Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1 Morecambe 1 - Ian Evatt gives his post-match reaction

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt says Wanderers will appeal the red card handed to Marcus Maddison in the 1-1 draw against Morecambe.

The Bolton boss felt his debutant was harshly dealt with by referee Oliver Langford, who issued a straight red to the winger for a challenge on John O’Sullivan.

Wanderers were cruising after Eoin Doyle had given them a first-half lead but Evatt felt the reaction from the Morecambe players played a part in his player seeing red.

“We were in complete control,” he said. “We were completely dominating the game.

“We’ve brought the other lads on to win us the game and I just think we’ve been on the rough end of a decision again.

“Madders has probably been sent off on reputation more than anything else. He’s clearly won the ball one-footed, the lad’s gone for him, and his momentum took him through.

“What is even more disappointing is the way other teams surround the refs and the way they behave.

“Referees have to be stronger, they have to be. They can’t allow teams to be like that. How many times second half are they just feeling contact and falling over, jumping on the floor, getting free kicks and fouls?

“I don’t want to have to coach my team to do that, I don’t want my team to be like that but I’m going to have to start telling them because we don’t get any decisions.

“It’s extremely frustrating but positives are that we didn’t lose. If you can’t win, don’t lose, and on the rough end of that, we’ve done well to stay in it and could have nicked it at the end. It’s disappointing that we conceded from a set piece but that’s this level, that’s this league and that’s what it does to you.”

Maddison tweeted an apology after the game alongside a replay of the incident – but maintains he got to the ball before the Morecambe player.

“I can only apologise to the boys and fans, I’m not a malicious player and the fact I’ve got the ball first and he follows through on me baffles me more,” he said.

“It has cost us two points in a game we were comfortable in and I take the blame for that. Sorry again.”

Evatt also felt the red card was a game-changer and after seeing Brad Lyons head home an equaliser with seven minutes remaining felt two points had been unfairly snatched.

“I think we would have won and we would have won it comfortably as well,” said the Bolton boss. “We’re a talented group and Morecambe are no mugs, they’re doing well in this division and I thought we completely dictated the tempo of the game and the speed of the game.

“We had all the ball, but probably too many transitions in the first 20 minutes and we weren’t reliable enough, but then we got a grip of it, scored a very good goal and then second half, we were cruising really.

“For me it was just a matter of time before we went on to get a second and third, but decisions completely changed how the game was going.”

Asked if he would appeal Maddison’s red, Evatt added: “I think so. I’ve had the benefit of watching it back. I’ve clearly seen Madders get the ball with his left foot. The lad’s gone into him the same really and then his momentum has taken him through.

“It is not a red card. I feel like the ref was pressured because their players surrounded the referee and maybe he’s been sent off on reputation, I don’t know.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum