Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Defender Delaney is focused on his future at Bolton Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ryan Delaney is in a rather unique position as he ponders the future at Bolton Wanderers.

One of only a handful of players contracted to next season, he is carrying little baggage from the previous seven months in League One after making his full debut for the club at Wimbledon on Saturday.

The freshness comes through as the Irishman talks of Bolton bouncing back up the leagues and his own personal goal of nailing down a place in the side between now and May – a far cry from the doom and gloom which has inevitably enveloped the UniBol in such difficult circumstances.

His encouraging performance at the Cherry Red Records Stadium alongside Toto Nsiala attracted praise and helped Wanderers secure back-to-back clean sheets for the first time in 18 months.

There may be a little way to go before Bolton fans completely share his enthusiasm for the future but the 23-year-old seems determined to take on the challenge of restoring the club’s fortunes.

“Circumstances are difficult but when you are coming in you have to try and put that to one side and get your head around working hard, preparing well,” he told The Bolton News. “I don’t think we can look into the past too much.

“It is difficult for the players that have been here, it’s difficult for everyone, but the main thing is that we stay in it together. We are here to try and get Bolton back to where we feel they should be – it’s a massive club who should be progressing back up the leagues.

“What has happened at the start of the season has happened, I’m here looking to take some positives out of the games we have left.”

Delaney signed for Bolton on an 18-month deal in January having previously played under Keith Hill at Rochdale.

“He helped me progress after I’d come over form Ireland, that was one of the main factors in me signing here. I hope he can progress me more,” the defender said.

Hill has come under fire from sections of the Wanderers support since Wanderers were beaten by Burton on New Year’s Day, after which the club’s survival prospects evaporated quickly as an unsettled side struggled to find consistency.

Injuries could bite hard at the Pirelli Stadium tonight but Delaney believes it is unfair to point the finger of blame directly at the dugout.

“It isn’t one person – we all have to take criticism together. We work hard during the week and everyone is giving their all, that is the main thing and all you can do.

“Big players have gone down injured but there are lads on the fringes who are itching to prove themselves. I think we have got a good squad that can help us at Burton.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum