Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VAR could help eradicate mistakes like the one at Sheffield Wednesday

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

PHIL Parkinson would like to see the controversial VAR system implemented at Championship level.
The Wanderers boss was left perplexed on Saturday, as referee Darren Bond over-ruled an offside flag from his assistant to award George Boyd’s 78th minute strike for Sheffield Wednesday.
Parkinson claimed Jordan Rhodes had obstructed Mark Beevers’ chances of blocking the shot, running into an offside position.
Aaron Wilbraham came to the rescue with an injury time leveller but asked whether he would like to see the introduction of a video assistant referee, the Whites boss was all in favour for such incidents.

“For goals I don’t see why not – it should only take 10 seconds, really,” he told The Bolton News.
“That hurt us on the bench, I’ll be honest. You can never be 100 per cent sure what has happened but if a striker is smack bang in the middle of goal, affecting the defender’s position, he has got to be offside.
“It was a blow but I am pleased we got a point and it isn’t as big a talking point as it would have been.”
VAR has been trialled in several major competitions and will be used in this summer’s World Cup finals to eliminate “obvious errors” from match officials.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/16079478.bolton-boss-var-could-help-eradicate-mistakes-like-the-one-at-sheffield-wednesday/?ref=mr&lp=10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What a load of crap. It was a fair goal, Parky should just shut the fuck up. Rhodes didn't block anyone, and wasn't offside.

If we'd had that goal disallowed Parky would have had a totally differing stance.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:What a load of crap. It was a fair goal, Parky should just shut the fuck up. Rhodes didn't block anyone, and wasn't offside.

If we'd had that goal disallowed Parky would have had a totally differing stance.
Fully agree. Parky should be looking closer to home for his excuses.

Agreed, nothing wrong with that goal. If the linesman hadn’t had a panic attack I doubt there would have been any furore. The issue is I don’t even think officials are confident with offside rules as the technicalities change every other day, it needs simplifying.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Don't think VAR would have chalked off the goal in any case, the offside law itself is open to interpretation and until there is less of a grey area in the rules there will always be differences of opinion.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whether it was a fair goal or not is irrelevant IMO. Fact is that the breaks can always go against you at any time in a game of football (flukes, bad decisions etc) and the only thing that can be done about it is to create enough opportunities to score goals so that IF the opposition get a lucky break there's less chance of it having an impact on the result. 
We can't control the ref and we can't control fate, so Parky should be focussed on the things we can control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum