Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Peter Allis

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1RIP Peter Allis Empty RIP Peter Allis Sun Dec 06 2020, 21:50

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

One of the truly great and never to be forgotten commentators. RIP Peter and thanks for all the memories.

2RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Sun Dec 06 2020, 22:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, certainly was one of the greatest commentators and watching golf on TV will never be the same again for me.

RIP.

3RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Sun Dec 06 2020, 23:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The voice of golf. Leisurely, humorous, knowledgeable, and deliciously impish. Always sounded like he was having a glorious time, and probably was.
Never needed hyperbole, and knew his sport backwards. A few modern commentators could take note.
RIP.

4RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 13:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I enjoyed his dulcet tones even though he did ramble a bit especially in his later years.

5RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 14:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I enjoyed his dulcet tones even though he did ramble a bit especially in his later years.
The rambling added to my enjoyment. Bit like Blowers on TMS with his bus fetish.

6RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 16:38

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He was great....until he was commentating on ladies golf.

I wouldn't particularly want to cast aspersions now that we are marking his demise, but his attitudes towards females were very much of the non-pc variety, judging by today's standards. 

He was very much old-school, especially as regards women's place in clubs and clubhouses, whilst at the same time being unable to hide his pleasure (or displeasure) at the female form. He wouldn't have dreamt of commenting in a similar way on males.

He'd have been right at home with MCC members' views about women and whether they should ever be allowed into the Long Room or the members' paviion at Lords. Finally women have been granted equality in cricketing circles.

Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey etc have found to their cost that attitudes have to change with the times.

7RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 19:51

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

okocha wrote:He was great....until he was commentating on ladies golf.

I wouldn't particularly want to cast aspersions now that we are marking his demise, but his attitudes towards females were very much of the non-pc variety, judging by today's standards. 

He was very much old-school, especially as regards women's place in clubs and clubhouses, whilst at the same time being unable to hide his pleasure (or displeasure) at the female form. He wouldn't have dreamt of commenting in a similar way on males.

He'd have been right at home with MCC members' views about women and whether they should ever be allowed into the Long Room or the members' paviion at Lords. Finally women have been granted equality in cricketing circles.

Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey etc have found to their cost that attitudes have to change with the times.
I'm sorry but anyone who equates Peter Allis with Harvey Weinstein must have just landed from the planet Zog.

8RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 21:12

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No, you're the one making a false connection by failing to read what's actually written

I'm certainly not likening Alliss to Weinstein or to Spacey in any way!

Last edited by okocha on Mon Dec 07 2020, 23:25; edited 1 time in total

9RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 21:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:No, you're the one making a false connection by failing to read what's actually written

Well to be fair, what you've written doesn't make sense as you seem to claim you have an issue with Peter Allis in respect of his views/behaviour towards women then liken him to Kevin Spacey who seemed to have a peccadillo towards young men, although he doesn't seem to have been found guilty of anything.

Therefore I can't see the similarity to how you link Peter Allis to Kevin Spacey (who is clearly not even attracted to women) and further, to link Allis (who might view women from an older generational standpoint - but without any harm or malice intended) to serial rapist and woman manipulator such as Weinstein is utterly bizarre to say the least.

10RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 21:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just to nip this in the bud, I think Okocha is making the point that Epstein and Spacey got away with things for a long time, because it was, for many in that orbit, the norm.
Things have changed, and the world has moved on. Allis wasn't my cup of tea with regard to his political and social ideas, but I very much admired his abilities.

11RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 22:09

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Just to nip this in the bud, I think Okocha is making the point that Epstein and Spacey got away with things for a long time, because it was, for many in that orbit, the norm.
Things have changed, and the world has moved on. Allis wasn't my cup of tea with regard to his political and social ideas, but I very much admired his abilities.
Come off it, Boncey. Slimeballs are slimeballs. Always have been and always will be. The world has moved on in that the internet has given birdbrains a bigger platform and more contact with other birdbrains.

12RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 22:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Just to nip this in the bud, I think Okocha is making the point that Epstein and Spacey got away with things for a long time, because it was, for many in that orbit, the norm.

Even if the account was attempting to say that, it still is fairly meaningless in the sense that there will always be a 'norm' if you will where the more powerful take advantage of those willing to be somewhat compliant.

That's how it is, that's why for example we, the west, turn a blind eye to Saudi Arabia's human rights record - they even killed Khaashoggi on the orders of the Crown Prince and we, the west, still carried on buying their oil.

Allis would have be removed from the public eye pronto if he was tainted with any sort of misogyny/sexism and ostracised in public in a similar fashion as David Starkey was!

Look at the utterly embarrassing situation when more or less the whole of the cabinet went public to support Cummings breaking the rules on his trip to Barnard Castle and only Van-Tam had the balls to tell the truth.

Power corrupts, always has done, always will but the worst that anyone could level at Allis was that he was just a little old fashion in his ways and not that he abused his position in any way.

13RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Mon Dec 07 2020, 23:14

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Woah! All I wrote was that society's attitudes move on with time, and some of the things Alliss said on air would be frowned on today, much as MCC members' views were found to need to change....and did!

In no way whatsoever was I linking Alliss with Spacey or Weinstein in his behaviour or comments. Poles apart! 

Boncey clearly understood the general point I was making about attitudes changing over time, usually for the better, as we become more civilised.

14RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 09:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Woah! All I wrote was that society's attitudes move on with time, and some of the things Alliss said on air would be frowned on today, much as MCC members' views were found to need to change....and did!

In no way whatsoever was I linking Alliss with Spacey or Weinstein in his behaviour or comments. Poles apart! 

Boncey clearly understood the general point I was making about attitudes changing over time, usually for the better, as we become more civilised.
I've had an epiphany! Sluffy is the fake account. It all makes sense now.  Very Happy

15RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 10:04

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
I've had an epiphany! Sluffy is the fake account. It all makes sense now.  Very Happy
The epiphanyfulness is terrific.

16RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 10:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
The epiphanyfulness is terrific.
Thanks Bob. Just setting off for Damascus. I've made sandwiches. (cheese).

17RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 11:10

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Thanks Bob. Just setting off for Damascus. I've made sandwiches. (cheese).
If you're going via Brussels, Boncey, don't go stopping off at one of those men only places. Its not just embarrassing but you could do yourself an injury shinning down drainpipes when past your best before date.

18RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 11:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
If you're going via Brussels, Boncey, don't go stopping off at one of those men only places. Its not just embarrassing but you could do yourself an injury shinning down drainpipes when past your best before date.
Don't worry about me on that score. I used to be a pole dancer. I only gave up when the chafing became a problem. I got into poles during my training for the fire brigade, a job I had to leave after falling into a blanket.

19RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 13:59

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Don't worry about me on that score. I used to be a pole dancer. I only gave up when the chafing became a problem. I got into poles during my training for the fire brigade, a job I had to leave after falling into a blanket.
Did you ever think about becoming an MEP, Boncey? A man of your many talents could have put them all to good use in Brusselsland.

20RIP Peter Allis Empty Re: RIP Peter Allis Tue Dec 08 2020, 14:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Did you ever think about becoming an MEP, Boncey? A man of your many talents could have put them all to good use in Brusselsland.
Not really Bob. Any man who can get lost in M&S is in serious danger when it comes to navigating the European Parliament. 
Wherever I go, I make sure I have a plentiful supply of Kendal Mint Cake.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum