Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cricket's back!

+8
Growler
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Norpig
Hip Priest
gloswhite
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

141Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jun 28 2022, 09:29

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just to clarify, I didn't say the end of Test cricket, I said the end of Test cricket as we know it, meaning an end to the dour defensive, don't lose type cricket that tends to prevail and which has seen crowds dwindle in many countries across the world.

Will Test cricket from now on be the 'go for the win' type cricket as we've seen in the last three matches, for all countries from now on and thus become popular viewing for all again?

142Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jun 28 2022, 09:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As already mentioned, it will depend on how England perform in the next few test matches starting with India, because if they go in swinging and get skittled the whole approach will have to be reconsidered and at least modified.
Conversely if they batter India, other countries may follow suit.

143Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jun 28 2022, 10:37

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Buttler would fit right in with this new mindset,,,,his recent bludgeoning form in the IPL has been as superlative as Bairstow's Test form.....but let's not exhaust him by asking him to keep wicket as well. Foakes has shown real ability with the gloves and is good enough to bat at 8.

Yorkshire's Harry Brook is good enough to replace Crawley, but not perhaps as an opener. Kent's Compton has been in good form.

144Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jun 28 2022, 11:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agree Okocha, Foakes has deserved to play more tests but we've kept going for Butler or Bairstow who aren't full time keepers

145Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jun 28 2022, 13:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Replacing Crawley with Buttler just for his batting isn't a bad shout if we're going all in.
Not much point in a traditional opener if they're out straight away so might as well promote Root and backfill with big hitters or even just stick Buttler in at the top of the innings.

146Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 11:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

England closing in on an amazing comeback win against India, Root and Bairstow are just incredible.

I cant wait to see the look on Kohli's face when we win, he really is an arrogant prick  Very Happy

147Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 11:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tons apiece for the two Yorkies, Root is undoubtedly our finest ever batsman.

148Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 12:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And they've done it! Chased down 378 which is just ridiculous! I'm loving the Bazball  Very Happy

149Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 12:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It's utterly amazing really!

I guess up to now a lot has been dependant on Root and/or Bairstow's form, but what joy it is to watch.

Long may it continue!

150Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 12:43

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

In the words of 10CC, I don't like cricket.....I love it!

Extraordinary stuff. Even the openers came good and set the tone for the run-chase. Don't forget Jimmy's part in the victory.....

Got to agree with Norpig about Kohli.....obnoxious on-field behaviour. Only Kyrgios (in tennis) sets a worse example.

151Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 12:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Sluffy wrote:Just to clarify, I didn't say the end of Test cricket, I said the end of Test cricket as we know it, meaning an end to the dour defensive, don't lose type cricket that tends to prevail and which has seen crowds dwindle in many countries across the world.

Will Test cricket from now on be the 'go for the win' type cricket as we've seen in the last three matches, for all countries from now on and thus become popular viewing for all again?

12:39

Are England changing the way Test cricket will be played forever?

This summer they have chased down targets of 277, 296 and 299 against New Zealand and now 378 against India.

And they made them all look so easy.

Will a team ever declare against them again?! And yes, I realise how ridiculous that sounds. But that's just how ridiculously good they have been.

12:47

Deep Dasgupta
Former India wicketkeeper on BBC Test Match Special

I hope England get more success playing like this and it will encourage others to play similar.

It isn't hard to get players and resources to play this approach because of T20 cricket, but it boils down to how much success England have playing like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/59013236

Cool

152Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 05 2022, 16:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think that the difference in the psychology between the England team that had struggled against India in the first 4 tests and had only won 1 in the previous 17 and the team that has dominated for the last 5 weeks is phenomenal.
Always knew that an almost full strength India would be a far greater challenge than the Kiwis - and genuinely thought we'd been found out when Broad went for a world record 35 in an over - but it all came together beautifully in the end.

153Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Wed Jul 06 2022, 01:15

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Took advantage of the 3rd consecutive free day 5 in a row so haven't seen the TV coverage yet. Taped it and will watch it tomorrow morning. Like Norpig and Okocha I'm really looking forward to seeing some great in depth coverage of Kohli's ugly, arrogant, childish mush as we polish off the final 119 runs needed with no bother whatsoever..

154Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Jul 08 2022, 00:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T20 v India
India score at just under 10 and over to set England a target of 198
Then England produce a spectacular top order batting collapse including captain Buttler out first ball and after that there was no chance - all out 50 short.

A trouncing.

155Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Jul 08 2022, 09:19

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Please can we have some of our international players back representing Lancashire as the final stages of county competitions draw near......Don't worry about The Hundred, though....

156Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Jul 08 2022, 09:23

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:T20 v India
India score at just under 10 and over to set England a target of 198
Then England produce a spectacular top order batting collapse including captain Buttler out first ball and after that there was no chance - all out 50 short.

A trouncing.
To be fair, the ball that got Buttler out was unplayable......but it's madness to ask him to keep wicket, then open the batting and have enough energy to captain the side as well.

157Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sat Jul 09 2022, 17:06

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bit concerned about yet another Lancastrian excelling in an England shirt.....this time 34 year-old Richard Gleeson, who's overcome any number of injuries to force himself back into international recognition. 
Will we have any players left for Lancs' run-in to the crunch climax to the County season?

158Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Tue Jul 12 2022, 23:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's weird. England take the short game format into the test arena and excel.

Then they get battered in the T20 and threw all their wickets away in today's 1st ODI setting a paltry target of 110 all out which India's openers knocked off easily without loss.

Possibly the most one-sided ODI match I've ever seen.

Doesn't stack up and Bazball clearly doesn't work in it's natural environment.

159Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Wed Jul 13 2022, 08:48

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

On this occasion, trying to attack when the ball was iimmediately seaming, swinging and lifting was folly. Some temperance needed when the conditions demand it.

160Cricket's back! - Page 8 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Wed Jul 13 2022, 23:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A little bit of cricket history today, Keaton Jennings in scoring 318 for Lancashire at Southport became the highest ever scorer for Lancashire in a home game since the county Championship started in 1890, a 132 years ago!

He is only the sixth person ever to score a triple hundred for Lancashire in its history!

County Championship: 318 for Keaton Jennings as Lancashire forge big lead over Somerset

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62148784

:clap:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum