Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ashburner Street was bustling when the funfair came to Bolton

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ashburner Street was bustling when the funfair came to Bolton 11636814

This wonderful photograph from the archives really does have so much of interest in it.

Taken in 1956 it shows the fairground and the junction of Ashburner Street and Black Horse Street complete with giant helter skelter and various merry-go-rounds and stalls.

In the background is Moor Lane and the looming presence of the gas works.

But there is much more to enjoy if you study it from the horse and cart approaching the road junction and a little further ahead a man pushing a cart, possibly belonging to the market.

Then there’s the trolley bus heading towards us and some great cars of the era.

The photograph was taken in January, hence the fact that everyone is wrapped up well.

Look out for the very interested baby in his or her pram on the right of the picture who appears to be looking straight at the Evening News photographer.

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Apart from the trolley busses I remember all of that, the fair on Moor Lane, the horse and carts and hand carts (usually used though used by rag and bone men than being mainstream at the time I remember them from) and the big prams and 'vintage' cars, even the gas works!

How times change!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Having trouble getting my bearings here - am I right in thinking that photo is taken from the steps of the Odeon?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Having trouble getting my bearings here - am I right in thinking that photo is taken from the steps of the Odeon?

Yes.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's another view of Ashburner street from 1946, looking toward Newport Street.
Ashburner Street was bustling when the funfair came to Bolton 46227910

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I have fond memories of my father taking me to the fair at Christmas/New year.

Loved the black peas and the atmosphere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum