Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BWFC - Champions of Europe!

+4
Sluffy
karlypants
Norpig
wanderlust
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 00:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't get too excited but apparently last October Bolton Wanderers won the European trophy for ..... over 60s walking football Smile

There was an article in the Bolton News about it, but I only just heard about it via an old mate.

Two of the lads who played in the same team as me back in the day were in the Wanderers side who played Olympique Marseille, Feyenoord, FC Den Haag amongst  others in the group stages, overcame Genk in the QF, Nottingham Florist in the semis and a team from ...erm..Birmingham in the final.

Neither of the lads were particularly quick when we were young so I imagine walking football would suit them Smile One of them had a wicked left foot though and the lads done well.

2BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 11:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've been asked to play walking football but i've only just turned 50 so feel i'm far too young, Saying that though, last time i played normal football i was breathing out my arse after 10 minutes  Very Happy

3BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 11:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Walking football does look like fun to me.

4BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 11:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I've been asked to play walking football but i've only just turned 50 so feel i'm far too young, Saying that though, last time i played normal football i was breathing out my arse after 10 minutes  Very Happy
Smile I'm like that twice a week, but I reckon it's good for me just to push myself now and then and I'll carry on as long as I can. Dreading the day when I have to pack it in, but the day will inevitably come and walking football will be there waiting for me.....like death.

5BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 12:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:I've been asked to play walking football but i've only just turned 50 so feel i'm far too young, Saying that though, last time i played normal football i was breathing out my arse after 10 minutes  Very Happy
Smile I'm like that twice a week, but I reckon it's good for me just to push myself now and then and I'll carry on as long as I can. Dreading the day when I have to pack it in, but the day will inevitably come and walking football will be there waiting for me.....like death.

Hahaha!!!

You crack me up, you really do.

Seventy year old bloke claiming to compete and even outperform young men FIRTY years younger than himself at football is unbelievable anyway and now claiming he does it TWICE a week...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fwiw I found a picture of this over 60 side your two mates who you played with are in (looks as though they had a few well under 60 in that side?) but imagine what the blokes in their twenties and thirties (even in their forties) would think when a seventy year old Wanderlust turns up for the other side in a 'proper' (non-walking football) game?

In fact think what his side would think if Wanderlust really did turn up for your side!!!

:rofl:

Dream on YOU mentalist!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 12:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not so fast. I'm 69 tomorrow and make mincemeat out of people more than half my age. I've walked around 20 miles a day since I was 17, although I'm down to 10 these days due to family commitments, but, it seems, younger people have become seduced by the car, and public transport, and can't hack it on two legs.
My question 'Anyone fancy a walk?' is met with stony silence. They know the score.
Keep at it Lusty.

7BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 13:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Not so fast. I'm 69 tomorrow and make mincemeat out of people more than half my age. I've walked around 20 miles a day since I was 17, although I'm down to 10 these days due to family commitments, but, it seems, younger people have become seduced by the car, and public transport, and can't hack it on two legs.
My question 'Anyone fancy a walk?' is met with stony silence. They know the score.
Keep at it Lusty.
I'm gonna as long as possible. I have criteria - I'll pack it in if I'm the worst player of the pitch two games in a row. Wasn't an issue until a few weeks back when I had an absolute stinker and was shitting myself in the next game, but fortunately I played OK and have done since.  But the time will come.

Have a great birthday you old fart Smile

8BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 13:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Not so fast. I'm 69 tomorrow and make mincemeat out of people more than half my age. I've walked around 20 miles a day since I was 17, although I'm down to 10 these days due to family commitments, but, it seems, younger people have become seduced by the car, and public transport, and can't hack it on two legs.
Keep at it Lusty.

I played completive football well into my fifties but your body simply can't cope with all the knocks and bangs you receive over the years.

There is a reason why nobody plays competitive football with people years and years younger then them (as Wanderlust claims he does - and TWICE a week at that!!!) and similarly why nobody plays against an old fart in his seventies if you are in your teens, twenties, thirties or even in their forties - because it is pointless and ruins a game.

If he'd claimed he played walking football like his contemporaries, or that he plays with a group of old blokes similar age to him, then that I could accept that but he doesn't - he lies instead.

Either that or he's like Brian Glover in KES, where the kids have no choice but to put up with him - not that they choose to.

And yes, I'd go with a walk with you, I do 6 miles daily although I don't go out if it is pissing down, I'm not that daft.

9BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 14:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I played completive football well into my fifties but your body simply can't cope with all the knocks and bangs you receive over the years.

There is a reason why nobody plays competitive football with people years and years younger then them (as Wanderlust claims he does - and TWICE a week at that!!!) and similarly why nobody plays against an old fart in his seventies if you are in your teens, twenties, thirties or even in their forties - because it is pointless and ruins a game.

If he'd claimed he played walking football like his contemporaries, or that he plays with a group of old blokes similar age to him, then that I could accept that but he doesn't - he lies instead.

Either that or he's like Brian Glover in KES, where the kids have no choice but to put up with him - not that they choose to.

And yes, I'd go with a walk with you, I do 6 miles daily although I don't go out if it is pissing down, I'm not that daft.
I love walking in the rain, but I am, of course, pretty daft.  6 miles is a good walk, Sluffy. Don't know about you, but it keeps me healthy of mind as much as anything else.
Many people are tied to the house, like my old mum, so make the most of it while you can.

10BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 15:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

You sad, pathetic, jealous little man.

I'm happy for you that you found your football completive so why can't you be happy for me?

11BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 15:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:And yes, I'd go with a walk with you, I do 6 miles daily although I don't go out if it is pissing down, I'm not that daft.
I love walking in the rain, but I am, of course, pretty daft.  6 miles is a good walk, Sluffy. Don't know about you, but it keeps me healthy of mind as much as anything else.
Many people are tied to the house, like my old mum, so make the most of it while you can.

I've always been a walker, been brought up that way I guess.  Even in my school days when I had a free bus pass, more often than not I would walk it at least into town, sometimes even going all the way if I had plenty of time to do so.

I tried to bring my daughter up as a walker too but although she does do a bit, she will still jump in the car most times if she can.

Like you I find exercise, including walking, healthy in a mental way as well as a physical one, I'm not sure why, must be something chemical happening in your brain or something, but it also for me at least gets me out of the house and gives me other things to see and think about, also even meeting new people and striking up a bit of a chat, stroking a dog, or even being helpful on occasions where I've met people who needed help with directions or seemed in some way distressed.

You obviously get the idiots who cycle or scooter on the pavements at 100 miles per hour, expecting you to dive out of their way but generally I tend to find most people respectful, pleasant and often nod or smile to you as they go pass.

I've never understood as a driver how people act totally different behind a wheel than what they do when they are out walking???

Maybe that analogy works for Wanderlust in that he's a different character away from the keyboard but sadly I don't believe he is.

It most take its toll on you if like your mum you can't get out much. I expect I'll still walk around the block at least for as long as I'm able to - may even do it in the rain too!

12BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 15:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:You sad, pathetic, jealous little man.

I'm happy for you that you found your football completive so why can't you be happy for me?

Jealous of you - hahahaha!!!!

You've surpassed yourself this time!

I'm still giggling as I type this.

Mate, it is nothing personal, I just don't like liars and cheats, never have, never will.

If you feel the need to lie on here - where quite frankly there's absolutely no point in doing so - well that's up to you - and we all KNOW you have.

I don't believe for one moment you as a seventy year old bloke plays competitive football against fit young men roughly A QUARTER of your age - it's simply not physically possible - and you claim to do it TWICE a week!!!

As I've said if you claimed you did walking football like your mates do, or have a gentle kick around for say 30 minutes with blokes of similar age then I get it and can accept that maybe you do but to claim you are the equal or better than young physically fit men in their prime, in competitive sport then we all know you are simply bullshitting.

Christ most of us on here are a similar age to you and KNOW ourselves that no matter how fit we've kept ourselves we simply no longer can compete with blokes half our age, let alone over 50 years younger as you've claimed.

I don't know why you feel the need to lie - nobody believes you - it isn't just me you know (or maybe you are so deluded that you don't?).  I'm simply the one who calls you out, the others simply can't be bothered or are your mates on here and simply keep quiet out of some sort of misguided loyalty to you or something.

If you want to tell tall tales that's up to you but no one is buying them and I mean no one.

13BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 16:31

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I gave up at 42 due to recurring injuries and because I’d find myself looking at the space I should be running into but was still stood where I’d just passed the ball from. I just didn’t enjoy it as much without the physical ability to play at the level I had previously. Still miss playing now after having played 3 evening per week for over 25ish years.

I originally moved to New York back in ‘98 and remember our British CEO recruiting a 5-a-side team to play in a Chelsea Piers league. “We’ll be great - American’s are rubbish at football” he said, only to quickly find out the opposite was the case. The league was full of Central and South American kids who danced around us for fun so we had to adapt or game fast. It was a totally different game and ultimately made me a far better player. Fun times.

14BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 16:32

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

How does walking football work? Can you run at all or do you have to do the wobbly quick walk?

15BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 16:38

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it’s more the need not to criticise someone on more or less every post they make.  It’s like you say, a small football forum.  You act like a bully on here in regards to wander, it’s not nice to see and you seem oblivious to it. Just move on, you don’t need to call out everything he writes, we are all grown ups and can make our own decisions on whether to believe him or not.

16BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 17:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

finlaymcdanger wrote:I gave up at 42 due to recurring injuries and because I’d find myself looking at the space I should be running into but was still stood where I’d just passed the ball from. I just didn’t enjoy it as much without the physical ability to play at the level I had previously. Still miss playing now after having played 3 evening per week for over 25ish years.

I originally moved to New York back in ‘98 and remember our British CEO recruiting a 5-a-side team to play in a Chelsea Piers league. “We’ll be great - American’s are rubbish at football” he said, only to quickly find out the opposite was the case. The league was full of Central and South American kids who danced around us for fun so we had to adapt or game fast. It was a totally different game and ultimately made me a far better player. Fun times.

Good post and underlines what I've been saying, no one, not even Wanderlust, can defy time and in getting older and less physically able to do what we once could.

I don't begrudge anyone playing football, I even occasionally go and have little kick about with my neighbours young son on the grass outside where I live, as the bigger boys clearly think he is burden to have playing with them and the little girls aren't interested in kicking a ball with him.  

I've tried to teach him how to kick and pass a ball and nag him to use his left foot as he'll never improve it without starting to practice now whilst he is young.  It won't be long before he's big enough and knows the basics well enough to start to play with those bigger boys - and that is what it is all about really.

A mate of mine, who is ten years younger than me plays walking football for a local team and has asked me a couple of times to come on down with him but it isn't for me, I used to have a big engine and based my game on power and energy, so the close control and technical ability that is demanded of walking football is a bit too late in life for me to learn and develop in order to be as good as I would wish to be.

I just don't see the point in lying which is the top and bottom of it.

The biggest thing I simple don't get with Wanderlust is that he clearly hates lies and deceit himself as evidence numerous times with his comments about Johnson and many recent failings of the Tory government BUT thinks nothing of lying and being dishonest himself on here!!!

He's as bad as those he daily condemns - does he not see that - or does he thinks it is ok for him to do so but nobody else???

Either way he lacks the honesty and integrity that he condemns (with some justification) that Johnson and others have frequently failed to display yet thinks nothing of deliberately and regularly doing the exact same things himself???

..dunno..

17BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 17:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I think it’s more the need not to criticise someone on more or less every post they make.  It’s like you say, a small football forum.  You act like a bully on here in regards to wander, it’s not nice to see and you seem oblivious to it. Just move on, you don’t need to call out everything he writes, we are all grown ups and can make our own decisions on whether to believe him or not.

I'm a bully am I???

If you say so...

I call out lies - I don't see any need for it amongst 'friends' - which our little community should be all about - after all we share the same passion about our club which is the basis of why we are all here - isn't it?

Wanderlust clearly hates lies and deceit from Johnson and the Tory government - I simply call out his lies and deceit.

If that makes me a bully for standing up for the truth and calling out his fake news and hypocrisy, then I guess I must be then.

Do you believe he's playing competitive football twice a week against young men in their prime 50 years younger than him...?

I clearly don't.

18BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 17:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

finlaymcdanger wrote:How does walking football work? Can you run at all or do you have to do the wobbly quick walk?

Walking Football Rules

3. No running or jogging, with or without the ball.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

19BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 17:27

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

Good post and underlines what I've been saying, no one, not even Wanderlust, can defy time and in getting older and less physically able to do what we once could.

I don't begrudge anyone playing football, I even occasionally go and have little kick about with my neighbours young son on the grass outside where I live, as the bigger boys clearly think he is burden to have playing with them and the little girls aren't interested in kicking a ball with him.  

I've tried to teach him how to kick and pass a ball and nag him to use his left foot as he'll never improve it without starting to practice now whilst he is young.  It won't be long before he's big enough and knows the basics well enough to start to play with those bigger boys - and that is what it is all about really.

A mate of mine, who is ten years younger than me plays walking football for a local team and has asked me a couple of times to come on down with him but it isn't for me, I used to have a big engine and based my game on power and energy, so the close control and technical ability that is demanded of walking football is a bit too late in life for me to learn and develop in order to be as good as I would wish to be.

I just don't see the point in lying which is the top and bottom of it.

The biggest thing I simple don't get with Wanderlust is that he clearly hates lies and deceit himself as evidence numerous times with his comments about Johnson and many recent failings of the Tory government BUT thinks nothing of lying and being dishonest himself on here!!!

He's as bad as those he daily condemns - does he not see that - or does he thinks it is ok for him to do so but nobody else???

Either way he lacks the honesty and integrity that he condemns (with some justification) that Johnson and others have frequently failed to display yet thinks nothing of deliberately and regularly doing the exact same things himself???

..dunno..
Yeah but my post was about my personal experience and nothing to do with Lusty. I think you should give him a break too Sluffy. I don’t care if what he says is true or not - it simply doesn’t matter to me.

20BWFC - Champions of Europe! Empty Re: BWFC - Champions of Europe! Thu Apr 21 2022, 18:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

finlaymcdanger wrote:
Yeah but my post was about my personal experience and nothing to do with Lusty. I think you should give him a break too Sluffy. I don’t care if what he says is true or not - it simply doesn’t matter to me.

Thanks for your advice.

The point of my reply to you was really about how time catches up to us all and we can no longer do what we did - as you evidenced yourself above - and which I'm sure most if not all of us on here are very much aware of that ourselves.

That being said it must equally be true that someone in or around seventy years of age must be telling porkies that they can still run rings around grown men 50 years there junior - not once but twice a week!!!

I then posed a rhetorical question as to why someone who clearly does not like being lied to has no hesitation or compunction to tell lies to others on here?

Fair enough if it doesn't bother you, doesn't bother me really except that I'm often having to debunk his lies on many of the threads we get into debates on.

Surely it is better for everyone if lies aren't spouted in the first place?

That's my thinking anyway.

Makes life a whole lot easier and pleasanter for all of us wouldn't it?

It's not even though he's telling a fib or a tale to get a laugh...?

He clearly wants us all to believe he does play competitive football twice a week and betters grown men fifty years younger than himself...

..dunno..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum