Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Integrity

+9
gloswhite
okocha
y2johnny
Banks of the Croal
Cajunboy
Norpig
finlaymcdanger
wanderlust
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 15:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last time I went to Morecambe was to have a look at Sambo's Grave. Had some great times up there on holiday.

22Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 15:59

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ah yes, Sunderland point.

Really interesting place.

23Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:01

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bo's Grave

There is a poignant reminder of Lancashire's involvement in the slave trade at Sunderland Point - Sambo's Grave. 

Integrity - Page 2 09d9e2e13403fe6c84c592c3d5f884ebbe2827a7
Sambo's grave is a memorial to a young, black slave who is thought to have arrived in 1736 at the port with his master.
He was born in Africa and taken first to the West Indies as a slave before being brought to Lancaster by his master.
He was taken ill and died near a local inn at Sunderland Point.
He was buried in an unmarked grave but in 1795 a schoolteacher - Rev Watson - raised money to erect a memorial to Sambo and penned the elegy on the grave.
Integrity - Page 2 9b602dfe75aed4172f57fc487bc07305c0f54654

The epitaph reads:

Full sixty years the angry winter's wave
Has thundering dashed this bleak and barren shore
Since Sambo's head laid in this lonely grave
Lies still and ne'er will hear their turmoil more.
Full many a sandbird chirps upon the sod,
And many a moonlight elfin round him trips
Full many a summer's sunbeam warms the clod
And many a teeming cloud upon him drips.
But still he sleeps - till the awakening sounds,
Of the Archangel's trump new life impart,
Then the Great Judge his approbation founds,
Not on man's colour but his worth of heart.

Last edited by Cajunboy on Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:03; edited 1 time in total

24Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:01

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Last time I went to Morecambe was to have a look at Sambo's Grave. Had some great times up there on holiday.
I've never heard of that so looked it up. I thought you were being very un-PC for a minute Boncey  Very Happy

25Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:05

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

If you should ever go to Sunderland point double check the tide times as the road gets cut off at high tide.

26Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Ah yes, Sunderland point.

Really interesting place.
Yes. People pull a face when I mention Morecambe, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Bumped into Thora Hird once, and what a lovely lady.

27Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:07

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sunderland is unique in the United Kingdom as being the only community to be on the mainland and yet dependent upon tidal access. The only vehicular access to the village is via a single-track road from Overton 1.5 miles (2.4 km) away crossing a tidal marsh. The road is covered by water at every high tide.

28Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:10

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sunderland Point's more interesting than who paid for the Reebok Stadium and financed the club for the best part of twenty years and how the club's being financed now, is it?

Actually the history of Sunderland Point is very interesting as is the history of Barrow Bridge. What's the connection?

29Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

No disrespect to anyone, but it may jog a memory for the old farts on here, I remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum, but I also remember an equally good one, Called Sambo. It was a black gum, and it was in a yellow wrapper. Anyone else remember it?

30Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:25

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:No disrespect to anyone, but it may jog a memory for the old farts on here, I remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum, but I also remember an equally good one, Called Sambo. It was a black gum, and it was in a yellow wrapper. Anyone else remember it?
Yes, I remember bubblegum called Sambo.

2 for a 1p?

Can't remember.

31Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:No disrespect to anyone, but it may jog a memory for the old farts on here, I remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum, but I also remember an equally good one, Called Sambo. It was a black gum, and it was in a yellow wrapper. Anyone else remember it?
I do. What I remember more were the chewy sweets called BlackJacks. Used to get four for a penny off the penny tray.

32Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
I do. What I remember more were the chewy sweets called BlackJacks. Used to get four for a penny off the penny tray.
Along with Swizzles or Parma Violets.

33Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 16:38

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Yes, I remember the four for a penny selection including the Blackjacks.

34Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 17:47

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Good chippy/cafe in Morecambe called Bay Cafe also some good places nearby for a visit Carnforth railway station. Warton Crag, Silverdale another good chippy/cafe in Arnside, Grange some times call at Kikby Lonsdale also like The River Lune.

35Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Tue Feb 09 2021, 19:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Morecambe illuminations in Happy Mount Park was a wonderland for small kids in the '50's and 60's and in many ways better than Blackpool illuminations.
I believe it then became Blobbyland and died a death.
I think they still have music conventions at Frontierland - C&W and Punk - or at least they did have until not so long ago.
And they held WOMAD there once - I fondly remember the Bulgarian open throat singer.

36Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Thu Feb 11 2021, 08:57

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

okocha wrote:Sadly, recent developments have caused me to lose faith in the integrity of the site.

I'm not going to be soppy about things or refuse to join in but will probably limit my posts.

I wish I could explain my reasons fully, but I respect the fact that pms should remain private. My partial withdrawal follows a resignation and some admissions that have been made, both privately and openly enough on the main board.

I'm still fully behind the Whites and continue to value the contributions of very many of the members of the site. I enjoy reading the honest, friendly, passionate and amusing posts of fellow Boltonians. Most members are decent, kind and reasonable in their observations.
I'm not going to be soppy about things? If only that were true it would be real progress.

37Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Thu Feb 11 2021, 09:16

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Funny how the person most people have a problem with is the one having a sly dig at a long standing member who always posts rational and well thought out posts.

I don't believe for one second nat/xmiles/okocha are the same person.  That would take a lot of work and very little time for anything else.

It's getting beyond a joke now.  Either proof needs to be posted or it's put to bed.

Hopefully Nat will come back and okocha and xmiles stay!  

If not, it really will be the end of nuts I reckon.

38Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Thu Feb 11 2021, 09:19

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:Funny how the person most people have a problem with is the one having a sly dig at a long standing member who always posts rational and well thought out posts.

I don't believe for one second nat/xmiles/okocha are the same person.  That would take a lot of
Rational and well thought out' is your opinion, pal. Wetter than a wet weekend in Westmorland's mine.

But you are all pretty much birds of a feather aren't you? Isn't that why you flock together?

39Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Thu Feb 11 2021, 09:27

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Fortunately, regardless of what you believe, your opinion is just that. And obviously not a popular one. 

But you've got so many views on the vince thread......reminds me of a circus act in America, the freak show was the most popular attraction in its day.  But like that, I think you've had yours

40Integrity - Page 2 Empty Re: Integrity Thu Feb 11 2021, 09:33

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:Fortunately, regardless of what you believe, your opinion is just that. And obviously not a popular one. 

But you've got so many views on the vince thread......reminds me of a circus act in America, the freak show was the most popular attraction in its day.  But like that, I think you've had yours
If I was popular with twerps like you and your ilk, I'd be worried I'd missed summat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum