Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Isgrove hopes Wanderers can give him leg-up for Wales call-up

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lloyd Isgrove believes Wanderers can help him get back into the frame for Wales by competing at the top of League One next season.

The winger has one full cap to his name but is desperate to show he can play at that level once again.

Isgrove was promoted from Wales Under-21s in 2013 for a game against Belgium but was an unused substitute, finally getting his shot as a Southampton player on loan to Barnsley in three years later.

The cap against Northern Ireland was earned after a season challenging at the top end of League One, and he hopes the same can happen again at Bolton this season.

“My time at Barnsley when I was playing week in, week out, I got the call-up and made my international debut but I only won the one cap,” he told The Bolton News.

“If I am playing in League One and doing really well again then I’ll definitely be looking to do that, for sure, and I still see myself playing in the Championship at least. I’d love to do that with this club. My ambitions are still massively high.

“Obviously there could be a change of manager ahead (for Wales) after the Euros, so if I can get back into that fold then it would be amazing for me.

“There will be a rebuild, I’m sure, and I think Bolton will be in the eyeline next season, so if I am performing well every week, I see no reason why I can’t get back in.

“I am just really looking forward to it.”

Isgrove is by no means alone in wanting to return to the Welsh fold – with Gethin Jones, MJ Williams, Declan John and Josh Sheehan all thinking along similar lines if they can have a successful campaign.

There is plenty of League One experience in the Bolton dressing room but for those who have not yet sampled third tier football, Isgrove believes it should be an easy transition.

“There are a few differences, really,” he said. “The pace and tempo is a bit higher, even though games last season were a bit different because we didn’t have supporters.

“I also think teams tend to play more football and it isn’t so direct. I think that will suit us because we know what kind of football we played last season and we know what kind of quality we have with the likes of Doyler and Sarce.

“Next season, League One is probably looking the strongest it has for a while and we want to be right up there in the mix with the big boys.

“I am sure we can. I have seen what is there in the dressing room and I have been up there and seen what you need, so I know we can be up there challenging.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum