Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Britain's Golden Age of Boxing?

+3
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Mon May 30 2016, 21:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I know that there are a number of various Boxing governing bodies and thus a great many World Champions about but I can't remember a time before when we had so many world champions ourselves.

Tony Bellew joined the list last night and Ricky Burns the day before that.

I know that most people only follow a few famous names British boxers but we really do have a good smattering of very good boxers who most people have probably never heard of before.

Here's a list of our current champions

Heavyweight - Tyson Fury (WBA, WBO), Anthony Joshua (IBF)
Cruiserweight - Tony Bellew (WBC)
Super middleweight - James DeGale (IBF)
Middleweight - Billy Joe Saunders (WBO)
Super welterweight - Liam Smith (WBO)
Welterweight - Kell Brook (IBF)
Super lightweight - Ricky Burns (WBA)
Lightweight - Anthony Crolla (WBA), Terry Flanagan (WBO)
Featherweight - Lee Selby (IBF)
Super Bantamweight - Carl Frampton (WBA)
Bantamweight - Jamie McDonnell (WBA), Lee Haskins (IBF)

As far as I know Liam Smith is the next to box to defend his crown next weekend with Joshua fighting again at the end of next month with a tasty undercard that includes fights by George Groves and Chris Eubanks Jr.

A week or so later is the Fury v Klitschko rematch.

Some fantastic bouts to look ahead to.

Anybody remember a better time and who do you think will be our next champ?

2Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Mon May 30 2016, 21:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As I've said before, only the heavyweight division interests me and even then the current crop aren't much cop. 

None of them come close to the like of Ali, Tyson, Lewis, Vitali, Foreman or Holyfield. 

It's only a matter of time before David Haye is the champ again, He's the best of a bad bunch, Joshua hasn't fought anyone decent and he seemed to struggle against Dillon Whyte who is the only guy to throw punches at AJ.

Tyson Fury doesn't have the mindset or skill to remain champion for too long. Wlad will exact revenge

3Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 03:53

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I know that there are a number of various Boxing governing bodies and thus a great many World Champions about but I can't remember a time before when we had so many world champions ourselves.

Tony Bellew joined the list last night and Ricky Burns the day before that.

I know that most people only follow a few famous names British boxers but we really do have a good smattering of very good boxers who most people have probably never heard of before.

Here's a list of our current champions

Heavyweight - Tyson Fury (WBA, WBO), Anthony Joshua (IBF)
Cruiserweight - Tony Bellew (WBC)
Super middleweight - James DeGale (IBF)
Middleweight - Billy Joe Saunders (WBO)
Super welterweight - Liam Smith (WBO)
Welterweight - Kell Brook (IBF)
Super lightweight - Ricky Burns (WBA)
Lightweight - Anthony Crolla (WBA), Terry Flanagan (WBO)
Featherweight - Lee Selby (IBF)
Super Bantamweight - Carl Frampton (WBA)
Bantamweight - Jamie McDonnell (WBA), Lee Haskins (IBF)

As far as I know Liam Smith is the next to box to defend his crown next weekend with Joshua fighting again at the end of next month with a tasty undercard that includes fights by George Groves and Chris Eubanks Jr.

A week or so later is the Fury v Klitschko rematch.

Some fantastic bouts to look ahead to.

Anybody remember a better time and who do you think will be our next champ?

It's quite impressive, Holyfield was talking about it the other day, Britain is booming at the moment, that's why Briggs is over here.

GGG and Billy Joe Saunders would be a good fight.

4Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 12:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have the quantity but not necessarily the quality. Not specifically Britain's fault but I don't think the heavyweight division has been so weak for decades. Saw a big lad training in Havana when I was there last year so I watched for 10 minutes and he looked better than anything around the heavyweight scene for years but of course he wouldn't be allowed to fight except as an amateur. Looked a lot like a bulkier Stephenson TBF and it wouldn't surprise me if he was the great man's grandson. Now he was a fighter and it was a shame that the Ali fight never happened back in the golden age of boxing.

5Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 12:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Used to love watching that guy.

His punches sometimes produced a delayed action knockout,as here.

6Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:10

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tyson fury looks good, must've been training very hard, I think Klitschko could get hurt real bad this time, hope he comes out of it without brain damage.

7Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote: hope he comes out of it without brain damage.
At least we don't have to worry about Fury on that count.

8Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:14

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Badum tsh

9Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:20

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apparently, word on the street is Klit is shitting it, and has mentioned calling it off afew times, I don't think he'll go through with it if I'm honest.

10Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Apparently, word on the street is Klit is shitting it, and has mentioned calling it off afew times, I don't think he'll go through with it if I'm honest.
That would be a shame. It's not often you see boxing on the Comedy Channel.

11Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Tue May 31 2016, 19:45

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Apparently, word on the street is Klit is shitting it, and has mentioned calling it off afew times, I don't think he'll go through with it if I'm honest.
That would be a shame. It's not often you see boxing on the Comedy Channel.
bounce

12Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Wed Jun 01 2016, 10:05

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

My favourite era for British boxing was when we had Benn, Watson and Eubank at their peak at the same time. Benn vs McClellan was my favourite fight, just a tragedy how it ended.

13Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Empty Re: Britain's Golden Age of Boxing? Wed Jun 01 2016, 17:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Used to love watching that guy.

His punches sometimes produced a delayed action knockout,as here.

Big John Tate went on to win the World Heavyweight title before he was knocked out by Mike ' Hercules ' Weaver.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum