Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers face anxious wait on Spearing fitness for Scunthorpe clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are keeping their fingers crossed that skipper Jay Spearing can shake-off a groin injury in time to feature in tomorrow’s top-of-the-table clash with Scunthorpe United.

The influential midfielder picked up a strain late in the 2-1 win over Shrewsbury Town on Boxing Day and has scaled down his training as a precautionary measure since the start of the week.

Derik Osede would be the most likely replacement if Spearing is not passed fit – but Darren Pratley could also come into contention for his first involvement since fracturing his ankle on the opening day of the season.

Phil Parkinson has designs on returning to the automatic promotion places, which would be achieved with victory against Graham Alexander’s high-flyers.

The Whites could go top if Sheffield United also fail to beat Northampton Town.

“It isn’t going to define our season but there’s no doubting how important the game is for both sides when you look at the table,” Parkinson told The Bolton News. “It was vitally important we set ourselves up for this with three points against Shrewsbury, so now this is the kind of match that any player should relish playing in. I’d imagine it’s the kind of match that any Bolton fan would want to watch too. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Parkinson is looking for improvement from his side despite earning a stadium record ninth consecutive home win last time out.

“Despite what we said at half time against Shrewsbury I think there was a sense that the job had been done,” he said. “That, combined with their tactical change meant we were hanging on a bit more than I would have liked.

“It’s something I think we need to learn from because it had happened in the Coventry game too. Mind, I’d like to be in the position where we’re 2-0 up at half time on Saturday.”

Meanwhile, Wanderers have confirmed that 315 half-season tickets were sold before the Boxing Day game against Shrewsbury, bringing the total number of season ticket holders at the Macron to 10,250, up 100 on last year’s total.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum