or are there nations to challenge them?

Cuba

Netherlands

Canada

in fact exact same countries that will "do battle" with USA for the baseball gold!!! (although my money is always on cuba to win baseball - its where it was invented!!)

14The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 18:07

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sadly none of them countries qualified.

15The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 18:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You need to brush up on your basketball Chris!

16The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 19:29

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hold up......... Qualify? Since when did a country have to qualify for those sports, not as if every country plays them!!!! Against goes against the ethos of the Olympics!

Just gets better and better!!!!

No wonder I feel that Olympics has lost its impact with me - no longer an amateur's premium event!

17The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 19:33

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You have to qualify for everything, in the individual events you have to qualify. Don't see much difference personally.

18The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 19:58

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree that "athletes" have to be of a certain standard, ie not just any joe bloggs but people from endorsed athletic clubs but qualifications is just simply wrong. As you said earlier Olympics is meant to be a celebration of "sport" (although I would say athletics more than sports) - but how can it be celebration when it ostricises a number of athletes!

As I say it is purely my opinion.

19The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Wed Jul 18 2012, 20:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It doesn't ostracize them they have a chance to qualify, and if their not up to spec they dont make it!

I want the olympics to be the pinacle of these sports, so i don't think it's a bad idea to get the best talent on show (if you can)

20The London Olympics 2012 Empty Re: The London Olympics 2012 Thu Jul 19 2012, 11:47

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why isn't my olympics thread a sticky yet?

If it isn't made one, i'll leave the site!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum