Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Economy watch

+19
Copper Dragon
Bwfc1958
Bread2.0
bwfc71
karlypants
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
Chairmanda
xmiles
Sluffy
Bollotom2014
boltonbonce
whatsgoingon
Natasha Whittam
okocha
scottjames30
NickFazer
gloswhite
wanderlust
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 22]

321Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Sep 07 2016, 17:06

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Bread2.0 wrote:I'll probably still get a boat one day, Scott and you're welcome to come out to Spain and throw things at me as I glide past if you like.
Economy watch - Page 17 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQi4oEwFMyZkq_vALfpH7btQHV0PhI7iqkRDw0sjFE2rILyQW8JQ

322Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Sep 07 2016, 17:08

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:I'll probably still get a boat one day, Scott and you're welcome to come out to Spain and throw things at me as I glide past if you like.

What kind of person do you think I am?

Wave when you're going past, so I know it's you.

323Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Sep 08 2016, 08:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mark Carney, Brexit and the Treasury Select Committee: The Governor's response.

324Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Sep 08 2016, 08:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Debate re ceiling for the National Living Wage:

"After the Brexit vote in June the government was lobbied by 16 trade associations who called on ministers to be cautious about future increases in the national living wage.

Low-paid workers are due to get above-average pay rises over the next four years as the policy approaches its target of paying 60% of average hourly pay."

The Government's plan is to increase the national living wage to around £8.70 per hour by 2020. Hopefully they will stick to their guns.

325Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Sep 08 2016, 13:46

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Where are the gloom and doom merchants now?

326Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Sep 08 2016, 14:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Where are the gloom and doom merchants now?
Nigel's still on holiday and Boris is still being ridiculed in every country he visits.

327Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Sep 08 2016, 14:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is anyone watching that TV series about casual working in the UK? You might be interested to know that in the quarter to June, people working on zero hours contracts rose to 903,000 - an increase of 21% on last year and the highest it's been in modern times.

Casts some light on the recent unemployment figures.
Article here.

328Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Sep 09 2016, 23:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

329Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Sep 10 2016, 06:45

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Somebody is already knocking at the door trying to sell us booze, we can get our booze a lot cheaper apparently, let's roll !!

330Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Oct 06 2016, 09:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Filled the campervan with diesel in Santander on Tuesday and it was 94.5 cents a litre in a Carrefour..
A week earlier in Porto which is relatively poor, some garages were charging 1.26 euros a litre. Both the Portuguese and Spanish buy oil in dollars as we do so for me it underlines the point that the stronger the economy, the cheaper imported goods can be retailed at and vice versa.

Stelios not happy with the weak pound's impact on fuel costs.

Last edited by wanderlust on Thu Oct 06 2016, 10:09; edited 1 time in total

331Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Oct 06 2016, 10:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Somebody is already knocking at the door trying to sell us booze, we can get our booze a lot cheaper apparently, let's roll !!
Campaigners against low booze prices in this article.

332Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Oct 06 2016, 10:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Theresa May and Hammond's return to fiscal policy at the expense of Osborne's monetary policy will have a big impact on many of us if they take us down that road.
Basically instead of quantitive easing designed to keep interest rates low, the economy will be based on tax increases and controlled spending.

This is basically what Labour are proposing and what both Trump and Clinton are selling in the States.

Interesting Newsnight article about it here.

333Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 17:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looks like the "don't panic" messages have started.

Hammond finally seems to have cottoned on to the idea that the markets are twitchy and that they decide - not us - what the UK is worth. 
Maybe now, he and May will stop telling the world what the outcome of the Brexit negotiations will be? No wonder the markets have lost confidence in UK PLC when the so-called leaders give away their entire negotiation strategy before the talks have even begun.
Meanwhile we have the pound at a 31 year low against the dollar and still heading south along with the Euro rate. I'm not panicking yet but I just wish they'd stop making schoolboy errors in an effort to secure their own popularity amongst and provide some reassurances to the Brexiteers.

334Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 18:50

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
Meanwhile we have the pound at a 31 year low against the dollar and still heading south along with the Euro rate.

I wonder what folk were whining about in 2001 when the pound was down to 1.38 against the dollar?

The pound has been gradually declining against the Euro for the past 16 years.

All Brexit's fault.

335Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 19:22

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Let them eat Carbs

336Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:20

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

UK Manufacturing output has risen to a quarterly high this year since Brexit
The International Monetary Fund has raised UK growth for this year
FTSE 100 near a record high
FTSE 250 near a record high
FTSE 500 considerably higher than before Brexit
Record car sales in UK for September
UK to be fastest growing G7 economy this year

Of course not everything is a bed of roses (when is it ever?) and there will be pitfalls and challenges to come, but will the whining Remainers who have a degree in Economics from the University of 'I'm Taking My Ball Home' admit that we haven't moved the country to the Sudanese desert, there isn't apocalypse and all is not lost?

337Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:UK Manufacturing output has risen to a quarterly high this year since Brexit

Of course not everything is a bed of roses (when is it ever?) and there will be pitfalls and challenges to come, but will the whining Remainers who have a degree in Economics from the University of 'I'm Taking My Ball Home' admit that we haven't moved the country to the Sudanese desert, there isn't apocalypse and all is not lost?

Show some bloody respect, Breadman's had to knock his boat dream on the head.

338Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:30

Copper Dragon wrote:UK Manufacturing output has risen to a quarterly high this year since Brexit

Absolutely fair, the Tories scare tactics didn't work (clearly) and the economy has done better since the referendum than the majority of experts predicted.

Got to remember though – so far nothing has happened. We haven't left the EU, we haven't agreed any trade deals and companies still don't know where they stand.

Brexit can't be written off as a disaster yet, but it shouldn't be heralded as a success either.

339Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:38

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:

Got to remember though – so far nothing has happened. We haven't left the EU, we haven't agreed any trade deals and companies still don't know where they stand.

Brexit can't be written off as a disaster yet, but it shouldn't be heralded as a success either.

Of course, hence the......... 'Of course not everything is a bed of roses (when is it ever?) and there will be pitfalls and challenges to come'

We can make it work though, if everyone wants to make it work.

340Economy watch - Page 17 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:56

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Just out of interest, when it comes to negotiating these new trade deals post-Brexit, what cards do people thing we're holding which will put is in a strong bargaining position?

The City of London is a global centre for financial trading, I get that but what else have we got?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum