Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret bank account.

+2
Sluffy
wanderlust
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Secret bank account. Empty Secret bank account. Sat Aug 08 2020, 09:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone got one? That account where you can spend what you like on the sort of rubbish that doesn't go down too well with the rest of the family.
My mate has. He doesn't even feel guilty about? But should he?
I don't think I could do it.

2Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Sat Aug 08 2020, 11:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I had one, sort of.

When my daughter was born I opened an account in her name and made a monthly order to put money into it with the intention of giving her a start in life when I thought she might be mature enough to use it wisely.

I probably thought when I started the saving up that I'd give it to her on her 18th or maybe her 21st birthdays but she wasn't mature enough at 18 and enjoying university life at 21 so thought I'd keep it going for a while longer - that was the plan anyway.

When she had finished uni and done a years traveling around the world she decided to settle down a bit and start her work career.  Jobs however weren't as plentiful had she hoped and she ended up doing a few short term contracts for a while.

At the end of one of them she applied to the taxman for a refund of overpaid tax that was deducted from her and got a bit of a shock that the taxman wanted to know what interest she had earned on this 'secret' bank account she knew nothing about!

When the cat was out of the bag it was the time to give her access to the money which as far as I know she hasn't partied away - up to now anyway.

Just goes to show though the access to knowledge HMRC has at their disposal - big brother and all that!

Last edited by Sluffy on Sat Aug 08 2020, 12:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistakes)

3Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Sat Aug 08 2020, 11:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think you, as a dad, took pains to provide financial help for your daughter when she was likely to need it most. A great thing to do.
Sadly, my mate uses his for selfish purposes, and I can't help thinking he's asking for trouble if his secret gets out. He only told me out of boastfulness after buying an expensive watch.
Mind you, I wouldn't put it past his wife to have a secret account as well. It's not exactly a marriage based on trust.

4Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Sat Aug 08 2020, 13:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have a few but there's not much point these days as they were created to circulate money into current accounts that paid interest e.g. Santander 123 account (originally 3%) and First Direct etc. These are accounts that you have to pay in a certain amount every month and they gave you interest on money that would just be sitting in a current account anyway so I set up a circle so that they paid into each other. When it was going well I was getting decent interest but now it's almost pointless.

5Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 08:32

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Me and Mrs Pig don't have a joint account, she pays money into my account to help cover all the bills. After that it's all mine and Mrs Pig is the same, i have no idea how much money she has and she has no idea on how much i have.

6Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 14:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Me and Mrs Pig don't have a joint account, she pays money into my account to help cover all the bills. After that it's all mine and Mrs Pig is the same, i have no idea how much money she has and she has no idea on how much i have.
We have a joint account that we both pay into but other than that we've never discussed each other's money as we only met 20 years ago and had lives before that. I suspect she has a lot more dosh than me though Smile

7Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 16:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
We have a joint account that we both pay into but other than that we've never discussed each other's money as we only met 20 years ago and had lives before that. I suspect she has a lot more dosh than me though Smile
 I know for definite that Mrs Pig has more money than me as we had a lottery win a few months ago (29K) and it went straight in her bank account and not mine  Very Happy

8Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 16:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
 I know for definite that Mrs Pig has more money than me as we had a lottery win a few months ago (29K) and it went straight in her bank account and not mine  Very Happy

Luck you!

Hope when this virus stuff is over you, the wife and kids can get to enjoy some of it - Disney Land, Florida, is a good place to go if you haven't been before - the kids will love it and you and your wife too!

9Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 16:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It'll be spent on house things at this rate! We are having new windows and doors and need a few other jobs doing but hopefully we'll have some left to treat the kids and ourselves Very Happy

10Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 16:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:It'll be spent on house things at this rate! We are having new windows and doors and need a few other jobs doing but hopefully we'll have some left to treat the kids and ourselves Very Happy
Invest in some quality slippers. Your feet will thank you.

11Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 20:50

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My wife and I have never had separate accounts, and we've been married for 46 years. We were both doing well, or we were both broke.

12Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 22:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

You lucky fucker!

Best I have done is £3.40 on the Euro Millions! Very Happy

13Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Mon Aug 10 2020, 22:53

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Me and Mrs Pig don't have a joint account, she pays money into my account to help cover all the bills. After that it's all mine and Mrs Pig is the same, i have no idea how much money she has and she has no idea on how much i have.

I don't understand this. Is there trust issues? Are you both actually married?

I was always brought up on the fact that whatever money we brought into the house was it.

We do have seperate accounts between me and the wife and she has some money in hers but we use mine for convienience.

I have been a bit lazy with adding her to my account but I don't hide anything away.

14Secret bank account. Empty Re: Secret bank account. Tue Aug 11 2020, 07:55

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nothing like that KP just manage our own money. She pays in money to my account to cover all the bills as i have a million direct debits set up so was just easier than opening another account.

We are free to spend whats left on what we want. I spend mine on music, beer and trainers and she spends hers on gin  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum