Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have we gone a little bit too far with Political Correctness?

+4
doffcocker
karlypants
whatsgoingon
Sluffy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Four things have happened in recent weeks that make me wonder if we are somehow missing the woods for the trees.

Ok some of these following three story's don't cover themselves in glory but then again are they really aren't the worst thing in the world either (not in my opinion anyway).

The first is when England rugby player 'sledged' a Welsh rugby player and called him - wait for it - a gypsy boy'.

Big fucking deal!

It was in the middle of a rugby match ffs - it was probably the mildest of everything said that day but it earned the player saying it a £20,000 fine!

Have we gone a little bit too far with Political Correctness? _89083716_joe_marler_epa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35967459

The second story is when the head of British cycling (one of our most successful coaches ever who helped us win a basket full of gold medals over the last several years) over allegations that he concentrated his efforts on winning at the Olympics rather than bothering with those (women whose performance had factually declined, and para cyclists) who those who would not or not in the Olympics proper.

He told a woman who had failed to make the Olympic standard that maybe she should start a family instead and instructed the cycling track to be cleared of a para cyclist so that potential Olympic gold medalists in a few months time could get in the training they were there for - he is reported to have said 'get that gimp off the track'.

Ok nothing to be proud of but have we got to the level of primary school where all children get a 'medal' for sports if they are crap or not - or do we concentrate on those with real potential and those who don't have it, having to step aside for the good of it?

Whatever the answer - it cost him his job!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36153485

My third example is of 'positive' discrimination!

The Royal Shakespeare Company deliberately cast people into historic roles despite of their ethnicity.

OK a good thing in many a way I suppose but factually wrong and completely distracting from the play - did you know we had a part Nigerian Queen of England - even before Nigeria had been discovered!

The woman in the play was a good actress, but her and several other deliberately miscast ethnic actors simply did not add to the play, rather they took away from the play imo because all I could think is why have we got a black queen but with a white son!

It was just far too jarring for me - just for the sake of being PC?

Have we gone a little bit too far with Political Correctness? 624

Finally poor old Gazza.

Paul Gascoigne seems to have made a crap joke that has been said a million times before -

The Express & Star reported that the complaint centred on a remark the ex-England international is said to have made about a black security guard who was in a darkened part of the stage, about whom Mr Gascoigne allegedly said he could not tell "if he was smiling or not".

Ok it was better he hadn't said it but surely an apology was all that was required - instead he's being prosecuted!

I doubt Gascoigne is racist - I would have thought we would have heard whispers about it long before now if he was - but is it just me that thinks prosecuting him for 'racially aggravated abuse' is taking it a bit far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36451693

Have we gone a little bit too far with Political Correctness? Gazza-paul-gascoigne-england_3205739

Is it me - are all the above the right thing to be doing or have we carried on this PC just a tad too far at times?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's got to the point in this country where what used to be called reverse racism is now just racism against the indigenous population in this country. As a white English man born and raised in this country I am fair game for any comment from anyone, but make any comment about any other gender, race or religion and I'm a bigot.
We are bending over that far backwards to placate everyone and try and avoid offending them that we're in danger of falling over and getting walked on.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:It's got to the point in this country where what used to be called reverse racism is now just racism against the indigenous population in this country. As a white English man born and raised in this country I am fair game for any comment from anyone, but make any comment about any other gender, race or religion and I'm a bigot.
We are bending over that far backwards to placate everyone and try and avoid offending them that we're in danger of falling over and getting walked on.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think it just teaches people that it's always OK to say "I'm offended by that" and to expect everybody to just apologise and feel sorry for them.

I'm all for stamping out racism but sometimes people just need to get grip and stop throwing a wobbler over every little comment that could be perceived as racist.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

doffcocker wrote:I think it just teaches people that it's always OK to say "I'm offended by that" and to expect everybody to just apologise and feel sorry for them.

I'm all for stamping out racism but sometimes people just need to get grip and stop throwing a wobbler over every little comment that could be perceived as racist.
I'm offended by that doffcocker you're just being racist,

whatsgoingon wrote:It's got to the point in this country where what used to be called reverse racism is now just racism against the indigenous population in this country. As a white English man born and raised in this country I am fair game for any comment from anyone, but make any comment about any other gender, race or religion and I'm a bigot.

I'd probably agree with Sluffys initial post, it's gone too far. Still I'd rather it had gone too far than not far enough.

Out of interest though, when have you (or Karly) been discriminated against on the basis of your race?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

There again, why do we assume every non-white, non-Christian person has been subjected to racism or discrimination ?

gloswhite wrote:There again, why do we assume every non-white, non-Christian person has been subjected to racism or discrimination ?

Not sure if that was addressed to me Glos, but if it is that's not my point.

I'm saying that if whatsgoingon feels like he's fair game for anyone to abuse, what's made him feel that way? White people dont come under attack in the media or are discriminated against in mainstream life so I assume whatsgoingon has suffered something in his personal life.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whatsgoingon can dish out the abuse, but pulls the white race card when it's thrown back at him.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

bwfc1874 wrote:
gloswhite wrote:There again, why do we assume every non-white, non-Christian person has been subjected to racism or discrimination ?

Not sure if that was addressed to me Glos, but if it is that's not my point.

I'm saying that if whatsgoingon feels like he's fair game for anyone to abuse, what's made him feel that way? White people dont come under attack in the media or are discriminated against in mainstream life so I assume whatsgoingon has suffered something in his personal life.
No mate, just a comment chucked into the mix.

By coincidence, there was a debate on Sunday's TV about how white working class young men are now receiving less support when lookling for work, than any other grouping. (just thought I'd chuck that one in as well)

Sounds interesting, support in what sense?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have we gone a little bit too far with Political Correctness? 8f42796e5f4508112c4b88f2d6765398

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

bwfc1874 wrote:Sounds interesting, support in what sense?
To be honest, it was bloody boring, but it would seem that there are a myriad of support schemes for almost every ethnic type, but not for white youngsters. What seemed to come out was that everyone thought that the white youngsters had all the opportunities due to their ethnic background, so nothing has been done to ensure their progression, with them lagging behind in the uptake of jobs, etc. I should point out that the majority of the audience/participants were not of the same ethnic background as the young white men.

Perhaps you can get it on the ITV hub.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Whatsgoingon can dish out the abuse, but pulls the white race card when it's thrown back at him.
lol! It's because I is white innit

No specific examples of pure racist comments, more a commentary on the fact that our rights are diminishing. No Asian or black business is forced to employ a quota of white people, I was made redundant but because I have worked all my life I was entitled to next to nothing, put your name on the housing list and see how long your waiting. The point I was making is its increasingly becoming weighted against British people who have worked and contributed all their lives. FFS we can't even celebrate our patron saints day because our national flag offends non whites.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WGO I trust you will be voting out this month like a good few of us on here? Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Yes, I'm sick of watching the country deteriorating around me. I have two teenage kids and I fear for what's going to be left for them.
I'm not racist but am against people trying to get to our country because we're a soft touch, people knock the French but you can't argue with the fact they know how to stick up for themselves, we just let everyone dry bum us and then come back for more.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum