Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do smaller clubs attract big backers?

+9
Joburg Wanderer
chipbutty
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
gloswhite
Keegan
Whatsupdoc
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Whatsupdoc

David Ngog
David Ngog

We have the likes of QPR, Reading, Watford, Forest, all being now owned by billionaires, what is it about clubs of our size being a more prized asset than BWFC, it seems to me that more and more money men want to buy football clubs, but never even consider our little humble club, why is that ? your thoughts please.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

It may have something to do with being owned by a fan who is owed millions by the club.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Although this is the right time to buy BWFC, (I believe the trading side of Middlebrook is doing ok), any purchaser has to stump up 100 million just to get in the door. I don't think all the other ones had to fork out that much to start with. And lets be honest, the buyer would have to look at not just the playinging staff, but also the managment team and infrastructure, which has proven itself over the last 5 years or so, as completely inept, which means a very ropey core to build on.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We're also "At capacity" I.E our fanbase isn't likely to grow, and our stadium is half empty every week.

the capacity for cash flow is almost zero.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

HN, does that mean that over the next few years, Bolton Wanderers supporters a likely to become extinct?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

haha yes, completely empty stadium.

but generally 9/10 kids born in and around the area will probably end up supporting utd, city, liverpool etc etc.

so our ability to amass a big fan base is limited.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bolton is just not perceived as a glamerous place to be..... that's all there is to it.

What billionare is going to want to bring his fancy women & friends to Bowton?

We had 50 to 60 thousand at Burnden Park back in the day with less population then there is now. Support could be built up somewhat IMO. Strangely though there are less chippy's than there used to be ....maybe that's got somat to do with it.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Bolton is just not perceived as a glamerous place to be..... that's all there is to it.

What billionare is going to want to bring his fancy women & friends to Bowton?

We had 50 to 60 thousand at Burnden Park back in the day with less population then there is now. Support could be built up somewhat IMO. Strangely though there are less chippy's than there used to be ....maybe that's got somat to do with it.

Burnden Park only had a capacity of 25,000 and yet our record attendance was 69,912 back in 1933. They must have been packed in like sardines when the majority of the Stadium was predominately terracing.

When we got promoted in 77/78 our biggest crowd was 32,000 against United.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Think that was the capacity with all seating RT.

I've certainly been in a 50,000 crowd at Burnden (League Cup semi v Everton in 1977).

Duncan McKenzie missed a penalty for them I seem to remember.

Happy days!

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I vaguely remember this penalty miss. Did he stop half-way through his run-up and start again, then miss it.

Joburg Wanderer

David Ngog
David Ngog

I also remember McKenzie blazing it over the bar at the Embankment end, then Bob Latchford scored a header. I went to first leg at Goodison as a 10 year old and sat next to window on coach, my first ever away game 1-1 Whatmore scored then coach got bricked on the way out!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Joburg Wanderer wrote:I also remember McKenzie blazing it over the bar at the Embankment end, then Bob Latchford scored a header. I went to first leg at Goodison as a 10 year old and sat next to window on coach, my first ever away game 1-1 Whatmore scored then coach got bricked on the way out!!!

Hello Joburg, nice to add another international poster to the site. Unless of course you're posting from a bedsit in Bolton town centre.

Joburg Wanderer

David Ngog
David Ngog

Thanks Natasha I am posting from my office in Johannesburg. Been here for 13 years now, only came for a 5 week job!!! I went to my first game in '73 against Hull City and we wone 5-1, was a season ticket holder at Burnden and Reebok till I came here in '99.

I am disappionted as i won't see us much next season as they only show the occassional Championship game here, I saw every Premier League game either live or recorded for the past at least 4 seasons. I will have to get myself internet on my iPad!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Joburg Wanderer wrote:Thanks Natasha I am posting from my office in Johannesburg. Been here for 13 years now, only came for a 5 week job!!! I went to my first game in '73 against Hull City and we wone 5-1, was a season ticket holder at Burnden and Reebok till I came here in '99.

I am disappionted as i won't see us much next season as they only show the occassional Championship game here, I saw every Premier League game either live or recorded for the past at least 4 seasons. I will have to get myself internet on my iPad!!!

I went to Joburg in 2003 and loved it. If it was closer I'd go more often.

I hope you stick around on here.

Joburg Wanderer

David Ngog
David Ngog

I will stick around. Hopefully we should have a successful season and bounce back.

Joburg has a bad reputation, but i have seen very little trouble, you just know which areas to avoid!!! Where abouts did you stay when you were here, I live near Sandton. I thoroughly enjoy living here ( I have a wife, 2 kids and 3 dogs here so can't leave!!!). I last came home Christmas 2009, so am due a visit this year, can't wait for a pint in the Brinsop with my old mates, and a chippy dinner and a doner kebab, it's strange what you miss!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Small world, my friend lives in Randburg which isn't far from Sandton. I stayed with her for two weeks.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Been to Joburg many times before Nelson took over. Used to go ice skating in the Carlton centre.

Joburg Wanderer

David Ngog
David Ngog

I may be moving to Randburg next year.

I have been to the Carlton Centre to the top floor, great views. Actually the CBD is really being cleaned up now. On the outskirts in Braamfontein it's a great night out.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Joburg Wanderer wrote:I may be moving to Randburg next year.

Cool, when I tire of my friend's company next time I visit her I can stay at your place.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hello and welcome Joburg.

Really pleased my memory of the game prompted you to post.

I do hope you like it here with us and decide to stick around a while.

@Chipbutty my memory is not what it once was but I think he did - what stuck it my mind about it though was how bad a penalty miss it was - probably the worst I've ever seen!

I do unfortunately remember Ronny Godlass going down our right side and putting in a peach of cross for Latchford to nod in.

Now if only I could remember as clearly what I did yesterday as well as a football game I went to 35 years ago!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum