Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's your favourite soup?

+9
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
Hip Priest
Sluffy
boltonbonce
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1What's your favourite soup? Empty What's your favourite soup? Mon Aug 03 2020, 23:45

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Long time since we had one of these off the wall type threads but for tea this evening I had a bowl of pea and ham soup, it was delicious and brought back some very old memories.

When I was a very young boy I remember going to my grandma's, which I really, really didn't like because she was old school - children should be seen and not heard type - and spoke so broadly I couldn't even understand her - true story.

She must have been born when Queen Victoria was on the thrown judging by the dates of when my dad's older siblings were born.

Anyway she used to make home made pea soup that was so thick that you could stand your spoon up in it - literally - and I did, often!

Tbh I hated it, it was for far to strong for me as a child but I do remember by dad and my eldest brother absolutely loving it!

Anyway it's always stuck in my mind for some reason and perhaps I like it now more for the memory it brings more than the taste but I really did enjoy tonight's serving.

So what's your favourite soup, is it something exotic, do you make it yourself or is it one of the standards like chicken, or tomato?

2What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Mon Aug 03 2020, 23:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Now you're talking, Sluffy.
Always loved pea soup, but I could only ever get it in packet form. I know Knorr did one, and there used to be Chef's square soups, but that's going back a bit.

Lately I've developed a taste for tomato soup, having hated it as a kid, but I'll happily eat Mushroom, lentil, potato and leek or celery.
Mum still likes to make her own home made soup, which is delicious. She puts barley in it, which is always a plus for me. She can always tempt a visit with the promise of soup.

3What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 00:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Always called anything with barley in a broth.

My mam used to cook stuff like that with meat (lamb chops I have in mind but I'm probably wrong) with vegetables and barley in it and again my dad and eldest brother absolutely loved it.

Again, it wasn't for me, I didn't like the bones in it and my mam god bless her used to cook me something else instead.

Such happy days nearly a lifetime away now.

Brought a tear to my eye just by remembering it and typing this.

Nostalgia eh!

4What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 00:14

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I love soup, always have done and will dip my bread soldiers in virtually any soup going. Favourites are Stilton & Broccoli, Mulligatawny, Pea & Ham, Lentil, Mushroom, Chicken,Five Bean,virtually anything in fact. Special shout out goes to Heinz cream of Tomato with thick, fresh granary bread on a cold winters day after getting home from the match..

5What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 00:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're certainly right about the broth. But I loved barley so much she started putting it in soup. As a kid I was still a meat eater, so broth was pretty much a staple.
Soup from a tin will never taste as good. Like you Sluffy, I find the memories  come flooding back.
We had very little in a material sense, so why do I look back and think I've lost something precious.
Happy days.

6What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 00:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Always called anything with barley in a broth.

My mam used to cook stuff like that with meat (lamb chops I have in mind but I'm probably wrong) with vegetables and barley in it and again my dad and eldest brother absolutely loved it.

Again, it wasn't for me, I didn't like the bones in it and my mam god bless her used to cook me something else instead.

Thick pea and ham soup ideally made with a hock is indeed the breakfast of champions but surely you must have enjoyed barley and other pulses in stews? Loads of different stews. Cowheel and barley with bay leaf, peppercorns etc made a glutinous carrot-coating blob that was the nectar of the Gods IMHO. Bones, bits, juice and barley - you knew you'd had a proper dinner.

7What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 01:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Always called anything with barley in a broth.

Thick pea and ham soup ideally made with a hock is indeed the breakfast of champions but surely you must have enjoyed barley and other pulses in stews? Loads of different stews. Cowheel and barley with bay leaf, peppercorns etc made a glutinous carrot-coating blob that was the nectar of the Gods IMHO. Bones, bits, juice and barley - you knew you'd had a proper dinner.

Bay leaf and peppercorns????

You certainly didn't come from round my way - in fact people used to make nettle soup, that was all we could afford back then, can't say I ever had it though.

I didn't say I didn't like the barley, I said I didn't like the bones from the meat. they sort of broke up somehow and you always seem to have a sliver of bone in every mouthful you had. In fact an empty plate was always put on the centre of the table for us all to put our bones on.

I didn't mind cowheel and dumplings so much as you could see the bones in that and my favourite used to be tripe and mash in a kind of milky sauce but we never had anything as pretentious of bay leaf and peppercorn where I came from - we simply couldn't afford such things.

We were poor, really poor, everybody was but we didn't know any different my dad kept a roof over our head and food on the table and my mam kept us clean and healthy and everybody looked after everybody else.

The world's changed a lot since then and I've done really well from it but it's lost a few things along the way somehow and isn't quite as happy and innocent as it used to be.

I'm not stupid, I know it wasn't perfect back then either - we'd not long since come out of a world war and a holocaust but it's become more impersonal and more angrier to me now somehow - your vice social media certainly doesn't help in that respect.

Anyway you can't put the genie back in the bottle and the world is how it is but it's good to sit back and remember, to reflect on those you love and loved you, who are no longer there and remember the warmth and comfort you felt back then.

We move on though, tomorrows another day.

8What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 07:40

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mulligatawny for me, no nostalgia behind it, just like the taste of it

9What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 08:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pea and ham was always my favourite, my great Aunty used to make it when i was a kid and it was homemade with proper big bits of ham hock in it, happy memories!

As HP said Tomato soup on a cold day is great as well. 

Nat is going to love this thread  Very Happy

10What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hip Priest wrote:I love soup, always have done and will dip my bread soldiers in virtually any soup going. Favourites are Stilton & Broccoli, Mulligatawny, Pea & Ham, Lentil, Mushroom, Chicken,Five Bean,virtually anything in fact. Special shout out goes to Heinz cream of Tomato with thick, fresh granary bread on a cold winters day after getting home from the match..

Not my favourite but you are absolutely right about Heinz tomato soup. Smile

Hard to choose a favourite when there are so many good ones available.

I never order soup as a starter in restaurants though as I find it too filling.

11What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Carrot and coriander for me would be my number one followed by leak and potato, broccoli and stilton.

When I was a kid, my dad managed to get a pallet load of chicken soup for peanuts due to a manufacturing fault on the can and it was split up and given around the family.

Every weekend when all the kids stayed over at the grand parents house the bloody tins came out for lunch.

The look on everyone's faces when the catering size tins with no label came out was priceless.

I have to say that I have never had it since.

12What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't seem to get real pea soup any more. The stuff you can get in a can usually has mint in it. Pea and ham is easy enough, but that's of no use to a veggie.

13What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I always buy those cook in the oven crusty cobs to go with my soup and it has to be proper salted butter on it for dipping.

14What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

You certainly didn't come from round my way - in fact people used to make nettle soup, that was all we could afford back then, can't say I ever had it though.

I didn't say I didn't like the barley, I said I didn't like the bones from the meat.  they sort of broke up somehow and you always seem to have a sliver of bone in every mouthful you had.  In fact an empty plate was always put on the centre of the table for us all to put our bones on.

I didn't mind cowheel and dumplings so much as you could see the bones in that and my favourite used to be tripe and mash in a kind of milky sauce but we never had anything as pretentious of bay leaf and peppercorn where I came from - we simply couldn't afford such things.

Bay leaves are free and peppercorns cost peanuts. You'll be telling me you didn't have salt either next.

15What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 11:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This could turn into a soup version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. Very Happy

16What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 12:02

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Come on Nat, whats your favourite soup? I know you can't wait to contribute to such an important topic  Very Happy

17What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 12:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Come on Nat, whats your favourite soup? I know you can't wait to contribute to such an important topic  Very Happy
Probably depends on what Meals On Wheels sends.

18What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 12:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I didn't say I didn't like the barley, I said I didn't like the bones from the meat.  they sort of broke up somehow and you always seem to have a sliver of bone in every mouthful you had.  In fact an empty plate was always put on the centre of the table for us all to put our bones on.

Bay leaves are free and peppercorns cost peanuts. You'll be telling me you didn't have salt either next.

Bay leaves certainly weren't free where I lived and there were certainly no money for fancies like peppercorns, peanuts or not.

Clearly you don't even begin to comprehend what poverty I (and many, many others) came from.

We had a roof over our heads and were clean, that was about the sum of it.

Good for you if you wasn't born in to it.

Hope you enjoyed your peppercorns growing up, clearly they've made you into the man you are today.

19What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 13:24

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Come on Nat, whats your favourite soup? I know you can't wait to contribute to such an important topic  Very Happy

What's your favourite soup? 9k=

20What's your favourite soup? Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 13:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Bay leaves certainly weren't free where I lived 
They literally grow on trees.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum