Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lovely grub

+8
gloswhite
Bread2.0
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
Norpig
Bollotom2014
Sluffy
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

think you're thinking of somewhere else Lusty, the Crofters was at the top of St Georges Road, do you mean the Howcroft?

22Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 15:11

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Norpig wrote:think you're thinking of somewhere else Lusty, the Crofters was at the top of St Georges Road, do you mean the Howcroft?
I think you're right there Norpig. A lot of people around there also used to call the Howcroft the crofters.

23Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 15:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I can't understand why they might as the Crofters (at the junction of Chorley New and Old Roads) and the Howcroft - the one with the bowling green and beer festivals (at the rear of Vernon Street / Top Way) were two separate pubs in quite close walking distance of each other?

The Royal at the bottom of Vernon Street was/is sort of situated between the two of them.

24Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 15:27

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The Crofters and The Howcroft were always two very distinct pubs as I recall my time drinking down there.

But it did tend to get confusing when someone suggested we meet in "The Crofters" before the match and half went to the one on Chorley Old / New Rd and the other half went to the one on Halliwell Rd.

Especially as it was before the advent of mobile phones.....

25Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 15:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can remember as a kid my Dad leaving me and my Brother in the car one evening while he went for a drink or two in the Royal Hotel, times were a lot different back in the 70's  Very Happy

26Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Thu Feb 23 2017, 15:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I can remember as a kid my Dad leaving me and my Brother in the car one evening while he went for a drink or two in the Royal Hotel, times were a lot different back in the 70's  Very Happy
At least your Dad had a car. Our Dad used to leave us standing outside,with a bottle of pop,and two straws.

27Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Fri Feb 24 2017, 09:33

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:My mates dad used tomanage the Gibraltar Rock (?) on Deane road, and then moved to the pub that is on the junctionof the Chorley Old and New road, (buggered if I can remember the name).
Crofters.
Bit late, soz.

28Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 01:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think you're all right. Whenever I was in that area I was off my tits and I definitely strolled into both pubs frequently without caring about the name. Definitely the Howcroft I was thinking of which was later and lamer.

29Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 11:56

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

When  I was living in that area in my late teens we used to go in The Cotton Tree Down Prince Street, then to The Rock which was just off School Hill which was later called The Globe I think, then onto the Royal on Vernon Street, into The Howcroft and then into the one on Chorley Street which I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It would then be onto the Vic and the Kings Arms up Chorley Old Road.

30Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 12:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bwfc1958 wrote:When  I was living in that area in my late teens we used to go in The Cotton Tree Down Prince Street, then to The Rock which was just off School Hill which was later called The Globe I think, then onto the Royal on Vernon Street, into The Howcroft and then into the one on Chorley Street which I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It would then be onto the Vic and the Kings Arms up Chorley Old Road.

Farmers Arms.

I've supped in all of those and one or two that you may have forgotten about or had shut before your time.

Opposite the Rock (as I knew it - it later changed its name to the New Globe, when the original one on Higher Bridge Street shut) was the 'Old Vets' club, which used to have 'turns' on at the weekends.

On Vernon Street just higher up than the Royal was the Poplar (my brothers 'regular' many years back).

Walking up Chorley Old Road on the opposite side to the Crofters was/is The Nelson, then cross over the road again to the Sally up Steps (Stanley Arms).

The Kings Arms was my parents 'regular' as they had been good friends of the landlord and wife Peter and Flo Pollet and 'moved' with them to the Hope and Anchor when they took over there.

Long time ago now though.

31Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 13:02

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Farmers Arms that's right. Cheers Sluffy, it's been bugging me that!

32Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 13:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it was nice little pub the Farmers, nearly all the pubs around there have gone now, only the Vic left now and the Nelson (i think?) but in all my years drinking on Chorley Old Road i never ever went in there

33Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 16:36

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Do you remember " Sally Upsteps" just below Musgraves Mill?

34Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 16:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cajunboy wrote:Do you remember " Sally Upsteps" just below Musgraves Mill?

I mentioned it briefly in post 30 on this thread, Cajun.

35Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we went in Sallys a lot, it was a decent pub and didn't seem as rough or have a reputation like the Vic

36Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 19:53

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I used to go in Mortified Bowling Club when I lived up there. I'd visited the bowling green with a casey long before the bar though, it was like stepping out on Wembley!

37Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 08:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i went in there a few times as well SK, just for a drink though, no bowls  Very Happy

38Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:25

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

All I've ever Known Sally Upsteps to be is a chippy! What year did it close?

39Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:49

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The chippy's next door (Nortex Mill side).

The pub's a Thai restaurant now, isn't it?

40Lovely grub - Page 2 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 10:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes the chippy was next door and it is a thai place still i think, the pub closed a long long time ago probably back in the 90's sometime?

There was another pub along there that we went in called Funnys, anyone remember that one? It was the scene of the best bar fight i ever witnessed  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum