Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wigan in Administration

+21
Growler
Sluffy
Ten Bobsworth
xmiles
okocha
Cajunboy
finlaymcdanger
Banks of the Croal
sunlight
gloswhite
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
wessy
boltonbonce
Norpig
wanderlust
observer
RangersDave
Boggersbelief
Bollotom2014
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28 ... 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 42]

271Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 09 2020, 11:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

STATEMENT FROM THE JOINT ADMINISTRATORS (09.09.20)

The Joint Administrators recently met with representatives of the EFL for permission from them to start the season on 13 September 2020. We are informed that the board of the EFL are meeting later this week and one of the items is to consider this request. We have kept the EFL informed of the progress of selling the club and we are quietly optimistic that this permission will be given. An update will be given once the board of the EFL have written to us.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/september/Statement-From-The-Joint-Administrators-09-09-20-/

272Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 09 2020, 12:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

273Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 09 2020, 14:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wigan Athletic 'move to play at Leigh' rumour is hosed down

Administrators in charge of Wigan Athletic have eased fans fears the club may relocate to Leigh.

A report in The Sun suggested the American group fronted by Frenchman Gauthier Ganaye would want to play at the Sports Village to save on costs.
Co-administrator Paul Stanley said: "We've not had a bidder proposing moving the club to Leigh. It doesn't mean that someone won't make that offer - but why would we accept that?"
Such a fanciful and controversial move, while it would be cost-effective for the new owner, wouldn't make sense for the administrators, the council - which also owns the Sports Village - or DW stable-mates, Wigan Warriors.
It wouldn't raise enough to pay off the non-football creditors to ensure Latics aren't docked 15 points. And it would leave the administrators with an empty £3m-valued stadium which the Warriors are unlikely - or unable - to operate alone, given the high running costs.
The administrators - in charge of the club since July 1 - have been clear their preference is to sell Wigan Athletic with its three main assets: the DW Stadium - which they value at £3m - as well as the Christopher Park training base (£500,000) and the site of Sharpey's chippy (£500,000).
Stanley said they one bidder had even suggested playing home games on the road at different available grounds each week, which isn't allowed under EFL rules. Clubs exiting administration must have a tenancy agreement on a ground for 10 years (exceptions may be made for building work).
Co-administrator Gerald Krasner, who had previously dismissed the American bidders as 'not serious', was equally dismissive of the idea they may sell the club to an owner who planned to relocate Wigan Athletic to Leigh.
"It’s rubbish, the new owners are going to move us to Leigh?" he told supporter Barry Worthington, of Progress With Unity, who is holding a weekly update with him.
"There’s no way we’re going to be left with an empty stadium... this is not part of a game plan that we are involved in – and you can quote me on that."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-move-play-leigh-rumour-hosed-down-2965993

The longer this goes on the less I can understand what's happening - and I could understand a great deal even at the start!

IF Nixon is to be believed (he earns his money for writing articles in the papers remember) a French bloke who was formerly the CEO at Barnsley is the front man for American money, that seems to be the only player in town (Plan B - and the more likely one being the Wigan Supporters in connection with others come together to form a sort of life raft to save the club albeit maybe as a phoenix one).

So I would have thought this French former EFL football club CEO would have known about the requirement of Wigan NEEDING a guaranteed venue to play at if they were to come out of administration. Clearly tossing in ideas to play at Leigh or some place else at the last minute doesn't meet that requirement.

I wasn't aware of this 10 year rule but then again I'm not a former EFL club CEO and not trying to buy a club out of admin either.

So if the situation is genuine he either did not know about this (and surely the Administrators would have already pointed this fact out to him in early talks?) or maybe the ploy has always been to get the golden share ownership of the club and relocate it someplace else in the country (Wimbledon tried to move to Dublin once remember before they ended up at MK). Perhaps this 10 year rule came in to stop such things happening like that again?

I can't understand therefore why they want the club in the middle of a pandemic, that clearly has no/insufficient revenue streams to make the club self sustainable, playing in a stadium that's too big for them/not negotiated a 10 year lease to play elsewhere, with no players, and now just four days from the start of the season, of which they have yet to get EFL approval or presumably past the EFL, FFP test?

It seems to me the EFL has accepted the Admins submission to them that they have got a firm buyer but the Admin have since confirmed there is currently no live bid on the table???

The club have signed 2/3 players on a month contract, so clearly the EFL sanctioned that and now there is news that the ADMIN have brought in a 'manager' to 'help'/'manage' the team - again indicating they expect to be starting the season - but I would imagine that any buyer of the club would want to pick their own manager?

The Admin have quite clearly stated they are not here to run a football club but on the face of it, it seems to me at least, that is exactly what they appear to be doing!

I can only think they are doing so until the Wigan supporters club have got all the 'ducks in a line' and with help from the council and rugby club, etc manage to buy the club and stadium somehow and fund it through the season and hopefully get to grips with it properly next summer?

Maybe I'm completely wrong.

As I say I haven't a clue - non of it makes any sense at all to me.

274Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 00:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wigan Supporters set up company -

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12856773

Two of the four Directors in talks with Admin -

A bit of a stretch of my imagination probably but I wonder if this is one of the building blocks that has now been put in place to facilitate the ownership of the club to the supporters association if all else fails with other purchasers (are there really any serious ones circling the club anyway?)

Although it lists its purpose and objectives to simply be a fan based representation organisation, its 'powers' listed clearly go well be that limitation and doesn't seem to exclude it from owning the club as far as I could see.

If people recall the Bolton ST was/is a charity based non profit organisation and they had to set up a company at Companies House when they had grandiose ideas above their station when they thought they might have some bizarre chance of taking on the club from Anderson - Allanson set it up before his star plummeted.

Wigan Council is precluded in law to own the club and Wigan rugby don't want it, so maybe the idea is for somewhere for it to go if it needs a home in the not to distant future!

I'm not saying this WILL happen but it seems to allow it to if need be?

275Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 08:32

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

wont anyone still have to prove they have 4mil available to fund 2 seasons of operations?

276Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 09:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wake me up when something actually happens.

277Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 11:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

RangersDave wrote:wont anyone still have to prove they have 4mil available to fund 2 seasons of operations?

According to the EFL - Yes.

But the EFL, to be fair to them - and to the anger of nearly everyone else - have bent, twisted, interpreted, stretched their own rules, in order to keep clubs in the league - look at how they behaved with clubs like Bury when they had a takeover midseason with someone clearly with a dodgy record of liquidating business, or us starting the season in Admin with clearly not a definite buyer guaranteed.

Their Supporters club has £640k or so in the bank to run the club, the Admin say they, from player sales, have money to pay the player wages for a couple months (and to pay off the unsecured creditors at 25p in the £) and if others in some sort of partnership with them such as the Council/Wigan Rugby buy the ground and let them play there, then I reckon its possible for them to get through a season (note the salary cap for wages for that division is £2.5m but that doesn't mean they have to pay that amount, they could say play to their own wage cap of say £500k for instance.

There is a lot of if's and but's in there I know but if everyone is willing and the EFL agrees I think it is just about possible for them to survive a year and look for someone to sell the club on to thereafter.

I guess we will find out in the coming weeks one way or the other.

278Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 13:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

That Nixon story from yesterday -

SIMON GRAYSON is set for a shock return to management with crisis club Wigan Athletic.
Grayson will be brought in by the administrators to run the side and take the senior role currently filled by caretaker Leam Richardson.
The experienced boss will be drafted in to help the backroom team and should be in the dug-out for the opener at Ipswich on Sunday.
It is a remarkable move while the admins try to find a buyer but run into massive problems finding anyone to pick up the full £4million bill.
Grayson is happy to help after being out of work since a brief stint at Blackpool ended a year ago.
He has also worked at this level with Preston and been a success.
It will be an open-ended relationship with Grayson on a minimal salary but keen to get back into the game with no idea how long it will last.
Grayson is known to administrator Gerald Krasner but the idea to bring him in was also from Richardson who succeeded Paul Cook when he quit last month.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12624007/simon-grayson-return-management-wigan/

279Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 10 2020, 14:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Very Happy

Seems he said NO to them!

Also with the EFL kick off just days away...

280Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Fri Sep 11 2020, 11:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

As I expected based on having the green light already given to sign players on a month contract -

281Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Fri Sep 11 2020, 11:51

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

verbally? i think i'd have liked it in writing, especially taking into account how the EFL make up rules and change their mind at will!

I cannot figure out why the Championship allows such a crap organisation to continue to rule them!

Not sure the EFL are operating in the interests of Wigan or indeed, looking at the bigger picture, the league as a whole.

282Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Sun Sep 13 2020, 13:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nixon's Sunday paper article -

Wigan takeover hope as American businessmen launch final £2m bid to buy cash-strapped Latics

AMERICAN businessmen Randy Frankel and Michael Kelt are making a final £2million bid for Wigan Athletic.
The pair and adviser Gauthier Ganaye have told the club administrators that they will buy the whole club for the sum to end the saga.
However the warning is that the group will walk away if it is not accepted as they are worried the squad has been badly damaged since they first bid three weeks ago.
Wigan have sold four top players and a training ground since the Americans first offered more than £5m.
Antonee Robinson was among the stars to leave, joining Premier League side Fulham on a £50,000-a-week, four-year deal after snubbing Everton.
And Frenchman Gauthier is also concerned that they will be unable to bring in new faces because of EFL salary cap restrictions.
The rescue job would become almost impossible this season if the deal was delayed until the transfer window shuts.
This offer falls short of the £4m demanded by the administrators who need money to pay creditors and cover their own fees and legal costs.

The American group looked into renting the ground off a rival bidder and also considered a move to Leigh’s rugby league stadium.
The change of address from Wigan's old DW Stadium ground would need approval by the EFL.
But it is already used by Manchester United in the WSL as well as Leigh in the rugby world. [Everybody KNOWS this isn't going to be happening - Sluffy]

However their final move is for the whole operation.

As the search for new ownership and an escape from administration continues, a Supporters’ Club Crowdfunder page has been set up to raise cash and save Wigan from going under.
Former Lactics favourites including Roberto Martinez, Reece James and James McClean have all stepped forward with donations.
And Victor Moses has given £20,000 to the fundraiser in a touching gesture.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12656434/wigan-takeover-hope-american-businessmen/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599988183

283Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Sun Sep 13 2020, 14:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Also a very 'grim' interview given by the 'third' Administrator pre match at Ipswich today only a couple of minutes long and worth a watch -

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/12070777/there-are-interested-parties

There is an interesting reaction though from the Wigan Supporters Club, who had been in talks with the Admin previously and were informed that none of the Admin would be in attendance for this match (why should they be really unless he's meeting a prospective buyer at the game?).

This is a tweet from the bloke who was one of the two having the talks with the Admin, which he posted earlier today -

He's not a happy bunny with them is he!

284Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Mon Sep 14 2020, 18:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wigan a target for Middle East-based business group MBuzz as talks over £3m rescue deal continue with stricken club

CRISIS club Wigan Athletic are a target for a rescue bid from the Middle East-based business group MBuzz.
Representatives of the company have met the administrators and are set to offer around £3million for the whole package this week.
MBuzz Sport will be the team trying to close the deal. They are a branch of a global telecom firm, based in Saudi Arabia but with offices in Dublin, Dubai and around Europe.
Their past experience in football includes a one-off shirt sponsorship deal for Wigan when they played Manchester United in the FA Cup.
The company also took a stake in Spanish side Leganes and have been involved with Sheffield United on their commercial side.
The administrators will be glad of a rival bid as American pair Randy Frankel and Michael Kelt are only willing to pay around £2m which would leave them scrambling for their fees.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12666391/wigan-middle-east-group-rescue-deal/

All seems a bit contrived to me, someone turning up at the last minute to buy a club with no players for £3m and rack up a further £4/5m debt over the next two years - in the middle of a worldwide pandemic - for what reason really?

Surely the EFL's patience must be wearing a little thin with all this by now?

285Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Mon Sep 14 2020, 18:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I keep checking this thread to see if they’ve gone tits up yet.

When is that likely to be? Just so I can set a reminder to check again then.

286Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 16 2020, 00:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Telephone Q&A With Gerald Krasner Pt 3

The third meeting with Gerald Krasner took place this evening, Tuesday 15/09/20.

Below is a report of what was said, on the record, from a telephone conversation that lasted 27 minutes.

Progress with bids – I’ve never met with any Saudis, just fake news, I am not down to one bidder by any means, I’ve got three, possibly four bids, all at nearly the same stage. These are actual bids and there are another four interested parties, one of which I spoke with in Spain, but that lasted around seven minutes as they didn’t even know what they were buying.

The bidders are people who have done a lot of due diligence know exactly what they’ve got to do, talking with their lawyers, we’re at that stage. But it’s slow progress, I don’t expect any announcements this week. If it changes we’ll put it on the website.

With regards to the new bidders, it’s the nature of the beast, people coming in at the last minute, we only had one bidder early, they went when we got relegated, then I had to sort out the Yeung debt, £25 million, nobody wanted to touch us with that. That was going to cost another £6 million @25p in the £. That delayed serious bidding, we got a lot of interest but that delayed serious bidding until August. None of this helps of course, just telling you the facts behind it.

You can’t generalise on what may hold up negotiations, they are all different , some are poker faced, whist other sit there with a big smile on their face, you know, you are dealing with human beings who will go at their own time, the worst thing to do is to pressurise them.

Debt – We have got enough money to settle the football debt of £6.4 million, a lot of that has been paid already, that’s why we don’t have a lot of money because we’ve used it to pay off the football debt, which we can’t sell the club with, when we sell the club we still have to pay £1.3 million to save 15 point deduction this season, if we don’t get enough money we won’t be able to pay that, in addition the loss in administration of £3 million+
We’re asking £3m for that stadium, which has got to be worth £10m of anybody’s money, we’re asking half a million for the training ground and half a million for Sharpey’s. None of that is expensive, none of it is overpriced, we’re asking a pound for the football club, that’s definitely cheap, but that £ is only if the rest of it gets sold first.
You can’t cherry pick, it’s a package deal, in fact we’d even let it go without Sharpey’s for £3.5m and we’d sell that separately. The important bit is the stadium with the football club.

Incentive to sell rather than liquidate - None of the legal or administrators cost are being charged to the football club, now when I say no legal costs, the cost of the appeal (EFL) will have to be charged to the football club, our costs and the others are being charged to the property sales.
We owe £1.3m to creditors and the football club owes about £3m in PAYE and VAT, we haven’t hit the end of the quarter yet, this debt is our responsibility. Whoever picks up the club as no liabilities whatsoever to football or creditors except for TUPE, which is taking over the employment rights of people employed at the club. So basically the new owners would be starting with a clean slate.

John Sheridan – The manager should stick with the football and we should stick with the administration and we shouldn’t try to do each others jobs. So if we need a manager we will appoint a manager.

Price for club - We’ve been negotiating for weeks and now we’re at £4m, if we get it wrong we are answerable to the high court.

Dean Watson – He went to the match because he wanted to go, he was asked on Friday if he was going then changed his mind, he drove there and back in the same day and put the petrol in out of his own money.

Transfer Fees - We will do a report, though we won’t break the transfer fees down individually, we will say what we’ve received for players sales and how we’ve spent it, so far we’ve spent quite a bit of it on keeping the players and paying their wages.

Time Scale - Can’t see anything happen this week, it’s Tuesday evening and unless someone moves over night, I don’t think it will be until next week that it moves.
The next step is we could have a signed contract by Friday morning, but the next step is a big one. That is singing that contract and dumping the money in their lawyers account. Then it has to go to the EFL and that takes three weeks, but once I’ve got a signed contract which is subject only to the EFL, we can then start putting pressure on them.
The transfer window shuts on 5th October and once it shuts it’s shut, the buyers know this. The consolidation of the club and making sure they don’t get relegated is what it’s about this season.

When I came in on the 1st July I had 28 days to find £1m or the players would have walked. I haven’t done everything I set out to do, I wanted it sold by the end of July, I’m upset that didn’t happen, but you can’t force someone to sign a contract but what we have done is paid all the wages up to the end of August, done the deal with Mr Yeung, in record time and we finished last season, thanks to the Supporters’ Club. That is remarkable given what I know that has managed to happen. Fans are just going to have to be patient, I’m not going to be forced into doing something we’ll all regret later on.

The figures have to balance.

https://progresswithunity.blogspot.com/2020/09/telephone-q-with-gerald-krasner-pt-3.html?m=1

287Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 16 2020, 11:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Macclesfield's gone bust!

Macclesfield Town FC wound up in High Court over debts exceeding £500,000

Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.

In addition, a solicitor for John Askey said the former Macclesfield manager was owed £173,000 and a financial lender was also owed the same sum.

The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.

The petition, which had been adjourned for a 12th time last week, began in January 2019 and was scheduled to be heard again on Wednesday after Alkadhi claimed that a sale to Robert Benwell was at an advanced stage.

Benwell, who previously tried to buy Bury, was not mentioned in court on Wednesday by Alkadhi's lawyer, who asked for a further eight weeks to allow a sale to go through.

The court was told that Alkadhi had made a late offer to pay an initial £20,000 of the debt owed to HM Revenue & Customs and had made available a screenshot of a bank statement with £1.1m of funds to show that creditors could be paid.

However, Judge Prentis said he would grant a compulsory order having seen no evidence of the club's ability to pay its debts and said that Benwell had also not provided a business plan for the club should he take over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

288Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Wed Sep 16 2020, 20:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wigan in danger of being wound up like Macclesfield, administrators warn

Administrators outline difficulty of finding buyer amid Covid
Offers over £2m wanted for team, stadium and training ground

The administrators trying to find a buyer for Wigan Athletic fear the club could become the next Macclesfield, because of the difficulty of finding willing investors during the pandemic.

Covid-19 was cited by Wigan’s Hong Kong owners as the reason for pulling the plug in the first place, plunging the club into administration and triggering a 12-point deduction that saw them relegated into League One, and Paul Stanley of the corporate recovery specialists Begbies Traynor admits that selling an empty stadium is a much harder task than dealing with a football sale in normal circumstances.

His comments come on a bleak day for lower-league football as Macclesfield, relegated from League Two in August, were wound up after a judge was told the club owe more than £500,000.

“The pandemic certainly isn’t doing us any favours,” Stanley said. “Wigan are similar to Macclesfield in some ways, and Bury and Bolton for that matter. They are all just a bit too close to the big teams in Manchester, and were finding it hard-going financially when their grounds were still open to fans. Macclesfield have just been wound up but they could have been saved had an investor come along with as little as £150,000 or so. The club could have been bought for that price, but evidently no one wanted it.”

Begbies Traynor is asking about £3.3m for Wigan, priced as a package to include stadium, team and a training ground. In normal times that would seem an attractive price for a side that stayed in the Premier League for eight seasons a decade ago and won the FA Cup as recently as 2013, but these are far from normal times and Stanley and his colleagues have not been trampled in the rush.

“That is the lowest possible price to allow sufficient funds to pay the remaining creditors,” Stanley said. “If new buyers are unable to do that there will be a further 15-point deduction under EFL rules. Most buyers would obviously want to avoid that, but if anyone out there is willing to take a 15-point penalty we could probably do a deal for just north of £2m. That is definitely cheap when you consider the club still has a few players who might be worth that much.”

Many Wigan supporters might take issue with that, for despite Stanley’s initial promise that there would be no firesale at the club, more than 10 players have been sold at bargain prices. At least that is what a group calling itself the Wigan Athletic Grievance Society believe. Some 40 or 50 of its members demonstrated outside the Begbies Traynor office in Manchester last Friday, upset by a perceived lack of clarity on the part of the administrators and the suspicion that assets including quality players such as Antonee Robinson, Joe Gelhardt, Nathan Byrne and Sam Morsy had been offloaded on the cheap, in essence amounting to a firesale.

“You have to remember that Wigan have been relegated since I made that first statement,” Stanley said. “As a Championship side they would have had a much better chance of retaining their best players. As a Championship player Robinson alone would have been worth anything between £3m and £6m, but when Wigan went into League One they were powerless to keep him because he had a clause in his contract that said he could leave for £1.9m in the event of relegation.

“We actually got £2m for him from Fulham, which was good going, but what we feel was our major achievement in keeping the club alive was negotiating with the Hong Kong owners to get them to waive the 25% of their original investment that new buyers would have been obliged to fund. We are just pleased that we managed to finish last season and start this one.

“I’m sorry if supporters think the process is taking too long, but it is complicated and this is simply not the best of times to be selling a lower-league club in the Greater Manchester area. What people must not forget is that even when Dave Whelan was still in charge, he was putting in £800,000 a month to keep going.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/16/wigan-in-danger-of-being-wound-up-like-macclesfield-administrators-warn

289Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 17 2020, 19:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Today they've signed a player on loan until January - presumably agreed by the EFL?

Seems a tad optimistic from what the Admin bloke was saying yesterday!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54194682

290Wigan in Administration - Page 15 Empty Re: Wigan in Administration Thu Sep 17 2020, 19:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is there a female version of the TDF, or something similar. And what are the other races the big teams like to win. I think even non sporting people know the TDF, but what comes after it, prestige wise?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum