Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views.

+35
karlypants
Norpig
Sluffy
Whitesince63
Hip Priest
Ten Bobsworth
Banks of the Croal
sunlight
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Bolton Nuts
Nigelbwfc
wessy
RustyNail
rammywhite
Cajunboy
Angry Dad
Boggersbelief
observer
Copper Dragon
Leeds_Trotter
MartinBWFC
gloswhite
DEANO82
Growler
okocha
Bread2.0
Chairmanda
Bollotom2014
Reebok Trotter
Kane57
Fabians Right Peg
terenceanne
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 30 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 50]

181OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 13:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy has it in for Coyle, no idea why.

But as an armchair supporter sluffy looks at statistics, whereas those of us that go to the games are looking to be entertained.

Coyle was far from a genius, but for me personally he played an exciting brand of football and there was a period of a few months when Stuart Holden was on top form that we looked like a top 6 Premier League club. Losing Holden to injury was what killed Coyle, if he'd stayed fit I think things would have been very different.

He had no answer to losing runs, but for me he was just an average manager with brief periods of excellence.

182OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:Sluffy has it in for Coyle, no idea why.

But as an armchair supporter sluffy looks at statistics, whereas those of us that go to the games are looking to be entertained.

Coyle was far from a genius, but for me personally he played an exciting brand of football and there was a period of a few months when Stuart Holden was on top form that we looked like a top 6 Premier League club. Losing Holden to injury was what killed Coyle, if he'd stayed fit I think things would have been very different.

He had no answer to losing runs, but for me he was just an average manager with brief periods of excellence.

Pity he didn't buy a much needed midfield replacement for him in our last January transfer window then, when we ALL could see one was needed instead of blowing the entire transfer budget (and consequently our future since) on striker Marvellous Marvin Sordell who Coyle picked for just TWO substitute appearances for the rest of that season which of course ended in relegation for us.

Fair play to those who go for the entertainment but as Bruce Rioch once reportedly said - if you want entertainment then go to the Palladium!

183OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:09

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:
Growler wrote:Was Coyle a worse Wigan manager than Bruce Rioch?. Whelan gave him silly money to spend by Div 3 standards and sacked him when he lost in the play offs

Also I think your memory must be playing tricks on you.

The facts show that Bruce only signed ONE player for a transfer fee in the season he managed Wigan - and even then it was only in the January window for half a year under him -

http://www.transfermarkt.com/wigan-athletic/transfers/verein/1071/plus/0?saison_id=2000&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Stefan Bidstrup -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Bidstrup

625K in Euros on a midfielder in the 3rd Div was huge money 17 years ago .Similar to the biggest fee Rioch was allowed to spend at Bolton on much bigger crowds
This was after Whelan spent over a million in Euros the season before and 775k the season before.Its understandable why Whelan wanted instant success in that division with that expenditure

But you are right, my memory was playing tricks on me.Rioch was sacked in February when Wigan were out of the automatic promotion spots rather than after losing in the play offs which they did after finsihing in the bottom play off spot under Rioch's replacement Steve Bruce

184OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:15

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:

Pity he didn't buy a much needed midfield replacement for him in our last January transfer window then, when we ALL could see one was needed instead of blowing the entire transfer budget (and consequently our future since) on striker Marvellous Marvin Sordell who Coyle picked for just TWO substitute appearances for the rest of that season which of course ended in relegation for us.

Fair play to those who go for the entertainment but as Bruce Rioch once reportedly said - if you want entertainment then go to the Palladium!
I am confident that statement was made by Ian Greaves after we lost 1-0 at Arsenal in 78/79 rather than Bruce Rioch.Rioch mostly sent out entertaining, attacking sides that were leaky at the back on their travels.
I think Greavsie also made similar comments after a 0-0 at Anfield the following season

185OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:28

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

This is bang on. We were 6th in the table going to Old Trafford in March when Stuart Holden got his career ending injury.We were about quarter of an hour from getting a 0-0 draw at OT when it happened.The rest of the team couldn't hold out the short period left, we lost 1-0.
Our midfield was a one man effort with the vastly over rated Muamba and Mark Davies simply making up the numbers.
To blame Coyle for not replacing Holden with the Cahill money the following Jnauary is very harsh.There was the small matter of trying to replace Cahill, Holden and buy a striker with £7 million.
If Holden hadn't got injured we would probably have finished 6th - 8th and reached the FA Cup final.It would have been as good a season as anything under Sam

186OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:36

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I am confident that statement was made by Ian Greaves after we lost 1-0 at Arsenal in 78/79 rather than Bruce Rioch.Rioch mostly sent out entertaining, attacking sides that were leaky at the back on their travels.
I think Greavsie also made similar comments after a 0-0 at Anfield the following season

I think it is my turn to accept that it probably is my mind playing tricks on me this time and that it was Greaves rather than Rioch who told us where to go if we wanted to find entertainment.

One saying I do remember from Mr Greaves was what he saw following his sacking - which was a funeral hearse driving past him - which made him think that others were having a worse day than him - and put in context that losing a job was nothing compared to losing a loved one.

Always stuck in my mind ever since and as helped me to rationalise things at the times when things sometimes take a wrong turn for me.

187OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Fair play to those who go for the entertainment but as Bruce Rioch once reportedly said - if you want entertainment then go to the Palladium!

Easy for an armchair to say. If you go to the games you want to win first of all, but if you do it playing good football then it's even better. Coyle brought us a few of those days - no Bolton manager since has come close.

188OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:47

Agree with this, that period under Coyle when Elmander was on fire with Holden looking the absolute business was amongst the best in our Premier League stint. That goal Mark Davies finished against Blackpool was one of my favourite I've seen live.

189OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 14:50

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:

This is bang on. We were 6th in the table going to Old Trafford in March when Stuart Holden got his career ending injury.We were about quarter of an hour from getting a 0-0 draw at OT when it happened.The rest of the team couldn't hold out the short period left, we lost 1-0.
Our midfield was a one man effort with the vastly over rated Muamba and Mark Davies simply making up the numbers.
To blame Coyle for not replacing Holden with the Cahill money the following Jnauary is very harsh.There was the small matter of trying to replace Cahill, Holden and buy a striker with £7 million.
If Holden hadn't got injured we would probably have finished 6th - 8th and reached the FA Cup final.It would have been as good a season as anything under Sam
I was at OT that day when that dirty bastard Evans ruined Holden's career  Mad

190OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 15:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People forget we played some sparkling stuff under Big Sam. I particularly enjoyed this game.

191OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 15:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:

Now I think you are getting confused.

Holden was crocked by Evans in March 2011 and was never the same player again.  In fact he never again played another Premier League game for us although he did play a couple of reserve team games and a League Cup one the following season.

He also made a handful of games in the Championship (after Coyle had been sacked).

http://www.transfermarkt.com/stuart-holden/leistungsdaten/spieler/30071/plus/0?saison=2012

So Coyle had nine months to realise how huge Holden's loss was to the team and not to replace him in either the summer transfer window or the following January's was incompetence personified!

For the record he paid just short of £3 million on Ream to replace Cahill and Ryo Miyaichi on loan from Arsenal to supplement the attack, which included at the time Klanic, Kevin Davies, Tuncay (on season loan), Petrov, Eagles and the £4 million Coyle signing David Ngog!

So he spent the remaining £4 million for yet another striker and not a desparetly needed Holden replacement knowing Holden's knee had gone again in November (and kept him out for the whole of the following season and a half!!!).

Coyle was/is a clown.

192OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Feb 26 2018, 21:06

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I agree Sluffy, and he's proved that time and time again. He only lasted as long as he did with us, because he was a nice guy, and well liked. Unfortunately, his crap tactics, team selections, and purchases, eventually caught up with him. (He was a good advert for the Barclays Premier League though, making reference to it at every opportunity  Very Happy )

193OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Wed Feb 28 2018, 17:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like our 1884 kit. We should adopt this for next season. We'd be a sensation.
OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Bolton_wanderers_1884-a

194OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Wed Feb 28 2018, 20:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

VAR really is a joke. Just seen a ridiculous decision in the Spurs game.

195OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Thu Mar 01 2018, 18:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Owen Coyle resigns. Where next.  Shocked

196OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Fri Mar 02 2018, 08:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Owen Coyle resigns. Where next.  Shocked
 Chorley  Very Happy

197OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Mar 04 2018, 04:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

198OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Mar 04 2018, 11:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori has died at the age of 31, his club have confirmed.

199OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Mar 04 2018, 18:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glad to see Chelsea gave it a real go against City today  Razz

200OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 10 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Mar 04 2018, 18:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glad to see Chelsea gave it a real go against City today  Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 30 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum