Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keith Hill has gone

+10
terenceanne
gloswhite
Whitesince63
wessy
Norpig
Sluffy
Cajunboy
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Keith Hill has gone Empty Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 17:08

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers Football Club can confirm that it will not be offering new contracts to Keith Hill and David Flitcroft when their current deals expire at the end of the month.

The Board would like to place on record its gratitude to Keith and David who took over the managerial reins in August 2019 and extends its very best wishes for their future careers.

Chairman of Bolton Wanderers Football Club, Sharon Brittan, said: “On behalf of the board I would like to thank Keith and David for their work since being appointed last year.

“Following on from this week's announcement by the EFL and confirmation that Bolton Wanderers will be playing in Sky Bet League Two next season, we believe it to be in the best interests of the Club that we have a fresh approach to our management and coaching structure for the next season and beyond.

“I would like to wish Keith and David all the very best for the future.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 17:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who do people fancy taking the job on?

3Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 17:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone without a connection to BWFC.

4Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 17:46

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bound to be someone with a link to Bolton

5Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 17:52

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Anyone without a connection to BWFC.
Totally agree with that sentiment.

6Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 18:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I guess a number of internal factors have been in place recently as it seems to me with Emma leaving and now the manager and assistant not having their contracts renewed and with no income coming in that was budgeted for (six home games (iirc?) and all the match day sales, etc) that finances are probably driving what's going on).

I would imagine that Phillips and Lee's jobs are up in the air, with no under 23's anymore and it would be interesting to know if they are on fixed term contracts or opened ones - and if so when do the fixed term end or how much redundancy will it cost to get shut of them?

There may even be a scenario were Phillips and Lee replace Hill and Flitcroft, not as the best people for the job but simply to save money on redundancies?

I still don't understand the role of Phoenix nor the involvement of Kenyon?

There was talk of a change at Director level iirc, not seen anything yet, should be interesting as and when that happens.

To be honest I can't see much benefit of even appointing a manager (and his mates he will want to bring along with him) until the club knows a bit more of how they will be funded next season with no crowds and/or what it costs to put in place social distancing infra structure and systems.

Maybe before then the 2m rule will have been scrapped and it be deemed safe to go to the match as normal?

Who knows but I think money/costs are in the forefront of the thinking of whatever is going on right now and the planning for the immediate future.

7Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 18:47

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am surprised they've done it now, thought they'd give him till Christmas. I think it will be David Lee now as it's the cheap option and it will go down well with most fans.

8Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 18:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I am surprised they've done it now, thought they'd give him till Christmas. I think it will be David Lee now as it's the cheap option and it will go down well with most fans.

Not this fan.

We need a clean break.

Micky Adams for me. Alan Irvine as assistant.

9Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 18:50

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jesus Nat you've been recycling those names for as long as i've been on this site  Very Happy

10Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 18:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Jesus Nat you've been recycling those names for as long as i've been on this site  Very Happy

And each time I've been ignored. How did that work out?

Let me pick the next manager.

11Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 19:39

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

i never quite understand the automatic knee jerk reaction to appoint a former Wanderer, ok it worked with Big sam but he turned out to be special and a Premeirship class manager, Coyle bombed, Sammy Lee say no more, Even the great Nat Lofthouse couldn't hack it.

Fans clammering for one of the following Nolan, Lee, Brown, or Phillips. Even Mcginlay and Davies mentioned Really ?  

The last two have no experience at all, Jimmy Phillips as had ample opportunities and would bore me to death not good enough, Phil Brown yes 15 years ago maybe, but surely that ship has sailed, Nolan one decent season at L2 level then bombed out, leaving David Lee a great coach and can see some appeal due to our financial position, but again not for me, do we really want to risk giving it to somebody with no experience at all, also if he bombs we then loose his coaching ability.

Not a clue who we should appoint but other than Sam our previous success comes from appointing an outsider , Neil, Armfield,Greaves, Rioch, Todd. I hope that the right guy is due to pop up again and that he just happens to be on the shortlist.

12Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 20:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The bookies have Barrow manager Ian Evatt as one of the favourites.

I wouldn't argue with that, done a fine job at Barrow in the last couple of years.

13Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 22:49

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I’m not sure why you’re all so against one of our own getting the job. Personally I’d go for David Lee, supported by Tony Kelly and Nicky Spooner. I think it’s David’s time, he’s a really positive and bright character and I’m sure would get the best from our young squad. I think it’s a bit insulting to label him a cheap option. Yes it would be less expensive as they’re already here but also because it doesn’t involve a journeyman manager coming in and bringing his own mates with him. I’d see that as a positive not a negative. I wouldn’t have a problem with a young manager of potential like Ian Evett who has everything in front of him but I definitely don’t want the likes of Clough and others who’ve constantly failed.

14Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 23:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:I’m not sure why you’re all so against one of our own getting the job. Personally I’d go for David Lee, supported by Tony Kelly and Nicky Spooner. I think it’s David’s time, he’s a really positive and bright character and I’m sure would get the best from our young squad. I think it’s a bit insulting to label him a cheap option. Yes it would be less expensive as they’re already here but also because it doesn’t involve a journeyman manager coming in and bringing his own mates with him. I’d see that as a positive not a negative. I wouldn’t have a problem with a young manager of potential like Ian Evett who has everything in front of him but I definitely don’t want the likes of Clough and others who’ve constantly failed.

I've nothing against David Lee and compared to some of the journeymen being mentioned I'd prefer him. But If David Lee had never played for Bolton and was currently managing, say, Coventry's under 23's would he be in with a shot of the job?

15Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Fri Jun 12 2020, 23:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:I’m not sure why you’re all so against one of our own getting the job. Personally I’d go for David Lee, supported by Tony Kelly and Nicky Spooner. I think it’s David’s time, he’s a really positive and bright character and I’m sure would get the best from our young squad. I think it’s a bit insulting to label him a cheap option. Yes it would be less expensive as they’re already here but also because it doesn’t involve a journeyman manager coming in and bringing his own mates with him. I’d see that as a positive not a negative. I wouldn’t have a problem with a young manager of potential like Ian Evett who has everything in front of him but I definitely don’t want the likes of Clough and others who’ve constantly failed.

Hello 63, good to see you post on here again, hope you stick around, you're certainly wasted amongst the trolls on the Bolton News comments section!

Not sure if one of your comments about Lee being cheap was pointed in my direction but I'm certain money is tighter than what could have been possibly expected at this stage by FV and I'm fairly convinced that Emma's leaving to save the club money, in such the same way as Clough moved aside at Burton because of the financial hole they found themselves in with no games/income coming due to the virus.

It's no secret that most clubs in the bottom two tiers voted to end the season simply because playing games with no matchday income means trading at a loss - which most of them can not sustain.  Their fear is that there may well be no crowds allowed back for the foreseeable future, maybe in to next year, and thus they have to tailor the limited money they receive to sustain themselves indefinitely until crowds (and their money) are allowed back.

They will not know how many season tickets they will be able to sell because although people say they will still continue to buy one for next season, people don't always back up their words with actions and when it comes to the time to commit they may not see the point of spending money on games they can not even attend.

Added to that there's no telling how many might end up out of a job due to the economy collapsing, certainly anyone working in hospitality, holidays, leisure, etc face an uncertain future.

So if I were FV I'd be holding fire on committing to a manager for as long as I can until some things (the return of the fans at games for instance) become much more clearer.

I've no idea really what job Lee now does, is he even still at the club, if so what are they paying him to do?  I would have thought his job to the u23's no longer exists and had presumed he's being made redundant or awaiting the end of the season (30th June?) to the end of his contract?

Should we have Lee as the manager?

He's no experience and crucially to my mind he doesn't know the league we will be playing in, or the players from that league (someone's going to have to put a squad together) nor the teams/managers/players we will be facing next season.

His plus points are that he knows the youngsters he's brought through and I doubt he will seek a fortune in wages.  He also knows well the rest of the clubs backroom staff, so there wouldn't be a massive clear out/cost as there would if some new manager from outside was appointed.

If I were FV Lee would be the option that most appealed to me as say an interim manager, until the dust settles more with playing behind closed doors/actual sales of ST/stability within the club for now.

Once things have cleared a bit I would look for some experienced and sensible manager at our new level, who knows his way around this league (even the local conference level).  Maybe like the Barrow manager (although I hadn't even heard of him until today) who might fit such a criteria?

So yes, I stand by my view of Lee being a cheap option but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on him, with him knowing nothing of this league, teams or players and giving him the job simply because he's an ex-player and had a bit of success with the reserves playing in the combination league or whatever it is called against teams like Barrow Bridge reserves and Rawtenstall thirds.

Needs must though and FV will look at their bank statements and what they have left in their saving up jar and plump for the best they can afford which may well be David Lee.

16Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Sat Jun 13 2020, 11:59

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Personally, I'm surprised Pay Per View games haven't been pushed for by the clubs. With no income, I'm sure the authorities would be prepared to waive the rules.

17Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Sat Jun 13 2020, 12:31

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Normally I'm in favor of getting rid of the recent managers but I'm going the other way on this one - This is a total mistake IMO

We are back to square one - No CEO no managers, no players, no money. Forget all about getting a name brand manager. That person would demand a good salary which we are not going to pay. 
To me the whole thing is another step backwards.

What is the state of our club when League Two begins - I dunno.

18Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Sat Jun 13 2020, 12:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Normally I'm in favor of getting rid of the recent managers but I'm going the other way on this one - This is a total mistake IMO

I'm not sure of your reasoning. We should keep him on just so we've got a manager?

19Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Sat Jun 13 2020, 13:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I believe that Keith Hill had to go, and I also believe that the management have this planned out, taking into consideration all the problems we've been through. Hopefully, we'll at least start off on an even keel, something we haven't had for a very long time.

20Keith Hill has gone Empty Re: Keith Hill has gone Sat Jun 13 2020, 13:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Iles did a bit of a blog yesterday and these were some of the more interesting comments he made -

5:23pm

Far too early to be talking about favourites - but fair to say that the club has had its feelers out for a while.
Kevin Nolan has NOT been contacted.  

5:26pm

I think the club will go for the right man. Don't think it excludes those in work.

5:32pm

No favourite - because frankly I don't think the process is anywhere near finished.
My gut feeling is that they will appoint an external candidate.

5:33pm

I think they will look down the 'younger' [manager] route, yes.

5:43pm

I think it's fair to say that some of the outbursts [Hill's] (particularly post-Rochdale) were not received well.

6:08pm

My money is on a more continental style head coach, with the recruitment department being built above. Similar to Brentford, for example.

[this earlier tweet relates to this point -

5:29pm

It would seem the mainstay of recruitment is in the hands of Tobias Phoenix, so it shouldn't have a huge impact on the plans.
As I understand it, the club want to structure the recruitment department so that it exists regardless of the manager (i.e. you don't have to rip up and start again after each one). ].

6:08pm

My money is on a more continental style head coach, with the recruitment department being built above. Similar to Brentford, for example.

6:48pm

I am certain there haven't been interviews - but for a few weeks we have been hearing that the club has been looking to see who could be available [to replace Hill].

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum