Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rivalries

+4
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Conor_Student21
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Rivalries Empty Rivalries Fri Aug 26 2022, 13:43

Conor_Student21

David Ngog
David Ngog

Loughborough University, working in collaboration with UMass (a world-leading sports management university), would love League One fans to take part in our international study and put your views on the worldwide stage.

Link to the study: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?collID=10&grpID=1423 

2Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Aug 26 2022, 13:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes, I am definitely going to click on a link from a brand new poster. What could possibly go wrong?

3Rivalries Empty More information Fri Aug 26 2022, 13:55

Conor_Student21

David Ngog
David Ngog

This is an academic study that I am carrying out while working as an academic researcher at Loughborough University (ranked no. 1 in the world for sport related courses 6 years in a row), this research is part of a wider study (you can see some of the results already found in other leagues here: https://knowrivalry.com/). Our only aim is to help league one fans have their voices heard on an international scale,

If you would like to find out more about the study please contact Dr. Peter Dickenson (https://www.lboro.ac.uk/schools/sport-exercise-health-sciences/people/peter-dickenson/) or have look on the Know Rivalry website (https://knowrivalry.com/).

4Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 09:32

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Our only aim is to help league one fans have their voices heard on an international scale,

I'm open to different interpretations but that's what I'd call Bullshit Studies. Who is paying for it?

5Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 15:38

Conor_Student21

David Ngog
David Ngog

Ten Bobsworth wrote: Our only aim is to help league one fans have their voices heard on an international scale,

I'm open to different interpretations but that's what I'd call Bullshit Studies. Who is paying for it?
The study is funded by leading sports universities around the world. The leg that I am working on is funded by Loughborough University (voted number 1 in the world for sports related subjects), in partnership with the leading University of Massachusetts, to help understand rivalry in English football. 
Our findings will then be taught in various lectures and classes around the world, and we aim to present our findings to all the clubs we gather data on.
If you would like to find out more about the study please contact Dr. Peter Dickenson (https://www.lboro.ac.uk/schools/sport-exercise-health-sciences/people/peter-dickenson/) or have look on the Know Rivalry website (https://knowrivalry.com/).
I hope this helps!

6Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 16:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fwiw this appears to be Peter Dickenson's Linked in profile...

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/peter-dickenson-74550310

He states on his CV that he has been the owner of Ibidem Sports Ltd for the last 11 years.

Ibidem Sports Ltd was struck off NINE YEARS AGO...

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07955737/filing-history

7Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 16:17

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What a friendly bunch we are.

8Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 16:19

Conor_Student21

David Ngog
David Ngog

I've had much worse!!

9Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Thu Sep 01 2022, 16:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:What a friendly bunch we are.

Does it not bother you that apparently someone (Dr Dickensen) is asking for your personal views/information yet clearly isn't too bothered about the accuracy of the information he is putting out about himself into the public domain?

If he can't manage his own personal information why do you believe he will manage the information you give to him/his assistants any better?

Who cares which football team we see as rivals or not - what's the value in collecting such information?

Obviously it means something to someone otherwise they wouldn't be doing it but really I think anybody with a bit of common sense would probably guess rightly that most sports teams rivals are the ones most local to them and/or the ones they usually rival regionally or nationally for sporting success.

Whatever is behind the survey probably has nothing beneficial to offer to the fans of the various sporting clubs surveyed but probably useful in someway to market and monetarise the information harvested from us.

Who are Loughborough's rival's Connor and why is it important that these rivals are identified and known to you. What use will you be putting the information too?

10Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 07:25

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Fwiw this appears to be Peter Dickenson's Linked in profile...

He states on his CV that he has been the owner of Ibidem Sports Ltd for the last 11 years.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07955737/filing-history

He doesn’t actually say that, Sluffy. Ibidem Sports may exist as an unincorporated business.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Fri Sep 02 2022, 09:21; edited 3 times in total

11Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 08:07

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Does it not bother you that apparently someone (Dr Dickensen) is asking for your personal views/information yet clearly isn't too bothered about the accuracy of the information he is putting out about himself into the public domain?

If he can't manage his own personal information why do you believe he will manage the information you give to him/his assistants any better?

Who cares which football team we see as rivals or not - what's the value in collecting such information?

Obviously it means something to someone otherwise they wouldn't be doing it but really I think anybody with a bit of common sense would probably guess rightly that most sports teams rivals are the ones most local to them and/or the ones they usually rival regionally or nationally for sporting success.

Whatever is behind the survey probably has nothing beneficial to offer to the fans of the various sporting clubs surveyed but probably useful in someway to market and monetarise the information harvested from us.

Who are Loughborough's rival's Connor and why is it important that these rivals are identified and known to you.  What use will you be putting the information too?
Rivalries Manwithtinfoilhat

12Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 08:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Fwiw this appears to be Peter Dickenson's Linked in profile...

He doesn’t actually say that, Sluffy. Ibidem Sports may exist as an unincorporated business or activity.

I don't know about that Bob.

It seems clear to me that this was the company of Dr Dickensen and the records show it was struck off nine years ago.

If so my understanding is THAT company is no longer a legal entity.

If he set up a 'replacement' unincorporated in its stead than he can only claim to be the owner of it since 2014 - ie for EIGHT years - and if so that isn't what he's stating on his LinkedIn.

Tbh I'm not really bothered about Dr Dickensen or his company I was just making the point that people are giving freely information to someone they don't know on the internet and doing so not knowing what their information will be used for.

The only information given relates to this Dr Dickensen and a quick search on him throws up a query like the one it has.

I know it is the way of the world to do things like this now and such questioning and answering without a second thought is normal day to day stuff for the vast majority of people who use social media.

I don't doubt there is anything sinister behind what is being asked and how the information will be used but the point I'm making in my tiny way is to make people think first before they give away their personal information and opinions to people they don't know for purposes to be used for reasons they are not freely and openly told about.

I know I waste my time doing things like this but at least I'm trying my best to make people 'look before they leap' in the future.

Up to then if they still do though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook%E2%80%93Cambridge_Analytica_data_scandal

13Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 09:01

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks Sluffy. I agree that its a detail but it doesn't follow that the unincorporated business didn't start until the newly formed company had been struck off.

Anyway Ibidem Sports has got a nice glossy website. Here it is:

http://www.ibidemsports.com/company/management/

Bobsworth hasn't got where he is today by being taken in by nice glossy websites whether produced for Doctor Dickenson or Doctor Holdsworth. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

http://www.sportsshield.co.uk/

14Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 09:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Thanks Sluffy. I agree that its a detail but it doesn't follow that the unincorporated business didn't start until the newly formed company had been struck off.

Whatever the times of there starting both business have to be a separate legal entity to each other in law.

Seems inconceivable to me that you have two business at the same time, both with the same name but incorporate one and not incorporate the other - and trade under the same name with no apparent differentiation between the two business whilst at the same time both business trading together!

And it takes you TWO years to close one of them down???

Loads of red flags to me there!

15Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 10:12

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sorry Sluffy but I'm seeing no red flag there, neither am I seeing two businesses. I'm seeing one business that they thought they might run as a limited company before deciding that that game wasn't worth the candle. It costs next to nothing to set up a company but you will start to incur bigger professional fees if you run a business as a limited company.

If we are talking red flags, its Sports Shield you need to take a closer look at.

An unregulated financial services business advising people where to put their life savings and pensions!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to the main topic though, not only do Bolton supporters have negligible knowledge about the club's finances over the last 25 years but very few understand much about why they sang 'We only hate Man United'.

I do hope that Conor might be listening and learning something.

16Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 11:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Sorry Sluffy but I'm seeing no red flag there, neither am I seeing two businesses. I'm seeing one business that they thought they might run as a limited company before deciding that that game wasn't worth the candle. It costs next to nothing to set up a company but you will start to incur bigger professional fees if you run a business as a limited company.

I agree and that is why I said the first business set up as a limited company and voluntary struck off is legally a separate entity to a second business set up to take the place of it.

Dr Dickenson is therefore not being completely open in stating he is the owner of Ibidem Sports for 11 years.

He's actually been the owner of Ibidem Sports Limited for two years and a separate business Ibidem Sports for the 8 years since he voluntarily struck off (closed) Ibidem Sports Limited.

All petty and somewhat meaningless I agree but nevertheless if the good Doctor is somewhat inaccurate in his own public statement about himself then it doesn't inspire confidence to me at least in a project he seems to be named as the head of, dealing with other peoples information.

At the end of the day the Ibidem Sports website states that basically the information being collected by the likes of young Conor will be used to 'leverage' brands of sports companies and/or their sponsors to the very sports fans answering Conor's question.

Or in simple words the aim of the exercise is not to benefit us sports fans in any way but to manipulate the information we freely give them so that they can specifically target us to sell us things.

Do you feel comfortable doing that Conor?

It wouldn't be something I would want to be doing myself.

17Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 11:23

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jesus Christ the poor lad is probably just trying to finish his studies and has to put up with Waldorf and Stadler lecturing him. If you don't want to fill it in then just ignore it and leave the lad alone  Rolling Eyes

18Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 11:56

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:Jesus Christ the poor lad is probably just trying to finish his studies and has to put up with Waldorf and Stadler lecturing him. If you don't want to fill it in then just ignore it and leave the lad alone  Rolling Eyes
Poor lamb.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Have you been?

19Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 12:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Jesus Christ the poor lad is probably just trying to finish his studies and has to put up with Waldorf and Stadler lecturing him. If you don't want to fill it in then just ignore it and leave the lad alone  Rolling Eyes
My nightmare is working for customer services when one or another of the buggers comes in to dispute a bill. Very Happy
They're on a Jehovah's Witness 'avoid' list.

20Rivalries Empty Re: Rivalries Fri Sep 02 2022, 13:43

Conor_Student21

David Ngog
David Ngog

Sluffy wrote:

I agree and that is why I said the first business set up as a limited company and voluntary struck off is legally a separate entity to a second business set up to take the place of it.

Dr Dickenson is therefore not being completely open in stating he is the owner of Ibidem Sports for 11 years.

He's actually been the owner of Ibidem Sports Limited for two years and a separate business Ibidem Sports for the 8 years since he voluntarily struck off (closed) Ibidem Sports Limited.

All petty and somewhat meaningless I agree but nevertheless if the good Doctor is somewhat inaccurate in his own public statement about himself then it doesn't inspire confidence to me at least in a project he seems to be named as the head of, dealing with other peoples information.

At the end of the day the Ibidem Sports website states that basically the information being collected by the likes of young Conor will be used to 'leverage' brands of sports companies and/or their sponsors to the very sports fans answering Conor's question.

Or in simple words the aim of the exercise is not to benefit us sports fans in any way but to manipulate the information we freely give them so that they can specifically target us to sell us things.

Do you feel comfortable doing that Conor?

It wouldn't be something I would want to be doing myself.
Hi Sluffy and Ten,

I have read an I hope followed everything that has been said, however I am unfamiliar with how companies are run and set up so I will read up on it all a bit more .

However, the overall aim of this study is not commercial in any shape or form, we don't aim to make any money from fans or clubs. This is all funded by the various Universities which are involved, in my case Loughborough University, and therefore purely for academic purposes. In the end all of the data we collect is going to be used to help explain all the various aspects of rivalry in sport around the world. We hope to help clubs by relaying this information to them in an attempt to help them understand their fans perspectives on rivalry. 

So to answer your question, I'm very happy to honoured to be able to be a part of this major international study.

Cheers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum