Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson's frank view on Bolton defeat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson's frank view on Bolton defeat 16448559

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson says there are “no excuses” for his side’s 5-0 defeat against Wanderers at London Road.

Dion Charles scored a hat trick for the Whites, with Ricardo Santos also bagging a brace to secure a memorable victory on the road.

Ian Evatt’s men are now up to fourth in the League One table – only behind third-place Ipswich on goal difference.

Ferguson felt his side gave away soft goals and admits he decided to give some players a rest after the fourth goal ahead of their trip to Fleetwood on Tuesday night.

He told the club’s website: “It is a hugely disappointing result, to lose 5-0 at home. You have to look at it that way, it is almost irrelevant how the game felt.

“In saying that, I thought we started the game very well. They have scored with their first attempt on goal and then they have scored I think with the second. I didn’t think there was much wrong in the first half, but you can’t give away goals like that at any level.

“I said to the players, ‘we have got to try and get the next goal’. The start of the second half was so bad that within five minutes the game was over.

“I’ve never been in that position as a manager where I’m actually taking players off to give them a bit of a breather for Tuesday because the game was over.

“I know that might seem a negative thing to say but that is only realistic way of looking at it because at 4-0 the game is done, and then it becomes five.

“An awful day at the office, no excuses. Bolton did what they said they would come and do.”

Two of Charles’ goals came from the penalty spot, and Ferguson refused to place the blame on referee Lee Swabey.

“I’m not going to stand here and blame the referee,” he added. “We have to look at ourselves first. I need to look at myself and then I have to control the players.

“It is a huge disappointment for everyone, for the fans because it was a big turnout and (there was) a lot of anticipation going into the game.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum