Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FAN JURY: Wanderers regulars give verdict on squad rotation and expectations

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As Wanderers dropped out of the top six in League One in the aftermath of defeats at Cheltenham Town and Forest Green, we asked fans for their views on what was happening at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Three Bolton regulars took part in a Facebook Live discussion centred around several topics, two being squad rotation and expectations at this stage of the season.

We have picked out some of the key points which were made as Ian Evatt’s side look to stabilise their form with this weekend’s home game against Barnsley.

Chris Dawson: “I would have taken [sixth at this stage], especially with a game in hand on most. Should we be worried? I think you need to put it into context of last season. There are definite trends in terms of form dips, specifically away. However, they are not Burton-esque in terms of absolute capitulation.

“Have we compromised that free-flowing, goal scoring play for just being a little bit tighter at the back and a bit more static in midfield? That seems to be the case this season. Cheltenham, I would probably compare it to Fleetwood last season. We held out until the 87th minute and it was a lapse in concentration that cost us the game. We are staying in these games.

“While the play was not attractive and the form is not great, we have kept it to 1-0 and I think that is the positive to take from this. For me, Forest Green was worse. Cheltenham offered something but Forest Green, specifically in the second half, did not. We still could not manage to score and that was worrying.”

Will Fairclough: “I think everyone was jumping on the positive bandwagon at the beginning of the season and wanting promotion. We have all got our eyes on the top two or the top six, and history tells you that the smaller teams are the ones you would go after – the Cheltenhams and Forest Greens. It lacked a little bit of passion and desire.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“The biggest concern for me is the away form. I feel confident every time we play at home, but I feel like I see a different team away from home bar the MK Dons performance, where I thought they were excellent. Is it the arena we need to be mindful of? The Accringtons, the Fleetwoods – winning at those places is what gets you promotion.

“But I think we are doing okay. I would have taken sixth. We are more or less on par with where we were last season. But I think the last week – I didn’t think we played particularly well against Lincoln, I thought it was a poor match and we were going through the motions.

“Forest Green was horrible for me. I didn’t feel like we were going to score and take the game to them. In this league you have to be clinical and ruthless, and I don’t think we have that away from home.”

Chris Walsh: “Looking at what happened last week, there is a bit of a worry in where the goals are coming from. But I don’t think it is all doom and gloom. I think we have got to shrug ourselves off. We have got a big game against Barnsley, who are in a decent position at the moment. I don’t think we can take that game lightly, but I am more confident that we are at home this weekend.

“I think a lot of people may look at what Ian Evatt is doing at the moment and think, ‘does he know his best 11?’ In recent seasons, we have had a relatively good starting 11 but for the first time this year, I think we have more than enough talent on the bench to come on and change the game if we need it.

“The problem I think we have got at the minute is we haven’t got a settled 11 because we are doing so much rotation. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but you look at the two games last week. I would have expected us to pick up at least three or four points.

“No-one is guaranteed a starting position but I think you need a solid core, and that hasn’t always been there. We have had to make changes, whether it is through suspensions or injuries. The last couple of weeks we have made three or four changes per game, and I think it has an unsettling factor on the squad.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum