Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Not acceptable' - Ian Evatt unhappy with minority after Accrington defeat

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Not acceptable' - Ian Evatt unhappy with minority after Accrington defeat 13290969

Ian Evatt has clarified that a “minority” of fans crossed the line by aiming personal abuse at him and a number of Wanderers players during Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Accrington.

The Bolton boss has appealed for calm after some stormy scenes at half time and full time as the sides left the pitch to walk back down the tunnel.

The club had sold out their allocation of 2,599 tickets for the game and Whites fans accounted for 60 per cent of the attendance at the Wham Stadium.

But displeasure voiced by pockets of fans went too far, says Evatt, with his opposite number John Coleman also referencing the ugly reaction in his post-match press conference.

Asked to explain what had upset him, Evatt told The Bolton News: “I think some people - and again I must emphasise, it is a very small minority - take over from just general criticism, which is fine.

“Criticism is absolutely fine if you keep it about football, but when it becomes personal, especially aimed towards younger players, it can be damaging. But that’s the nature of the game.

“It is not acceptable, but we know that happens in football, and as I said, I must stress that I thought our fans were excellent today.

“They were fantastic from minute one, they backed us, they supported the lads, and we tried our very best, it just wasn’t good enough.”

Evatt felt there was improvement in Bolton’s performance compared with the previous defeat at Fleetwood but still watched his side record a club record-equalling sixth game without scoring away from home.

“I thought there was loads more positives today than there was on Tuesday,” he said. “No it wasn’t the result we wanted but there were loads more positives today than there were on Tuesday and I must say the biggest positives for me was young Adam (Senior) taking his opportunity really well and young George (Thomason) who is trying his very best and blossoming as a very young footballer.”

Evatt’s stance on the reaction from fans was echoed by Accrington boss John Coleman, who said he had been shocked by the half-time reaction from sections of the travelling support.

Tommy Leigh had put the home side ahead on 20 minutes and Wanderers had wasted a handful of decent opportunities, raising the levels of frustration in the crowd.

“One of the things that really surprised me today was the reaction of the Bolton fans at half time,” he told Stanley’s official website.

“Bolton had pinned us back, made a couple of chances, so to see them shouting at the manager and their players as they came off. They got a promotion last year and have had some unbelievable results this season, and I think it’s totally unwarranted.

“It surprised me because they are a smashing bunch of fans. The noise they made was exhilarating and they should use that energy to galvanise the team because they were feeding off it in the first half.

“The manager doesn’t deserve that at half time coming off, particularly how well they have done getting promoted last year.

“People should have a reality check sometimes.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I seem to remember a previous Bolton manager having a pop at the fans. He was sacked soon afterwards.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I seem to remember a previous Bolton manager having a pop at the fans. He was sacked soon afterwards.
TBF he wasn't having a pop at "the fans" - he was pointing out that a small section of idiots who seem to think that our newly promoted side should be playing like Brazil despite everything we've gone through, made personally abusive comments directed at him and some of the younger players.

Evatt has had nothing but praise for the fans - to the point of being gushing at times - so I think he has every right to tell a few tossers who clearly have no understanding of football and if anything are damaging the club to wind their scrawny necks in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum