Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 0-1 Palace

+17
JonnyRandom
BoltonTillIDie
Lofty_Love
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
gloswhite
Keegan
rammywhite
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
terenceanne
jayjay23
Numpty 28723
MartinBWFC
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

41Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sat Sep 29 2012, 23:24

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

JayJay23's match report. As usual I will just write down what comes out. Hopefully it will mostly make sense and be to the benefit of the other people here.

Within the opening couple of minutes Palace had 2 decent openings. Bogdan saved one by pushing it wide for a corner. It was a decent effort. Bolton's general first half play left an awful lot to be desired imho. Palace should have gone in 1-0 up at the break but they missed a header from 6 yards out. It was the clearest chance of the whole game. Bolton did threaten a couple of times in the opening 45 but there was no end product - some sort of chance involving Eagles and KDavies is the best that I can recall but I couldn't tell what happened due to my awful seat position in the crowd. Will have to move. Crystal Palace also had a few other chances which resulted in Bogdan saves in the first half, I can only vaguely recall (my memory is poor). The main feeling I had as I stood at the urine trough at half time was a slight stinging sensation - not really- the main feeling was one of boredom and numbness. All over the park we looked pretty disjointed, passing poor, movement poor, everything poor.

Second half. We started a little more brightly and looked 5 times better than we did in the first half (we were not amazing, just doing better than the first 45). We made some nice passes at times. etained the ball a little better in spells and also looked the more likely to score. Coyle's substitutions of Petrov and Sordell were greeted roundly with applause and, in parts, standing ovations. But maybe Coyle was right not to have been picking them afterall because, to be honest (and as much as I hate to say it), although there was a slight buzz in the ground when Petrov picked up the ball he didn't really achieve much. But then again he simply hasn't had the game time. I suppose he was at least a partial threat. Mark Davies was marginally better in central midfield than on the right. CYL also did not really get up to any sort of useful gear either during his stint.

Bolton relied too heavily on the long ball especially in the first half but resorted to it a lot less in the second half. I think Bogdan may even have responded to the fans who were begging for him to play it wide to the full backs. He tried it once part way into the second half and it worked a charm, as soon as he rolled it out the crowed cheered (pretty much the loudest of the day) and we set off on one of our better moves of the day. After that minor success Bogdan opted for the full backs 70% of the time much to the delight of most supporters including myself. And it did result in a slightly more exciting atmosphere and a more engaging period of play. Bolton were looking the better team and the more likely to win (hence the positive attacking changes) until Knight allegedly fouled their man in the box. The resulting penalty sort of killed us and as you know that decision proved key in terms of the result.

Zat Knight played up front for the rest of the game and looked more effective than KD in the air - in fact we should stick him up there more often, he really did win everything. Mark Davies had another good effort at goal and I think was unlucky not to score - it was decent play.

My overall verdict on the game is that something needs to be done about how disjointed we look and how scrappy we are. I think a lot of that is the thinking that a punt towards Davies is a realistic option for attacking play - and it really is not. I would be interested to see if the team mentality would change if that option was removed. Having said that KD was one of the better performers from a bad bunch.

42Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sat Sep 29 2012, 23:45

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's amazing what a 2-1 victory can do. Today's performance was as bad as any at the Reebok but because it followed on from an away win, it provoked much less anger in the crowd. It's going to be really difficult for them to get the home fans on their side on Tuesday night.

43Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 00:00

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

When the fixtures got released I had the Leeds at home game down as out most difficult home game and to some extent any game that far into the season, so if that turns out to be the case god help coyle at full time.

Leeds have sold their allocation so a packed away stand for teh first time this season, it's going to be interesting to see what the atmosphere from the home fans is like.

44Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 01:09

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It wasn't on Tv and when I saw that we gave a penalty away, thanks to SSN with sound off, my immediate thought was that it inolved Knight. Low and behold yes he was involved!!!!! How many more times - we do not need this clueless prick in our squad - same goes for Coyle!

45Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 01:12

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I had a good view of the penalty decision at the game, and thought it looked stonewall. After seeing it again on TV, it still looks stonewall.

Obviously Clueless doesn't think so.

46Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 09:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:thanks to SSN with sound off

Thanks for that vital piece of info.

47Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 11:17

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

it was vital as I hand't a clue as to what happened and needed just in case I was questioned about it, normally by you or LH!

48Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 11:20

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

71, you don't need to indulge in defensive writing anymore, LH seems to have scarpered, and you know that whatever you say Nat will turn it around Rolling Eyes

49Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 11:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Largehat sent me the following PM:

Natasha, I cannot continue losing arguments to you so have decided to retire from Bolton Nuts. Your sublime wit combined with your extensive knowledge of BWFC is too much for me. Plus, I might be a little bit in love with you as well.

50Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 12:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:Largehat sent me the following PM:

Natasha, I cannot continue losing arguments to you so have decided to retire from Bolton Nuts. Your sublime wit combined with your extensive knowledge of BWFC is too much for me. Plus, I might be a little bit in love with you as well.

Only a little bit in love with you?

51Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 13:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was a definite pen, Knight was too slow and cumbersome to get anywhere near Zaha, stuck his leg in and obviously the lad was going to go over.

52Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 13:54

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Oh dear, oh dear, it just gets worse.

I've heard a few people saying that we've got one of the best squads in this division - what load of bollocks.

You need at least three good strikers competing for places. We don't have ONE decent goalscorer on the books so how can we expect to get anything out of games when that's the case - It's scandalous really.

Clutching at straws, the only positive was that Warnock didn't look too bad.

53Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only Warnock and Spearing came out of yesterdays game with any credit and they are both loan players. What does that say about our current squad ?

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:07; edited 1 time in total

54Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:06

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Optimism was up after the second half performance at the Owls. Had we turned the corner? Had we hell! - One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. `Couldn't score in a brothel' springs to mind, never mind the penalty excuses.

On the brighter side Warnock our new left back actually looks like a left back.

Am quickly becoming a bore once again observing we do not defend the posts at corners, we will come unstuck!

55Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:07

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It says that they've been there long enough to reflect the manager , his views and his tactics. In other words, its time he pissed off.

56Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree about Warnock. I can see him making that L/B spot his own. Good in the tackle and solid positional play.

As for the dilemma up front I just can't see why Coyle perseveres with both Davies and NGog up front ? They are both too similar in style. Good at holding up the ball but lacking that extra yard to make them out and out goalscorers.

Surely a better combination would be pairing Davies with Sordell or Afobe up front ? Or
alternatively NGog with Sordell or Afobe ?

57Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:14

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Why not Sodell and Afobe ? If nothing else they will have a competition between themselves to see who can score the most. We bloody well know that thought would be a complete stranger to the current attack.

58Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:29

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We could do a Barcelona and play without any strikers at all. It probably wouldn't make any difference. Laughing

59Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:36

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

On reflection we already do play without any strikers Shocked

60Bolton 0-1 Palace - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Palace Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:48

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

While of the two, Davies has ostensibly been the bigger performer, Ngog fills me with buckets more confidence. He's faster, he's more mobile, he's more ambitious in terms of what he does with the ball at his feet - Davies looks relieved to complete a basic pass. In any case, he's only been back 4 games and been (unjustly) dragged off in each. I hope he gets more time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum