Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should football adopt thr 60 minute stop clock?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On average the ball is only in play for 55 minutes in a game of football so rather than encourage time wasting, why not adopt the stop clock?

In October the game between West Ham and Brentford had only 41 minutes of playing time - surely fans deserve better value for money?

Article here

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They should stop the clock when the ball goes out of play or for injuries and also take away the responsibilty for managing it from the ref. It would stop all the time wasting feigning injury and the like.

Why pick 60 minutes though? It still needs to be a 90 minute game

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:They should stop the clock when the ball goes out of play or for injuries and also take away the responsibilty for managing it from the ref. It would stop all the time wasting feigning injury and the like.

I've said the same for years. They should adopt the Rugby League system, and take timekeeping out of the ref's hands.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:They should stop the clock when the ball goes out of play or for injuries and also take away the responsibilty for managing it from the ref. It would stop all the time wasting feigning injury and the like.

Because they couldn’t manage it - they only play for 50 odd minutes now so 90 would kill them. And it would take nearly 3 hours to complete.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hope we don't go the way of the NFL. An hour long game that drags on for over three, due mainly to ad breaks.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm dreading next season when the 5 subs rule comes in. It's bad enough as it is with 3 subs rule. Teams constantly use it as an excuse to waste time. It's a system that is open to all kinds of abuse and it's so annoying (esp.when you're losing). This rule where players are supposed to walk off at the nearest touchline is never enforced either.
I've also noticed this season in televised PL matches that if a team makes a substitution in time added on then they aren't penalised by further time being added on at the end of the stipulated period. 
I can't believe that some amended form of NFL type timekeeping hasn't been at least considered.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote:I'm dreading next season when the 5 subs rule comes in. It's bad enough as it is with 3 subs rule. Teams constantly use it as an excuse to waste time. It's a system that is open to all kinds of abuse and it's so annoying (esp.when you're losing). This rule where players are supposed to walk off at the nearest touchline is never enforced either.
I've also noticed this season in televised PL matches that if a team makes a substitution in time added on then they aren't penalised by further time being added on at the end of the stipulated period. 
I can't believe that some amended form of NFL type timekeeping hasn't been at least considered.
Quite right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum