Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt on display of unity after Harrogate win

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Relief was plain to see and hear on Saturday as Wanderers finally put the brakes on what had been a worrying start in League Two.

Ian Evatt did not enjoy being associated with dismal statistics, such as being the first Bolton boss to lose his first five competitive games, or that until 4.45pm that afternoon in Doncaster, the club resided in the lowest placing in its long history.

Celebrations at the final whistle showed just what it meant to put a win on the board, as did a show of camaraderie in the dressing room, where staff and players joined in a huddle to underline what would be expected from here on in.

Being able to enjoy a beer and reflect on three points was a pleasant change of pace for Evatt but the backslapping ended on Monday morning at the training ground in preparation for another hard week, which starts with an EFL Trophy group game at Shrewsbury.

“I was content more than happy with the performance,” Evatt told The Bolton News. “I understand there is a lot more than has to come and we need to play better than we did at Harrogate, moving forwards.

“The most important thing was to get a result, and we deserved one. It gives us a good platform for this month to go on a decent run.

“Results govern everything. You can be as positive as you want, trust in the process as much as you want, but you need something on a Saturday to show for it, especially when the fans are not there to see it and give them some confidence that the work we are doing in the background is correct.

“Anyone who knows the game knows when you have got a completely new squad it will take time, as much as we think we can get results now. I always said we’d do better as the season went on, and I still stand by that comment.

“The win will do wonders for the confidence levels for supporters and for the players. When the goal went in for Doyler on Saturday you could see the lift it gave them.”

The post-match huddle was in stark contrast to the angry scenes which had marked defeat against Newport the previous weekend – but Evatt felt the act of clearing the air has given Wanderers a chance to begin again.

“I am not a big fan of doing things for show,” he said. “That was a private moment for us, staff, players, to say ‘this is the start now’.

“We had all been through the mill a bit, so let’s come strong now. It’s a platform, let’s go again.

“You can take Tuesday out of the agenda a bit because there are six more league games to put points on the board now this month. I want as many as we can.”

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum