Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers supporters' trust in safe hands as Bridge takes the reins

+5
BoltonTillIDie
boltonbonce
King Bill
Sluffy
Norpig
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

From its origins as a humble think tank tasked with generating ideas to save their club, to the current incarnation which will soon hold

its first elections, the Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust has come a long, long way in a short space of time.

In January, the trust was born out of necessity as the Whites’ financial future looked bleak. Events since have meant a steady evolution, but the BWFCST has become a prominent voice at the Macron Stadium and in its discussions with the club’s ownership over funding the academy, could soon strengthen its hand further still.

The handful of people who reignited the idea of a trust at the end of last year largely remain in place, ready to hand over power to a fully-elected body in the coming months.

But one man whose vast business experience was tapped into from the very start, Richard Hurst, has now stepped aside as interim chairman of the steering group.

Hurst, whose material engineering firm Richard Threlfall Ltd is among the oldest in Bolton, has now handed over to Ian Bridge, a lifelong fan and chartered engineer who was also one of the founder members.

Proud of the progress made by the trust – who lest we forget only opened their official bank account in February – Hurst believes it can now become even more influential in the years to come.

“I’m amazed at what has been achieved,” he told The Bolton News. “The speed at which we got pledges surprised everyone but the progress we have made has purely been down to the hard work and diligence shown by the talented individuals on the steering group.

“I have been thoroughly impressed with their breadth of knowledge and experience and I am convinced I am leaving the trust in very safe hands.

“I hope the trust can now push on. We have met with both Dean Holdsworth and Ken Anderson and both have taken the view that they would support us working alongside the club.

“Under certain conditions they would also be in favour of us having a representative on the board.

“The club and its staff have been very supportive, have offered us excellent support and facilities and I’d also like to thank the press – both written and radio – for the help they have given us in getting this off the ground.”

Hurst, now retired, has taken up a position as Bolton Golf Club’s captain and admits the role is using up much of his spare time.

“It is the reason I could only take the chairmanship with the trust on an interim basis,” he said. “There is a lot of work involved both in playing, organising and on the social side – but don’t get me wrong, it’s thoroughly enjoyable!

“I certainly think in the steering group we have people who are immensely capable of leading the trust forward towards the elections and into a very exciting future.”

Ian Bridge thanked Hurst on behalf of the steering group and the current membership, adding: “We would like to express our gratitude to Richard for his valued input in helping to establish the trust. His guidance and assistance has been invaluable and we wish him well in his role as BGC captain.”

Source

Here we go again.....

I honestly can't be arsed raking over all this pointless bollocks again, so I'm out.....

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I wanted to post this and sit back and watch the fireworks lol, there's a prize for the first person to see the mushroom cloud when Sluffy see's it  Very Happy Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

so boring old golf is more important than the ST?  Rolling Eyes

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hurst walked out on the rest of the muppets weeks ago at least!

This is what I posted on the thread about their letter dated 23rd MAY to the Football League -

Sluffy wrote:Anyway without going over old ground one thing I did notice was the startling revelation shown within that letter (thanks for posing it btw) that it was signed by Ian Bridge in his capacity as Founder and Interim Chair.

What happened then to Richard Hurst whose appointment in the position of Interim Chair was hailed as a major success by the ST at the time?

Have I missed something, has he quit - if so when?

Did anybody else know the such an honourable person in the ST had left or had stood down and why?

If so what happened with the ST's pledge of being transparent and keeping everyone updated and informed?

Can anyone honestly remember his last involvement with the ST?

Was he around during the legends game?  You would have thought the headman of the organisation that put on the game would have been the focal figure at the match and spearheading the drive for further ST membership, having his picture taken, being on the radio and TV before hand, etc, promoting both the game AND the ST!

It sounds to me the golf is just an excuse to bail out.

Everyone was aware he was the next golf captain at Bolton Golf Club when he was appointed interim chair of the ST - and from now until the ST's elections in three months the ST really shouldn't be doing all that much, so he could I strongly suspect have coasted through that time and simply handed over the chair of the ST to their first elected one (anybody going to bet against Ian Bridge being it anyway?).

I suspect Hurst couldn't control the ego's and agenda's of those he found on the ST and was marginalised right from the beginning - as evidence for that his performance at the public meeting he fronted was woeful - the one word answer of 'No' when asked was the ST trying to get a position on the board, and the rest of the panel having to take over and answer most of the questions thereafter including Bill Dawson's amazing revelation that Trevor Birch got the ST to seek Preferred Bidder Status whilst he was still working for the clubs then owner Eddie Davies!

No, Hurst hasn't just left the ST recently - the capacity that Bridge wrote in to the Football League some weeks ago proves that.

Why then did this honest, open and transparent body of men who condemns past and current owners of the club for being so secretive (a letter to the FL for Christ sake because Anderson won't tell them his financial affairs!) not practice what they themselves preach!?

Hypocrites.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't carry quite the same animosity towards the ST as you do but I think it is now completely marginalised and because of their actions, despite noises to the contrary the owners consider them an irritant rather than a partner.
My view is that Richard Hurst came in to rally support to the local business community to get the money together for a takeover with a senior role in the new club on the table but his interest disappeared at the same time the possibility of that happening did.
Moving forward I can see the trust just becoming another BWSA where they get together in meetings every now and then and pat each other on the back about what great supporters they are with a few token involvements from the club as a PR exercise, I hope I'm wrong because it has the potential to be a good thing.
If it wants to be seen as an important part of the club moving forward it needs to conduct itself in a way that shows it offers value as a partner, and it is clear to everyone that that isn't the case at the moment.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You mean conduct like this?

- a tweet from Steering Group member Daniel Izza just THREE days ago -

Can we believe anything coming from the club? Many promises about info but nothing happens. Time to show some backbone. #Bwfcst = the way

Is that a threat?

Someone tell me once again about how the ST is working hard to build up mutual trust with the new owners.

Yeah of course they are.

Rolling Eyes

I know I said I wasn't getting involved but.....

...remember all the furore about Hurst's appointment at the time when it came out that he was involved with the BWFC Free School?

It raised questions regarding whether or not his relationship with those running the club at the time would affect his impartiality, all of which were strenuously denied.

"He's a stooge, planted in there by Davies!" was the cry.

And this was before we found out that Birch was behind pushing the Truss into requesting preferred bidder status, don't forget.

And now that the dust's settled and ED's got what he wanted out of the process, Hurst suddenly decides that poncing about in a pair of plus fours all day is suddenly more appealing than being involved with the Truss.

Hmmm........

I know I'm a cynic but come on......it's fucking obvious what's gone on here.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

spell it out for the less intelligent (myself included) Breaders  Very Happy

Are you thinking the return of Uncle Eddie?

No, mate.

I'm suggesting that it was definitely in ED's interest to have someone he knew, trusted and could control heading up The Truss during the takeover process, to ensure that he got what he wanted.

At the time, Sports Shield were the only game in town, so ED needed to artificially create some competition to keep them on their toes and ensure that they acceded to his ludicrous demands.

And he couldn't really trust the idiots running The Truss at the time to get their collective act together and do it properly, so he brought his own man in.

And now the job's done, his man can discretely walk away and carry on with his life and enjoy playing a bit of golf with a shiny new set of Calloway clubs which mysteriously appeared on his doorstep, carrying a card saying: "Thanks for your efforts. ED"

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Blimey Breaders you should be writing thrillers  Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm not convinced about the Ed connection, but I absolutely believe that he was only interested when a takeover was on the cards and once that was gone he was basically never heard of again.
But the Ed angle I have to admit does carry some credence

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

whatsgoingon wrote:I wanted to post this and sit back and watch the fireworks lol, there's a prize for the first person to see the mushroom cloud when Sluffy see's it  Very Happy Very Happy

Please can I be in your gang ? (not)

P.S. How old are you lot ?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chill out boys. Let the music soothe you.
Supporters - Wanderers supporters' trust in safe hands as Bridge takes the reins 3256788

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:I wanted to post this and sit back and watch the fireworks lol, there's a prize for the first person to see the mushroom cloud when Sluffy see's it  Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for input King Bell

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:

End, if you please.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:

End, if you please.
Sorry thanks for your input Mr End

Yours faithfully
Mr Head

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:

End, if you please.

Yours faithfully
Mr Head

That's more like it, Dick, if i can call you that.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:

End, if you please.

Yours faithfully
Mr Head

Now how old are we  Very Happy

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
King Bill wrote:

End, if you please.

Yours faithfully
Mr Head

Now how old are we  Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum