Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charlton boss Ben Garner's view on Bolton defeat and Conor Bradley opener

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Charlton boss Ben Garner's view on Bolton defeat and Conor Bradley opener 14861796

Charlton boss Ben Garner has called his side’s 3-1 defeat against Wanderers a “reality check”.

The Addicks took an early lead through Scott Fraser but the Whites hit back through Conor Bradley’s equaliser nine minutes later.

Kieran Lee and George Johnston were also on target either side of half-time as Ian Evatt's men secured the three points.

“Disappointed overall,” said Garner. “Obviously, we started the game well and score a really good goal.

“Then for the rest of the first half it just wasn’t us. We didn’t commit to the way we play and what we had worked on all week, with and without the ball, and we conceded two really poor goals.

“Fantastic response second half. I thought the first 20, 25 minutes of the second half, that was us. We had a really good spell, we had some good opportunities.

“Then we concede an equally poor goal third goal, which killed the game off effectively.

“Probably a little reality check of where we are in terms of squad depth and the amount of work we need to do on the training ground.”

Garner’s side had made a positive start to the new campaign, racking up wins against Plymouth Argyle and Derby County in recent weeks.

“Going ahead so early, maybe that changed things a little bit,” he added. “But it is a really good response second half.

“It actually looked like us and what we had worked on. And we got control in the game, which is difficult to do. They are a good side.

“I was speaking to Ian after the game. It has taken him three windows to get this squad and they have got a really strong one now. I think they lost three of four games here last year.

“But to go one up and then concede in the manner that we did completely changed the dynamic of the game.

“Certainly points dropped from that perspective, and we all need to address it and respond in the right way.”

Several Charlton defenders appealed for a handball after Bradley’s goal but it was awarded by referee Tom Reeves.

When asked about the incident, Garner said: “I haven’t seen it back. Whether it was handball or not, I don’t know. I don’t think it was, the fourth official said it wasn’t.

“I thought there was a foul on Charles [Clayden] in the build-up to the first goal. Again, I haven’t seen it back but it looked like he came through the back of Charles to win the ball.

“But we should still recover and do better than what we did. There are no excuses on our point today. The better side won and we have to roll our sleeves up and come back fighting next week.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum