Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt says 'it's now or never' for promotion push in League Two

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Time is running out for Wanderers to prove they are promotion worthy – but a defiant Ian Evatt is not yet ready to give up the ghost.

Seventh-placed Morecambe come to the University of Bolton Stadium tonight some 11 points ahead of the Whites in the League Two table.

Wanderers still theoretically have 63 points to play for but with Evatt predicting his side will need another 15 wins to stand a chance of playing League One football next season, the margin for error is extraordinarily slim.

Counting in Bolton’s favour is a newfound feeling of optimism inside the camp that the squad is actually up to the job. And though many argue that Bolton have left it too late for a run to the top, the manager is determined to remain optimistic.

“We have got to get it together now if we’re going to make a push to where we want to be,” he said. “Following on from the Leyton Orient game and what I’m seeing in training and the spirit the lads are in, I’m excited and I’m confident again and that’s important.

“The lads feel that as well within each other and from me.

“We’re not going to fear anybody. Morecambe have had a fantastic season so far, they’re punching above their weight, no doubt, and Derek Adams is doing an amazing job, but we have to start putting things together and making this a really difficult place to come.

“We’ve seen signs of that of late - the Cheltenham game, I thought we were excellent, and we beat Leyton Orient comfortably last Saturday - so let’s go into Tuesday, attack the game and try and win it.”

Wanderers have played to an empty stadium through the entirely of this season, a factor which Evatt feels has counted significantly against his team.

But for the first time, the manager has admitted there may have been an upside to not playing under the watchful gaze of an expectant fanbase.

“We more than most need our supporters,” Evatt said. “Sharon (Brittan) and the board need them because this is a huge, huge club with massive costs.

“Probably for the benefit of the playing side – and this is me being really honest – it has been a blessing that the supporters have not been able to watch us because we just haven’t performed well enough. They don’t deserve to see that.

“But it has also given us some time to get our house in order. We really needed to get our act together on and off the pitch and nail down what we are actually trying to do. Hopefully by the time the supporters come in we’re all systems go and producing results. I do feel now we have the tools to do that.”

Asked if he has discussed the potential of Wanderers not getting promotion this season, Evatt said both he and the club’s owners have made provisional plans if they are to spend another year in the fourth tier.

“We are always discussing both scenarios,” he said. “Fortunately for this club, for me and for the fans out there, this board doesn’t rely heavily on promotion, it isn’t the be-all and end-all. They haven’t gambled, they have made this club sustainable again and it’s a massive credit to them.

“They have done a wonderful job in a short space of time and that isn’t just because they are my bosses, this club was a mess. And now it isn’t.

“I think we still have a huge opportunity this season, I firmly believe that, but we haven’t got time on our hands anymore. We need to do it now.

“Let’s get this game against Morecambe won and hopefully that will lead to other wins.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum