Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should gay men be allowed to adopt children?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I don’t want people to think I’m homophobic as I’m really not. However, there is a gay man where I work and he and his partner have adopted a little boy (I think he is about 3 years of age) but I can’t help but think it’s not fair on the kid. We all really need a Mum and a Dad, they are both so important when bringing us up. It doesn’t seem fair to deny a child to have a Mum. But also I feel that a kid who has two Dad’s is going to have it so tough in his high school years, he is going to get some bullying for that. Is it right to put a child in such an environment? I mean even if you’re not homophobic I’m sure no one wants to see two men kissing. 

I think these days there is so much importance placed on being inclusive that far more emphasis is placed on the rights of the gay couple than what is right for the child. 

What do others think?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The important thing is having people who love and will care for you, it doesn't really matter if its 2 men. 2 women, the traditional Mum and Dad or just a single parent.

I grew up with an absent Father, and we never reconciled. I've turned out ok (well i think so!) so its not as crucial as you may think. 

Also it's not that uncommon these days for gay couples to have kids so can't see it causing that much fuss or lead to bullying.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Any child needs to be brought up in a safe and loving environment.

I believe that they also need have both male and female roll models in their formative lives.

But real life these days is not often like that.

As long as the child is loved then surely it is better for them having two 'fathers' or two 'mums' than live in a children's hostel or with multiple foster homes?

That's just my view, maybe the best people to ask are those who have been adopted and also those who haven't and gone through the system in homes and various foster family's.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Mad Dog wrote:I don’t want people to think I’m homophobic as I’m really not. However, there is a gay man where I work and he and his partner have adopted a little boy (I think he is about 3 years of age) but I can’t help but think it’s not fair on the kid. We all really need a Mum and a Dad, they are both so important when bringing us up. It doesn’t seem fair to deny a child to have a Mum. But also I feel that a kid who has two Dad’s is going to have it so tough in his high school years, he is going to get some bullying for that. Is it right to put a child in such an environment? I mean even if you’re not homophobic I’m sure no one wants to see two men kissing. 

I think these days there is so much importance placed on being inclusive that far more emphasis is placed on the rights of the gay couple than what is right for the child. 

What do others think?
Sorry Mad Dog but I completely disagree with you here. What matters is having loving parents, not the gender or sexual preference of those parents. 

A stable, safe home with parents who love the child or children is all that should matter and I am certain that many gay/lesbian or other couples would do a wonderful job of providing that sort of love and support. I think in the 21st century we shouldn't even need to discuss an adult's sexuality as a means of determining whether or not they would be decent parents.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum