Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lineker Tweet

+6
Ten Bobsworth
Cajunboy
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Whitesince63
boltonbonce
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

61Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Mon Mar 13 2023, 16:17

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Look what's happened to Fox News. Proven liars, and still pushing the lies.

And people are still willing to believe them.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

There's a bigger dimension to Fox News and that is that it is privately owned (Rupert Murdoch's family Trust) and is not impartial, nor attempts to be.

It's target audience is the political right wing voters of the USA and they play to their audience - by confirmation bias material distributing and contorting actual events towards a desired end, for unquestioned consumption from their viewers.

The American constitution's First Amendment is that of 'Freedom of Speech' and that basically is why no one can shut down their 'interpretation' shall we say, of their news and facts.

Do we really want Lineker et al, to start a political war over the BBC - because that's is exactly what happened this weekend - because the Tory Party make no pretence that they dislike the BBC's editorial freedom and imperiality.

If the BBC is 'lost' then fully expect it to be replaced with a right wing news company in its stead.

As for Freedom of Speech - that's enshrined in the American constitution - hardly serves them well does it...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#:~:text=Congress%20shall%20make%20no%20law,for%20a%20redress%20of%20grievances.

There's a lot to be said in having an unwritten constitution such as we have (actually it is more correct to say our Constitution is uncodified) as it allows a degree of flexibility as to how we govern ourselves and having the required checks and balances to prevent abuses taking place - Fox News would never be permitted in this country, in the same way it broadcasts in the USA for instance.

There are negatives too, in that our constitution permits challenges to the government of the day and that's what the like of The Good Law Project /Maugham was using via the courts (Judicial Review's) until they took it miles to far and were simply abusing the system - until the Law Lords basically squashed their little game.

I don't know about you or anyone else but I rather live my days out in a country where there are still enough good people around to govern the country fairly and justly, although that has taken a huge knock with the reprehensible behaviour of Johnson and the abuses of the system that had got severely worse under his (and Cameron's) premierships.

(I should also perhaps include Blair from even further back as well lying about WMD and falsely leading us in to a war!)

The social media zombie army's generated by the likes of Lineker / Maugham and their ilk, will only bring out a stronger reaction from those they attack unfortunately.

We have/had got ourselves in somewhat of a vicious circle - hopefully Rishi and/or Starmer will steer the ship back on course again soon.

Hope so anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Kingdom

62Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Mon Mar 13 2023, 21:53

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

This is a fair representation of the Lineker tweet affair - although I don't share Atkins conclusion.

If he thinks there is a need for the BBC to prove it needs to be impartial in this day and age, then they might as well shut it down and let Fox UK take over the national news instead.

As the saying goes - we get what we deserve.

Anyway - it still is worth a watch -

Ros Atkins on… Gary Lineker and the BBC’s impartiality crisis

63Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Mon Mar 13 2023, 22:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

64Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Tue Mar 14 2023, 09:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think this pretty much sums it up.

Haha! Very Happy

65Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Tue Mar 14 2023, 14:16

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

66Lineker Tweet - Page 4 Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Thu Mar 16 2023, 14:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Lineker thought he had special BBC Twitter agreement - agent
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64976007

Think about that for a moment, then ask yourself how can Lineker be treated 'special' than anyone else and the BBC expect to treat everyone else differently - and still be seen to be impartial?

If it allowed that it couldn't even be acting impartially to it's own employees because some (Lineker) would be treated differently than the rest of them!

I think the word Lineker was looking for was a 'self entitlement'...

Why the 'Entitled' Think Rules Don't Apply to Them

https://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20180102/why-the-entitled-think-rules-dont-apply-to-them

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum