Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where is technology taking us?

+8
Reebok Trotter
Sluffy
boltonbonce
karlypants
Bwfc1958
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
gloswhite
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Where is technology taking us? Empty Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 09:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I received more electronic gadgets for Christmas, and was wondering where technology is going, and how its going to impact us all.
I remember not too long ago, when I didn't need a mobile phone, but I now find that I couldn't cope without one, and not always through choice.
I turn my central heating on before I get home, I even turned it on for my wife when I was in Germany, (she had let her phone run down), but we're now looking at a coming-of-age of the AI, driver-less cars, and talk again of space expeditions to the moon and Mars. Everyone's got a website and an app, and we are all very dependent on this explosion of technology. Is this personal access to just about everything a good thing, or will it affect society in an adverse way?
My own thoughts are that were getting closer to the bio-computer, whereby we use/control computers, or machinery, through an implant which integrates with our brain directly, (Virtual Reality is getting there slowly but surely). Of course, in a science fiction sort of way, once we have these, who knows if the person with an implant is not themselves capable of being controlled, to some degree?
What changes, big and small, can you see, or would like to see, coming along, and how will they affect us ? (lets see how long it takes to start an argument  Very Happy)

2Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 10:13

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I agree that direct human/computer links are inevitable in the future. We are already starting to see some early work in this area with AI assisted limbs. I struggle to keep up with a lot of these developments and have only a few apps on my phone (most of which I never use!) but recognise just how much developments in IT affect our lives. How many teenagers can imagine a world without the internet or mobile phones? How many of them buy physical copies of music or films?

If you are interested in this glos there are some good quality scifi novels and short stories which explore these ideas. Unfortunately there is also quite a lot of rubbish out there as well.

3Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 11:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:I agree that direct human/computer links are inevitable in the future. We are already starting to see some early work in this area with AI assisted limbs. I struggle to keep up with a lot of these developments and have only a few apps on my phone (most of which I never use!) but recognise just how much developments in IT affect our lives. How many teenagers can imagine a world without the internet or mobile phones? How many of them buy physical copies of music or films?

If you are interested in this glos there are some good quality scifi novels and short stories which explore these ideas. Unfortunately there is also quite a lot of rubbish out there as well.

:clap:

Congratulations! Your first ever post that didn't mention Brexit or the Tories.

4Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 11:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Bloody hell Nat, one posting in, and your looking to start an argument, on a topic that should be completely non-controversial  Very Happy, (have to admit, I do agree with you though, sorry XM Smile )

5Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 11:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:I agree that direct human/computer links are inevitable in the future. We are already starting to see some early work in this area with AI assisted limbs. I struggle to keep up with a lot of these developments and have only a few apps on my phone (most of which I never use!) but recognise just how much developments in IT affect our lives. How many teenagers can imagine a world without the internet or mobile phones? How many of them buy physical copies of music or films?

Agree XM, and we've spoken before about science fiction. As I said previously, I believe good SF to be and extension of current science fact.

I doubt most youngsters will be able to 'think outside the box', in some years to come, having it all done for them, unless of course, they are involved in IT.

might apply for a cryogenic freezing, to be woken up in 100 years, just to see what happened  Very Happy

6Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Tue Jan 09 2018, 11:34

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

:clap:

Congratulations! Your first ever post that didn't mention Brexit or the Tories.

Well brexit and this government are the only things that rival supporting Bolton for depressing me at the moment. Plenty of other things to be cheerful about - some of which I do post about on films and tv. Smile

7Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 17:44

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

No matter how much technology comes along, I can never imagine myself sitting in a car that's driving itself. I would shit myself at every junction.

8Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:No matter how much technology comes along, I can never imagine myself sitting in a car that's driving itself. I would shit myself at every junction.
You might be shitting yourself in a driverless car but just think of the joy others will get by knowing you are not behind the wheel!  Where is technology taking us? Icon_biggrin

9Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There we go. Very Happy

10Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:14

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

That's better. If you're going to give me abuse, at least do it in the correct place.

11Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:16

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

If I ever have to deliver something to your house kp, I'm gonna wipe my arse on it before I hand it over.

12Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:If I ever have to deliver something to your house kp, I'm gonna wipe my arse on it before I hand it over.
You must work for Hermes.

13Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:20

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

boltonbonce wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:If I ever have to deliver something to your house kp, I'm gonna wipe my arse on it before I hand it over.
I don't but I know they're shit. I actually worked for yodel at one point, and they are arguably even worse.

14Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:22

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looks like I will be cancelling my Prime subscription then! Very Happy

15Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:22

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
I don't but I know they're shit. I actually worked for yodel at one point, and they are arguably even worse.
To be fair, my local Hermes delivery guy is really nice and efficient.

16Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:24

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Order an hedgehog KP!

Very Happy

(Disclaimer - No hedgehogs were harmed in the making of this post)

17Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:27

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

karlypants wrote:
Looks like I will be cancelling my Prime subscription then! Very Happy
No need to worry, I'm out of the parcel delivering game now. Whizzing around all day for shit money isn't much fun.

18Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:28

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Sluffy wrote:

Order an hedgehog KP!

Very Happy

Very Happy

19Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Order an hedgehog KP!

Very Happy

Good one! lol!

Either that or sandpaper! Very Happy

20Where is technology taking us? Empty Re: Where is technology taking us? Thu Jan 11 2018, 18:35

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

We all know your next order is gonna be a blow up doll and a gimp mask, so I don't think I need to worry.  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum