Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP

+5
Sluffy
rammywhite
karlypants
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Sun Aug 12 2018, 13:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If this was a league match, Leeds performances under Bielsa, especially the demolition (of) Derby, would have me very worried indeed, but I suspect this game will be all about priorities and ours is clearly Championship survival so I'm expecting fringe players e.g. ALF and Oztumer to start.
After 2 games Leeds have a +5 GD which is indicative of Bielsa's attacking style so regardless of who they put out I imagine they'll go at us hammer and tongs and play a high press.
I expect us to lose, but hopefully there will be a decent performance and that some of the fringe players will stake a claim for a starting spot.

I'm guessing 2 nil.

2Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 03:34

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't agree lusty. I think we might lose but we WILL score at least one. It's still early doors of course but we seem to be far more attack minded than we were last term AND we're converting chances at a much improved rate. I'm gonna predict 2-2 at ninety minutes. Wildschut to score first. Us to win aet/pens.

One reason for that is I think Leeds see themselves as serious promotion contenders and they'll keep their very best players for the League as a result. Whatever team they play I just have a feeling we're going to nick this one.

3Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 09:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's being suggested that Bielsa will make 10 changes from the team that hammered Derby.

4Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 11:09

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ref watch: Haines to take charge of Leeds United v Bolton Wanderers

Andy Haines will oversee Wanderers’ First Round Carabao Cup away tie against Leeds United tomorrow evening.

The official, who has been involved in the professional game since 2007, took charge of 33 games last season, producing 99 yellow and sending off six players.

In his previous game, Haines oversaw Cambridge United versus Notts County in Sky Bet League Two, where the home side won 3-2 with three yellow cards branded.

Matthew Jones and Wayne Grunnill will run the line the game, with Lee Freeman taking the role of fourth official.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 19:37

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:It's being suggested that Bielsa will make 10 changes from the team that hammered Derby.
If he does it won't surprise me for the reason I already stated. I think we will nick this one whatever squad he plays. I know it's very early doors but this season feels more hopeful to me than any in the last ten years or so. In fact I'm probably being wildly over optimistic but there's a buzz around the place that hasn't been there in a long time. It almost feels like the summer of '92 again.

Or maybe it's just my meds. Smile

6Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 19:46

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:It's being suggested that Bielsa will make 10 changes from the team that hammered Derby.
If he does it won't surprise me for the reason I already stated. I think we will nick this one whatever squad he plays. I know it's very early doors but this season feels more hopeful to me than any in the last ten years or so. In fact I'm probably being wildly over optimistic but there's a buzz around the place that hasn't been there in a long time. It almost feels like the summer of '92 again.

You're right- its your meds!

7Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 19:48

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I suspect you're right but I still feel more optimistic than I have in some years.

8Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 20:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I suspect you're right but I still feel more optimistic than I have in some years.
...but you're always optimistic at the beginning of the season.

9Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Mon Aug 13 2018, 20:45

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Not like this mate. I usually hope for the best while privately preparing for the worst. This year I genuinely don't believe we're going to have a bad season. Maybe it's because I'm finally getting over my own depression (my meds are now very low dose and I don't need them often, about once a week or so) but for some reason I really think this could be a very good year to be a Trotter. One thing I do know is we're NOT going to win the league but I do honestly feel we'll be top half which a month ago I would have said was too much to expect. To be honest part of that is down to the fact we're scoring goals and actually taking chances much better than we have in the last few years. Sure we lost a two goal lead against Bristol but I'm encouraged by the fact we HAD a two goal lead given how badly our attack performed in recent years. There also seems to be a different mind set from PP and the coaches this year, we're not playing 'park the bus and hoof it'. I've just seen the whole game against Bristol (a mate found a stream and downloaded the entire match but won't tell me which software let him do that) and we played some really good football. With the arrival of a solid left back I honestly think we're a genuinely competitive outfit now.

10Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 09:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Preview: Five talking points ahead of Leeds United v Bolton Wanderers

Phil Parkinson’s men undergo their first cup fixture of the 2018/19 season, when his side take on Leeds United in the first round of the Carabao Cup. Five talking points were picked out by bwfc.co.uk ahead of the encounter.

1.      Last Time Out

When last coming up against Leeds, it was last season when the opponents took the spoils in a 2-1 defeat for the Whites at Elland Road.

Caleb Ekuban opened the scoring for the home side on four minutes, with Pablo Hernandez doubling the deficit just after the half time break.

Adam Le Fondre pulled one back for Wanderers straight after, as he expertly nodded home from a Sammy Ameobi free-kick.  

2.      Extending the unbeaten run

After taking four points from six available from the first two league fixtures, the Whites are looking to extend their unbeaten run to three games against United.

The last time Wanderers achieved this was in the 2017/18 season in March, drawing against Reading and Sheffield Wednesday before an Adam Le Fondre goal took the spoils against Aston Villa.

With two great results against West Brom and Bristol City to build on, the Trotters will be looking to take all that momentum into Tuesday.

3.      Opponent’s current form

Leeds come into this game with great form behind them, taking maximum points from their two opening Sky Bet Championship fixtures.

They opened up the season with an emphatic 3-1 victory against former Premier League side Stoke City.

The West Yorkshire side followed this up with a 4-1 win against Frank Lampard’s Derby County.

4.      New boss

This summer, there have been various new additions made by the club during the summer.

Marcelo Bielsa was appointed as manager of the club in June after the sacking of Paul Heckingbottom.

Following on from a three-year playing career in his native Argentina, this will be Bielsa’s 28th year in management.

During his time at Athletic Bilbao, he finished runner-up in the UEFA Europa League and Copa del Rey in 2011/12. He also won the gold medal with Argentina in the 2004 Summer Olympics.

He was appointed manager of Leeds in June 2018.

In terms of playing staff, full back Barry Douglas was brought in from Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Scottish international was instrumental in gaining promotion to the top tier of English football for Wolves last season, playing 40 times in the league with five goals to his name.

As well as Douglas, striker Patrick Bamford signed from Middlesbrough in July. A former England youth international, Bamford was named Football League Championship Player of the Year in 2014/15 whilst playing for Middlesbrough on loan.

That season, he notched up 17 goals in 38 Sky Bet Championship games.

5.      Pay on the Day

Wanderers supporters will be able to buy tickets from the turnstiles at Elland Road, tomorrow evening, on a cash only basis.

Adult, over 60 and under 23 price bands will increase by £5 on the day. Tickets for under 16’s will remain at £1.

Advanced sales are still available via the phone lines & in person at Bolton Central until 10am on Tuesday 14th August, after which time, no sales or refunds can be processed.

Season Ticket Holder/Members Match Day Prices (season or members card must be presented at the turnstiles)

Adults - £15.00

Over 60’s - £10.00

Under 23’s - £10.00

Under 16’s - £1.00

Non Season Ticket Holder/Members Match Day Prices

Adults - £20.00

Over 60’s - £15.00

Under 23’s - £15.00

Under 16’s - £1.00

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 09:55

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Press Conference:

12Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 14:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not sure how you missed my post on this just above Sluffy. Very Happy

13Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 14:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:Not sure how you missed my post on this just above Sluffy. Very Happy

Embarassed

Sorry, I'm a bit disorganised today and rushing rather than checking things properly like I normally do.

I've taken it down now.

Very Happy

14Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 15:29

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Don't worry, this strange feeling of optimism won't last very long.

15Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 15:41

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Cajunboy wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

In fact, till tea time on Saturday

16Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 16:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

In fact, till tea time on Saturday
Reading might be bottom of the league but they've had two very tough games and will be determined to pick up their first win on Saturday, but I reckon we should be able to pick up a point which would be fantastic and further fuel LPP's seemingly boundless joy.

17Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 16:14

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3-1 win tonight. Donaldson to run them ragged

18Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 17:38

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Boggersbelief wrote:3-1 win tonight. Donaldson to run them ragged

Boggers I love your optimism

19Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 19:00

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hall starts, that’s a turn up

20Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP  Empty Re: Leeds 2-1 Bolton EFL CUP Tue Aug 14 2018, 19:12

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hope he makes the most of his chance

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum