Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Family Holidays 1960s Style

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Family Holidays 1960s Style Sun Mar 19 2023, 17:22

kabetz

David Ngog
David Ngog

Family Holidays 1960s Style Fammor14

In a recent post I uploaded, I was talking about a recent holiday to Majorca. When we were kids (1960s) we went to Morecambe for the annual holiday.

Can you imagine telling your kids that their holiday destination is a little over an hour up the M6 and you're stopping there for 2 weeks!

It was bed and breakfast and the adventure park was the beach or the boating pool fishing for crabs.

Source:

https://www.meagogo.com

2Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Sun Mar 19 2023, 19:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Same with me more or less, but at Blackpool.

Steam train from Trinity Street, meeting up at the station with my uncle and his family, then what seemed like an eternity at the bed, breakfast and evening meal.

Always during Bolton's Wakes weeks, and always for the first week only.

I hated it.

My brother who is a few years older than me, ducked out of it as soon as he could, so I was stuck with my cousin, who even then I could tell he had mental health issues, and struggled later with it later on in his life.

I think it put me off holidays for years after that, even now I much prefer to stay at home if given a choice.

I have enjoyed my holidays away though, I've been long haul to places like the USA, Canada and Mexico for instance as well as travelled throughout Europe but I still don't understand those people who work all the year to blow it all on holidays - are they unhappy at home perhaps, to have the need to seek something new for a few weeks before returning to their 'prison'?

I don't know.

Maybe I'm just easily contented.

I've nothing against Blackpool, even spent a week there with my daughter when she was little and took my mam along as well, it brought back happy memories for her.  We had a great time, but my mam's since passed away and my daughter's a child of London Town these days.

Time and tide wait for no man they say.

I wonder if I will ever see Blackpool again?

I think I would like to go there again, at least one more time - who knows.

3Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Sun Mar 19 2023, 22:39

kabetz

David Ngog
David Ngog

I always wondered how great it must be if you actually lived in Morecambe because basically as a kid you were on holiday 52 weeks of the year.

4Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Mon Mar 20 2023, 09:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mum and dad had a touring caravan in the 80's and very early 90's and we used to go to Bolton Le Sands (the village next door to Morecambe) as well as down to Devon and Wales for the school holidays.

Have lot's of fond memories from there with family. Everyone used to go fishing at Arnside and what not.

My dad wanted to go to Workington for some reason a few years back and we decided to stop the night coming back in a Travel Lodge in Morecambe town for nostalgia reasons I guess.

Very run down and dilapidated. The place has changed so much since and not like it used to be!

5Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Mon Mar 20 2023, 21:20

kabetz

David Ngog
David Ngog

Just in case I'm missing something.

Is there a way on this site to like the responses that you get to your replies?

6Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Mon Mar 20 2023, 21:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

kabetz wrote:Just in case I'm missing something.

Is there a way on this site to like the responses that you get to your replies?

No, sorry, we don't use that feature.

I'll just assume you like all of my replies!

Razz

7Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Tue Mar 21 2023, 08:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What's going on? Is this one of those nostalgia threads?
I've been busy sorting out mum's funeral. She's not dead I hasten to add, but at 93, she's decided to get it all paid for up front, so ordered the family to sort it. 
One of her choices of music is The Ying Tong Song, so I'm pretty sure that, when the day comes, it's not going to be a dignified occasion.
She loved Morecambe, and we spent many happy holidays there, but my brother has most of the photo's, so, here's a picture of me in a deck chair, and with my first car.
Family Holidays 1960s Style Img_2717

Family Holidays 1960s Style Img_3213

8Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Tue Mar 21 2023, 21:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Many thanks to Kabetz for adding a bit of colour to my previously posted photo.

Bonce in colour. Nat will be impressed.  Smile

Family Holidays 1960s Style Nnn10

9Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Tue Mar 21 2023, 21:51

kabetz

David Ngog
David Ngog

boltonbonce wrote:Many thanks to Kabetz for adding a bit of colour to my previously posted photo.

Bonce in colour. Nat will be impressed.  Smile

Family Holidays 1960s Style Nnn10

Lovely. I'm sure it will add to your memories.

10Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Tue Mar 21 2023, 21:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

kabetz wrote:

Lovely. I'm sure it will add to your memories.
Indeed. Wish I still had that pedal car. If memory serves, it was red, and my little legs got it up to a fair lick.

11Family Holidays 1960s Style Empty Re: Family Holidays 1960s Style Tue Mar 21 2023, 22:04

kabetz

David Ngog
David Ngog

boltonbonce wrote:
Indeed. Wish I still had that pedal car. If memory serves, it was red, and my little legs got it up to a fair lick.

A dull red, but having said that the bricks in the background when I send it to colour are probably blowing the exposure. However, the photo is 1960 ish so your pedal car is unlikely to be metallic, 1 owner with a full service history. Taxed and MOT'ed 12 months.  ..dunno..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum